Welcome! This page is the central hub for all matters related to Appropedia. Feel free to ask questions or make comments about specific pages or about Appropedia in general. For more technical requests and issues, see Appropedia:Site development.
Following up on references display[edit source]
I want to bring back up this issue brought up by User:Shapoklyak a while ago. We'll begin updating some of our templates to allow for better referencing, having DOI links for some articles and other new capabilities. Perhaps we can discuss this further, since User:Sophivorus is currently working on improving specific parts of Appropedia and this might be a useful project. --Emilio (talk) 16:27, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- For the specific issue that I brought up, the most robust solution would probably be to adopt Wikipedia's templates. However, this would imply changing existing Appropedia pages. It is probably easy to change "accessdate" into "access-date", a bit less easy to detect when "work" should become "website". Shapoklyak (talk) 19:25, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- @Shapoklyak, Emilio: I usually suggest developing local versions of templates, because Wikipedia templates are generally way more complicated than smaller wikis require. However, in this case, given that Appropedia is fairly academic and favors good referencing, and considering how awfully complicated good referencing is, I agree that updating the local templates from the Wikipedia versions would be the most robust (and maintainable) solution. Also, their development has been mostly backwards-compatible, so I don't expect many references to break here after an update. Sophivorus (talk) 19:58, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
While running the dead links script, I noticed a great amount of dead Dropbox and Google Drive links, probably with documentation files that have been shared on Appropedia but lost. Although it's not a great solution, banning these links might be a way to encourage people to share files through more sustainable platforms or to upload to Appropedia. What are your thoughts? —Emilio (talk) 00:58, 20 March 2021 (UTC)
- @Emilio I could add dropbox.com and drive.google.com to MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist. A friendly warning would probably be better but I don't think this is possible with the current software. A new extension would be needed. Sophivorus (talk) 13:16, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
help porting external content[edit source]
Author asked for help porting this to appropedia - http://coaching-cadres.fr/bs/Trap_Piege_Frelons.html -- Joshua Pearce (talk) 11:41, 10 May 2021 (UTC)
- We're happy to help! Is the author okay with licensing and all? Should we connect with them? Thanks!
- @Maidandre: could I please defer this to you? Thanks a lot! Emilio (talk) 17:02, 17 May 2021 (UTC)
- So I was checking the project out and it seems to be protected under a non-commercial license. I'd like to make sure the author is OK with releasing it as CC-BY-SA or if an exception is needed from our side. Maidandre (talk) 18:40, 17 May 2021 (UTC)
- @J.M.Pearce: I'm just following up on this. Do you know if they would be willing to release as CC BY-SA? — Emilio (talk) 18:27, 11 June 2021 (UTC)
- @J.M.Pearce: Hi Joshua, sorry for taking a while but here it is: Trap_Asian_Hornets_Non_Lethal_-_Piège_Freloins_Asiatiques_-_Vespa_Velutina Emilio (talk) 00:04, 6 January 2022 (UTC)
- It needs more space
- Does it need to be near the top of the page?
Re the space, something like the map on El Salvador, eg near full screen width would be better, at least in some cases, depending on the shape of the area?
Re the position on the page, similar listings I've put lower down on some pages: so the logic is stuff about the area of the title, then just before the 'see also' section (of which is a type, though very important type) local communities / (near you), within the larger area, eg South East England#Local communities in South East England (I do quite like the way the gallery is currently displaying), India (States, cities, projects?), etc.
So I'm wondering if a map, including page previews from hovering over the links, would be the best option generally (as standard)? (But still use the location data near top of page?) (I'm still a bit hazy as to why some previews include an image and others don't?)
I can see the usefulness of similar maps for topic and resource pages; not got very far with this yet, but eg recently set up a Ecosystem restoration page, and from search I see that there are probably some projects already on Appropedia that it would be good to link to under a heading like Local Ecosystem Restoration Community Action Projects (examples). What do you think? Happy to chat again about this kind of stuff some time fairly soon if that might seem like a good idea? Philralph (talk) 15:27, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- update, no rush but just wanted to add that United States, failed to load for me today. Background task taking too long? Also last time I looked I'm not sure links to State pages were included anywhere. This can be done via a listing / gallery if it's too problematic to do via a map? Thanks, and just to emphasise, really, no rush! Philralph (talk) 16:43, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- @Philralph: Hi! Sophivorus and I have been discussing this, and we promise to get back to you soon! We can definitely find a time to chat this month, does this work for you? —Emilio (talk) 18:39, 1 August 2021 (UTC)
Title convention for projects[edit source]
- How to make a <ADJECTIVE> compost bin (<AUTHOR>)
- How to make a compost bin (CCAT 2008)
- How to make a tumbling compost bin (CCAT 2017)
- How to make a small worm compost bin (Dana)
- How to make a kid-friendly compost bin with jars (Lorelei)
Our reasoning was that most users wanting to make a compost bin will google "how to make a compost bin" (see https://trends.google.com/) so having the projects named otherwise is wasting impact potential. However, we cannot just call all compost bin projects "how to make a compost bin", the software requires they be called differently. Adding the author between parenthesis works well and also helps us quickly identify the projects internally, but why not also add an adjective or two to appeal to users seeking for specific compost bin varieties? And so we arrived to the current convention.
We also did the same with the solar cooker projects. They are now all under observation until December 31 to see if there's actually any traffic increase. If there is, then we would like to rename all other projects in a similar fashion. In the meantime, please feel free to share your thoughts, objections, support, suggestions, etc. Cheers! Sophivorus (talk) 12:46, 24 November 2021 (UTC)
help requested with possible vandalism[edit source]
Hi all, I'd appreciate some help with what looks like vandalism to many CASwiki pages by User:Sm-neutron, and mirroring previous patterns by user(s) subsequently blocked. Most edits look potentially helpful but eventually become strange looking eg more than one end menu / nav links at the end of a page, moving internal links down below external links and possibly excessive use of new and / or conflicting categories, thanks. In view of previous instances similar to this I've blocked the user for one week. 15:41, 18 January 2022 (UTC)