Thanks for suggesting the Interwiki collaboration month - I left a comment there.
Are you in/near London? One of Appropedia's directors is there (Andrew Lamb) and of course we have some other contacts. We've casually discussed some kind of event in London - unfortunately I'm not likely to be there for that one, but I'd love to see it happen. --Chriswaterguy 09:56, 4 November 2008 (UTC)
Would love to work with you[edit source]
Re putting Sustainable Community Action pages here. In short: absolutely!
I think everything you're doing would be very welcome here. The only problem I could imagine is if you were covering political matters in a biased way, but as far as I can see you're not covering political activism as such (i.e. not focusing on particular parties).
We're also in the process of merging with Ekopedia, so things should be getting bigger and more active in the new year!
Is there anything that needs clarifying, or where you need help? Be sure to let me know.
PS looks like you didn't get the official welcome. Here it is...
Hi Philralph[edit source]
Thanks for the invite. Of course I'm on board. I don't know my way around yet, but I'm here. Tried to put the box on my user page, to no avail. Flowergirl
- Great! To get the box to show, you just need to replace the space between 'User sca' & 'Flowergirl' with a '|' Philralph (talk) 23:56, 26 June 2015 (PDT)
Aussome. Will do. Can we talk? I'm flowergirl.donna "at" gmail.com I can see you're a busy man. My feelings won't be hurt if it takes you a while to get around to it.
- OK, but best keep it to these wiki talk pages. (I've taken the liberty of altering your address above. Straightforward adresses run the risk of being automatically 'harvested' resulting in spam coming your way) Philralph (talk) 23:50, 28 June 2015 (PDT)
Great stuff[edit source]
Really great to see these place and event pages - these are important resources, and very complementary. I'll work on getting attention for these efforts - let us know if you need anything. --Chriswaterguy (talk) 04:29, 20 December 2013 (PST)
SCA template; blog post[edit source]
One of my goals is to communicate much more about what Appropedia is doing, starting with our blog - I just wrote a post about your work with SCA. http://blogs.appropedia.org/2014/01/10/sustainable-community-action/
- Thanks Chris, replied at User_talk:Chriswaterguy#Could_Sustainable_Community_Action_contribute_to_Appropedia.3F
Re "I noticed the 'Facts about...' box which doesn't seem to appear in the edit box, and seems to disappear if the redirect is replaced. "
Don't worry about the boxes. I don't understand their purpose, but they're something to do with Semantic Mediawiki (which we are using). I hope to understand that better in coming months as we work on this.
"Unless I hear otherwise I'll name the affected pages as eg 'Costa Rica, sustainable community action'" - seems reasonable. One important thing is consistency, and I think you're being consistent. I wasn't sure about the comma, but if it's consistent, it's okay.
Hi and Open CO2 project[edit source]
Hi Phil, I just came across your page via the Appropedia active users list - great to learn about these projects you're working on.
The "Open CO2" definitely piques my interest in more open data, and deliberately using visualisations of complex issues to aid in public debate/engagement. Perhaps there is some parallel to work I'm doing to better visualise how transport systems work, especially in terms of weaknesses of public transport networks and how to effectively improve them - see Transport Informatics, e.g. Travel time maps as one example. Feel free to contact me via links on my userpage. --PatSunter (talk) 23:50, 14 March 2014 (PDT)
- BTW: if any of your Sustainable Community Action pages you're porting here are transport-focused, please let me know. I'm working on improving the several pages in the transport section of Appropedia at the moment.
