Hi! My name is Felipe, I'm a freelance web developer from Buenos Aires, Argentina, specialized in MediaWiki and currently working for the Appropedia Foundation to improve Appropedia. If I made a mistake somewhere, please be cool, let me know and I'll fix it asap, thanks!
Time tracking[edit | edit source]
- mediawiki2latex - 2 hours
- Extensions, skin & scripts - 13 hours
- Templates - 7 hours
- Documentation, categorization, normalization, organization, simplification - 7 hours
- Research, emails, messages, talks - 2 hours
Site sustainability tips[edit | edit source]
- Overall, categories are old technology and should not proliferate. Only the most general, important and unavoidable categories should exist.
- Instead of categories, use the keywords parameters of Template:Page data
- If you want to create a category to track some work in progress, consider creating a simple list of links in your user page.
- Categories should contain no text, only pages and Template:Category data.
- Flat is better than nested: avoid sub-sub-categories as the plague
- Only create categories when there're several (say, 10 or more) pages for it. Don't create categories before needing them.
- Actively avoid complexity and strive towards simplicity
- Use meta-templates to reduce templates
- Avoid nested templates in content pages
- Ideally, template parameters should be simple key-value pairs: all markup and complexities should go within the template itself
- Keep a close correlation between template parameters and semantic properties, for example derivative-of and Property:Derivative of
- Avoid custom namespaces (given the extremely diverse nature of pages in the main namespace of Appropedia, there should be no need for custom namespaces)
- Merge related pages to have fewer, better ones
- Prefer well-supported extensions, especially Wikimedia-supported ones
- Keep MediaWiki updated and never modify the source code
- Convention over configuration and sensible defaults on templates
- Use modern web standards and structured data for rich results