Welcome to the home of the Hexayurt Project.
- What is it?
- The Hexayurt is a refugee shelter system based on work done at the Rocky Mountain Institute. It uses an approach based on "autonomous building" to provide not just a shelter, but a comprehensive family support unit which includes drinking water purification, composting toilets, fuel-efficient stoves and solar electric lighting. Other systems can be added in a modular fashion. Here is a one page summary (pdf).
- Is this for real?
- Yes. Both the American Red Cross and the US Department of Defense have examined the Hexayurt system in detail and found that it has considerable merit and utility. I hope that we will see it in use by international agencies within two years.
- The best place to get started is to read the slides from the presentation Vinay Gupta gave at the Pentagon in December 2006: Pentagon Presentation (pdf) - 20 pages, not much text, and the best summary of the system we currently have online.
- Can I have one?
Yes, the hexayurt is designed to be accessible to anyone. You can make your own, many people do for camping events. The do-it-yourself knowledge repository is at hexayurt playa because of the hexayurt's overwhelming popularity at the Burning Man Arts Festival.
- Projected Costs
- Shelter: $200 - $500+ per single family unit depending on size, climate and use duration
- Infrastructure Package: around $100 per unit
- Permanent use: Thermax HD (Dow)
- Temporary use: laminated hexacomb cardboard (Pregis)
- On site fabrication: Tuff R (Dow, widely used)
There are three shelter sizes, of which the middle size is shown.
- Stretch Around $100 per unit, 6' high, 72 sq ft
- 8 foot Around $200 per unit, 8' high, 166 sq ft.
- 12 foot Around $300 per unit, 12' high, 166 sq ft. Resembles a space age cabin, full standing height throughout.
Units take a team of three people around an hour to assemble. They are assembled using a 6" wide, 600+lb bidirectional filament tape, and anchored to the ground like tents. No heavy lifting, ladders or scaffolding are required.
Any wood shop or packaging factory can be taught to manufacture units in an afternoon. In emergencies, basic units can be manufactured on site with hand tools in half an hour each (only six cuts are required for each unit.)
- Infrastructure Package
- 1 Wood Gasification Stove (burns wood for cooking, 3x more efficient than clay stoves)
- 2 Cold Cathode / LED Flashlights (energy efficient area lighting)
- 1 Composting Toilet (model depends on location and we are still researching options)
- 1 Water Purifier (type depends on location)
- Rechargeable AA batteries (for stove, lights, radios etc), for use in solar charging stations.
All intellectual property associated with this project is public domain.
The ball is a satellite dish from http://www.gatr.com/
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Hexayurt project (61)
Pages in category "Hexayurt project"
The following 60 pages are in this category, out of 60 total.
- Hexayurt assembly
- Hexayurt basic education
- Hexayurt blue sky idea mill
- Hexayurt book
- Hexayurt construction resources
- Hexayurt contact
- Hexayurt cooling
- Hexayurt De La Wolfie
- Hexayurt events
- Hexayurt frame
- Hexayurt Frame TUE Research Outline
- Hexayurt funding
- Hexayurt gallery
- Hexayurt gas
- Hexayurt H13
- Hexayurt H13 Plywood
- Hexayurt H17plus
- Hexayurt H2
- Hexayurt H4
- Hexayurt H8
- Hexayurt Hexapavilion
- Hexayurt informatics strategy
- Hexayurt infrastructure
- Hexayurt mass evacuation
- Hexayurt materials
- Hexayurt military
- Hexayurt playa
- Hexayurt playa checklist
- Hexayurt Plywood
- Hexayurt Plywood TUE Research Outline
- Hexayurt press
- Hexayurt rapid deployment
- Hexayurt rapid deployment cardboard cost
- Hexayurt rapid deployment hinge and lock
- Hexayurt research agenda
- Hexayurt Safety Information
- Hexayurt schematics
- Hexayurt sewage
- Hexayurt solar
- Hexayurt tape
- Hexayurt tape dimensions
- Hexayurt tape information
- Hexayurt tape specifications explained
- Hexayurt Thermal Analysis
- Hexayurt todo
- Hexayurt water