Mini libraries[edit source]
Hi Ethan, (nice to internet-meet you too),
I just saw your article mini library and put a link to it from sca's Sharing article. Yes, it fits in well with the SCA material. I'll think about a category, maybe 'Sharing'? Would you like it in the Sustainable community action topics category? If so I can send you an invite for Sustainable community action members (?) Thanks for nice comment. Philralph (talk) 09:36, 15 May 2015 (PDT)
Invite to Sustainable community action group[edit source]
I've nominated you to be an admin.
Welcome to Sustainable community action group[edit source]
Africa news[edit source]
Great photos![edit source]
Thanks for followup.[edit source]
Herbs etc.[edit source]
Hi Ethan, I try to potter around here but seem to have more good intentions than time... on checking my user input, I was surprised how long it has been. Yes, I like the herbs. The project you're doing sounds neat, I'd love the details but please don't be disappointed if I am not about all the time. I've a hope of working away at the herb category over time - guessing my sense of time is fairly malleable. :) Anyway, it's truly nice to meet you and thanks for clearing that spam. Cheers, Felicity
- Thanks for the link, Ethan. I'll see what's possible. I agree with you that Appropedia could be a great source of enduring info, it's a big part of the attraction for me too. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 17:05, 21 October 2015 (PDT)
- No worries. It's great to know you've been so productive! Thanks for doing that, it's so neat to have that content here as well. I'll just potter about with my fave topics when I have the time. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 21:19, 29 October 2015 (PDT)
Thanks for the categorisation Ethan, I am not terribly familiar with the categories despite looking over them (goldfish memory) and really appreciate you working out what should go where. :) F
Rachel Carson info box[edit source]
Hi Ethan, There seems to be a problem with the info box here: https://www.appropedia.org/Rachel_Carson. It's really beyond me to work out what isn't working with it and for all I know, it looks odd on my browser and not someone else's. So, I hope I can leave this with you to check out. Ta, Felicity
- Thanks for following this up. It all looks good now. :) If I find anything in my travels around here, I'll let you know. Cheers, Felicity
Spam terms[edit source]
Thanks for the fantastic work, in building the wiki and fighting spam.
If you happen to notice any patterns in spam page titles or phrases (things that are more likely to appear in a spam page than in a legitimate page) feel free to mention them. I can add them to our spam filter's scoring system. --Chriswaterguy (talk) 15:31, 16 November 2015 (PST)
- Replying to your reply: Thank you. I've updated the spam filter. I also had the idea of going through the deletion log, and added a bunch more from there. I tried not to make it too strict (people are unhappy when the spam filter blocks legitimate pages) but hopefully that will reduce the spam significantly.
- Thanks for the CAPTCHA idea - I've set a reminder for myself to ask about that after we get a new developer.
- I see you speak Deutsch - do you live in Germany? --Chriswaterguy (talk) 15:19, 21 November 2015 (PST)
Front page news?[edit source]
Great article![edit source]
Is this your manual? :)[edit source]
Hi Ethan, It's great to see you about. Thanks for all your efforts on Conventional Farming and your other great additions. Just wanted to mention that I think maybe this: https://www.appropedia.org/Permaculture:_A_Designers'_Manual is what you're looking for? It seems the apostrophe placement made it harder to locate. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 19:24, 27 February 2016 (PST)
- Happy to have helped. Have been there, done that, will no doubt do it again. :) Felicity (talk) 21:54, 27 February 2016 (PST)
Resource Index for Bioregions[edit source]
Repurposing and upcycling[edit source]
Hi Ethan, I didn't find the upcycling category with a search and I wasn't bright enough to do a category: check. But that said, I do view repurposing as different from upcycling, so I wonder whether we should have either two categories or combine as I'd suggested? Have a look at this blog post: http://web.archive.org/web/20201201110427/https://recreatedesigncompany.com/upcycle-vs-repurpose/, which I agree with in terms of the meanings. Also, since people might confuse both terms and look for either/or, maybe a joint category makes sense. Felicity (talk) 19:21, 25 August 2016 (PDT)
-- I think the simplest option would be a Repurposing category resident in Green living that doesn't cross purposes with materials reuse which is more focused on the engineering/bigger picture reuse than repurposing, which tends to be at the household sewing, craft and garage/craftroom tinkering level. I don't think it's going to hurt anything by having it as an additional category. I like the breadth of options available as I've written in the different areas and it works for me. But if it doesn't work for anyone else, that's fine too. Felicity (talk) 03:44, 29 August 2016 (PDT)
Thank you for all your awesome work and also your help on spam abatement. Just a quick update that we have now modernized our captchas and hope that (a) this will make user experiences better (it seems spammers had an easier time than members!), and (b) this will prevent more spam than our previous system (google rates our new method as much higher protection).
Salvage of WP content[edit source]
Hey. I'm a basic user on Wikipedia so can't view pages once they are deleted usually (unless the page is turned into a redirect leaving an edit history for example), but I will try to drop in on XfD regularly and keep an eye out for anything that might be salvageable for appropedia. Moribund (talk) 08:40, 4 March 2017 (PST)