Mini libraries[edit source]
Hi Phil (nice to internet-meet you),
I just created the article mini library. It seems like it would fit in well with the SCA material. If you could take a moment to categorize it, I'd appreciate it. Great job on all the work you've done on green wikis over the years! --Ethan (talk) 09:24, 15 May 2015 (PDT)
- Thanks, Ethan. Just the resources section, plus maybe a few more 'meta' type pages to go. Maybe finished overall by Xmas. Philralph (talk) 23:50, 2 September 2015 (PDT)
African vernacular architecture[edit source]
I ran across an interesting website that hosts images of natural material buildings across Africa: http://web.archive.org/web/20201111173100/http://www.africavernaculararchitecture.com/ I'd like to post links to the various country pages on CAS. What would be the best place to put them? Maybe as a subheading under "Resources"? --Ethan (talk) 18:44, 9 October 2015 (PDT)
- Yes, subheading under "Resources" sounds good, "Images" as a sub-heading? Philralph (talk) 01:19, 10 October 2015 (PDT)
New Zealand ecovillage[edit source]
Hi Phil, I posted some articles about the failed ecovillage at Dylan Evans' talk page. It sounds like a really bad situation. We might want to alter some of the language used there, but I can't blame someone in Dylan's position for blowing off some steam (assuming he was someone who bought into the village). --Ethan (talk) 05:30, 29 October 2015 (PDT)
CASwiki invitation[edit source]
Hi Phil, Thanks for the invitation, it sounds great and yes, I'd like to take part. Can I just confirm how this works, is this a wiki within a wiki? And I just add topics here and mark them to CASwiki through categories? Just needing some guidance on that. Thanks! Felicity (talk) 23:48, 12 November 2015 (PST)
- Thanks for the explanation Phil, that has really helped me to better understand the approach being taken. I think it's wonderful to include all the community action here too. I'll add my name. And wow, you've brought across an enormous amount of information, that will be a fantastic guidance. I'll let you know if I have questions, I am bound to. Kind regards, 12:35, 13 November 2015 (PST)
Front page news?[edit source]
A few years ago someone pitched the idea of having a news feed on the main page. At that time it didn't really make sense, but now that you've been updating CAS news, I think it's an idea worth pursuing. I can see a couple of benefits here: 1) shows that Appropedia has an active community of editors, 2) balances the more static material that typifies the main page, 4) potentially invites more user participation, 4) can drive more traffic to CASwiki. I've made an example of what it could look like. Is this something you'd be interested in? You'd probably be the one updating it the most. --Ethan (talk) 03:41, 23 November 2015 (PST)
NZ News item[edit source]
Hi Phil, Could you please check that I've added the news item properly here: https://www.appropedia.org/Template:New_Zealandnews#News_and_comment. Cheers, Felicity
- Cool, thanks. :)
Young and beginning farmers[edit source]
Resource Index for Bioregions[edit source]
If you have access to a copy of the Permaculture Designers' Manual, you may want to read pgs. 511-513. Mollison & co. drew up an outline for a regional directory for all kinds of resources. It's a similar concept to CAS ("the system is best suited to computer retrieval" -- indeed!). --Ethan (talk) 03:36, 2 April 2016 (PDT)
- Philralph, could you help me with my wiki called Segapedia? It is at Segapedia. My user name is "Tiger Mum". Saftzie (Message me!) 00:47, 23 April 2019 (PDT)
Display on East Midlands page broken[edit source]
The above page is not displaying very well, just below the "Food Activism" subheading. I've tried to fix it, but can't see how to do this, as far as I can see some wiki markup is being transcluded when it shouldn't be ... possibly related to the widget you are using?
- Fixed now! Sorry for jumping in here uninvited... I was checking Recent Changes for bugs caused by the server move and came across this thread. This was caused by an older, unrelated bug (my fault, I left out a noinclude tag when I was upgrading Extension:Widgets a few months ago). It should be fixed now. -Roger (talk) 22:19, 10 June 2019 (CDT)
- Hi, Moribund, thanks for the Ecoworks link, now included. Please feel free to add in any further internal links to your short article if appropriate.
I'd love to learn more about CAS[edit source]
I'm always reading all your content, and I'd like to learn more about your interests and plans. I'd love to include them into some of the plans that we're making for Appropedia. Do you have some time to talk? I also left you a tweet, so you can recognize my contact.
"Inspiring quotes 2"[edit source]
Hello, Philralph. I have found way too many grammar mistakes on this article. Not just the grammar, but also spelling mistakes and non-captial letters. But now, the article is now sorted, thanks to my part of the job! And remember... Express yourself, be heard! --Auri (talk) 01:52, 18 January 2020 (UTC)
News templates[edit source]
Hi, hope you're well! I noticed that most of the unused templates are "news" templates, such as Template:Vietnamnews, Template:Zambianews, etc. I was about to delete them but I found you're the main author and that you're still very much active, so I'd like to ask if those templates were an experiment, or will soon be used, or what. Maybe I can help! Kind regards, Sophivorus (talk) 03:34, 12 September 2020 (UTC)
Re: user infobox image size[edit source]
Organization infobox[edit source]
We're starting to use infoboxes more and more as we develop the site. I was wondering, would you be interested in testing Template:Infobox organization for some of the initiatives you think are interesting? I'm even curious about the possibility of using that information later to collaborate with , as we've had some conversations with them. I'm sure that this would be super useful to get people interested in exploring sustainable initiatives in their regions. We'll start thinking about finding interns to help out with this in the future. —Emilio (talk) 04:28, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Hi Emilio, yes ok, I'll give it some thought Philralph (talk) 12:39, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot! Here are a couple of examples of how we're using them: Footsteps Ecolodge, Architecture for Humanity, Village Earth. Emilio (talk) 15:47, 15 December 2020 (UTC)