Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Hi Roger. Thanks for info. Will msg if I see anything unusual, regarding setting up an account on cleantalk -- I can do this if you feel is necessary, otherwise not sure in the value that ... unless you think it will trigger "false positives" that will need undoing manually by an admin? Regards, M. Moribund (talk)
- Hey! That's exactly what it'll let you do, if you want to see them :) Totally optional. Edit: I mean, to be clear, of course we're hoping for no false positives. I'll be monitoring for a few days just in case, and if you wanted to see them for yourself, you're welcome to. So far it's blocked 4 people. -Roger (talk) 05:20, 9 June 2019 (CDT)
- OK, I've sent you an email via the wiki's email function so that you can see my email address. Tried to start an account on Cleantalk but get this message: "An account connected to site appropedia.org is already exist. Please follow instructions to re-store access to the account. " Regards, Moribund (talk) 14:54, 9 June 2019 (CDT)
- Apologies, your email was sent to spam the first time around! Appropedia's user-to-user email service was so old it didn't respect modern email security settings, and it looks like probably *all* user-to-user emails were getting sent to spam (sadly) by any email providers that follows DMARC (which is probably all of them by now) :O Anyway, that issue should be fixed now. I tried to add you back to cleantalk.org; their interface was also a bit buggy, but you should've gotten login details to your email address, and if you log in, you should be able to see appropedia.org there with approximately 150 blocked spam entries as of this week. Please let me know if it still doesn't work. -Roger (talk) 00:12, 11 June 2019 (CDT)
- Hi Roger. Firstly you might find useful to know that I have received appropedia email OK from 3-4 persons over the last several months. The odd email from wikipedia's similar email user function seems to work ok for me, sending and receiving. I am not aware of any messages going to spam, but I don't check it regularly. Maybe I should start.
- Secondly, thanks for the access key. I managed to access the CleanTalk "dashboard". I can see that many instances of new user creation are being denied by the software. Everything seems to be working fine. I am slightly confused about how a "false positive" will be brought to attention. Let us take the scenario where a genuine user wishes to start a new account, and the software for some reason denies registration... how will that individual contact anyone on appropedia to remedy the situation if they never have successfully created an account in the first place? I think you need to have a user account before you can email an admin or post on the village pump for example. Moribund (talk) 12:44, 12 June 2019 (CDT)
- Thanks for letting me know about the email situation. I'm glad you were able to read some emails, at least. I only found out about it when I wasn't getting emails and saw some in spam, then checked the message headers. Hopefully the fix will act as a further precaution.
- As for the CleanTalk dashboard, the only way to identify false positives is through manually inspecting the blocks. The tradeoff is less time spent filtering spam, but more time spent making sure nobody legit is getting blocked. Good point on them not being able to talk to us without an account. I'll add the webmaster email to the signup page so that humans can email us in case of a false positive. -Roger (talk) 18:36, 13 June 2019 (CDT)