Michigan Technological University (commonly referred to as Michigan Tech, MTU, or simply Tech) is a public research university located in Houghton, Michigan, United States. Michigan Tech is known for academic excellence in engineering, natural and sciences, computing, technology, and environmental studies.
MTU has several innovative programs that would be of interest to Appropedia readers including:
- Peace Corps Masters International Program - the nation's largest Master's International campus.
- Michigan Tech offers a Graduate Fellowship to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
|MTU graduate student discusses energy conservation in Houghton|
There are also several research groups at MTU that specialize in sustainability, renewable energy, and OSAT.
- Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Research Group uses Appropedia here
Free and Open Source Offerings at MTU
- MSE4777/MSE5777/EE4777/EE5777 Open-source 3-D printing - teaches OpenSCAD, FreeCAD, Blender, Arduino, and RepRap 3-D printing
- MY5490/EE5490 - Solar Photovoltaic Science and Engineering - teaches NREL's Open Source SAM
- Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech is a digital repository offering worldwide access to research, scholarship, campus publications and other creative works by members of the Michigan Tech community. This repository is a service of the Van Pelt and Opie Library. Free access to over 5000 articles
- KRC weather station - includes live, webcam and full archival weather data, for solar flux - Eppley PSPs not heated or aspirated. Note that the "Diffuse Solar" channel is actually recording albedo (upwelling radiation).
- Free Inactive Patent Search
- Open Source Psychology Software
- The Comprehensive R Archive Network - R is ‘GNU S’, a freely available language and environment for statistical computing and graphics which provides a wide variety of statistical and graphical techniques: linear and nonlinear modelling, statistical tests, time series analysis, classification, clustering, etc.
- TFM (Traction Force Microscopy) - Open-source software for mechanobiology community from the Han Lab
- Astrophysics Source Code Library (ASCL) open repository. Housed at MTU and located online at http://ascl.net/, the ASCL now lists over 1000 codes and promotes greater research transparency. ASCL is indexed by ADS, making participating astrophysics codes easier to locate and cite.
- Michigan Tech Open Source Hardware Enterprise -- A student organization dedicated to the development and availability of open source hardware.
- The Physics Department sponsored a Research Experience for Teachers, which allowed the author(s) to partner with scientists and post-secondary students working in the Michigan Tech group of the larger HAWC (High-Altitude Water Cherenkov Gamma-Ray Observatory) collaboration on gamma-ray astrophysics. Free Lesson Plans
- Crazy Smart Summer: Girls Build Robots To Help People - Invent with Open-Source Software
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.