|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Automatic translations||Français, Español, 中文, العربية, Русский, Kiswahili and others|
|Cite as "Appropedia:About". Appropedia. 2021. Retrieved 2021-06-23.|
Appropedia is the site to develop and share collaborative solutions in sustainability, poverty reduction and international development through the use of sound principles and appropriate technology, original research and project information. We are a wiki, a type of website which allows anyone to add and edit content. In order to contribute, we only require a quick and simple registration.
Sometimes, Appropedia has been described as an "appropriate technology wiki," but it is much broader than that —it is a green living wiki for all matters of international development and aid. Appropedia is an open site for stakeholders to come together to find, create and improve scalable and adaptable solutions. This can include sharing information and collaborating with others on how we can lighten our ecological footprint and live in harmony with nature and our environment in developed countries, or discuss eg low cost technologies for use in the developing world. A key aim of Appropedia is to provide this information, to support sustainable choices - sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives. For more about our motivation, see Appropedia:Mission.
History and collaboration[edit source]
Appropedia began in April of 2006. In the earliest stages it was a collaboration between passionate people from the United States and Australia, and quickly expanded to become a global project.
A number of other similar sites have "joined with" Appropedia since its inception, bringing many content pages, readers and contributors, including:
- Sustainable Development Wikia
- Village Earth's Appropriate Technology Wiki Project
- HowToLiveWiki, home of the Hexayurt
- The sGoals Wiki, a.k.a. the Sustainable Goals Wiki (sustainable business)
What Appropedia is[edit source]
Appropedia is a site for original research on sustainable development. We are not an encyclopedia (see Appropedia:Appropedia is different from Wikipedia. We welcome instead contributions of many more types of content, such as the following:
- Appropriate technology designs and guides.
- Open Educational Resources such as textbook-style information, tables, and figures.
- Best practices in sustainability, development, and all related fields.
- Documents such as books, project materials, and tutorials, made by nonprofits.
- Project histories and original essays related to our main subjects.
- Photographs and illustrations
- Information for finding supplies and help from anywhere in the world.
- Sustainability news (see Community action for sustainability).
- Links and information on organizations that relate to sustainability and international development.
- Collaboration pages for co-creating solutions.
- Discussion pages for commenting on work done and work that needs to be done.
- More - whatever aids the causes of sustainability and overcoming poverty.
People who make Appropedia possible[edit source]
The community of contributors and visitors that makes Appropedia work, and makes working at Appropedia meaningful.
The Appropedia Foundation[edit source]
Oversight of Appropedia is provided by The Appropedia Foundation, which has a global focus and an international board of directors. It is registered in California as a non-profit organization and has 501(c)(3) (tax-exempt) status. The Foundation's Federal EIN (Tax ID) is 20-8982657.
How to contribute[edit source]
You can head to Help:Getting started.
Please see Communications
Do you have a question about how to participate? Wondering what exactly Appropedia's activities are? Starting a website and wondering how it fits with Appropedia? See Appropedia:FAQ