Brief biographical note[edit | edit source]
Tom Stanton is Principal Researcher, Energy and Environment, at the National Regulatory Research Institute (NRRI), where he has worked since fall 2010. NRRI provides regulatory policy research and educational services for the 50 states and U.S. territory agencies that are responsible for public utility regulation, like the Michigan Public Service Commission. Tom specializes in policy research for distributed energy resources, energy efficiency, renewable energy, grid modernization, and global climate change. A life-long resident of Michigan, Tom worked for Michigan state government for over 32 years, with 10 years at the State Energy Office and over 22 years as a member of the Michigan Public Service Commission Staff.
Mr. Stanton has been an instructor in both in-person and internet-based NRRI training events and related workshops or conferences in over a dozen states and multiple countries. Tom has been an adjunct professor at both Western Michigan University and Michigan State University, where he has been an instructor for both graduate and undergraduate college courses.
Mr. Stanton earned a B.A. in Communications and M.A. in Journalism, both from Michigan State University, and an M.S. in Public Administration from Western Michigan University.
Current Appropedia interests and projects[edit | edit source]
Current research interests and projects[edit | edit source]
- Offsets and beneficial uses for greenhouse gases
- Microgrid and remote mini-grid policies for utilities and their regulatory authorities
- Public utility regulatory innovations platforms
- Participant in National Community Solar Partnership (US DOE and National Renewable Energy Laboratory, on-line community with >550 registered members as of 9 April 2021)
- ShareYourself.org -- ShareYourself is an open internet platform for projects that "do good." ShareYourself is part social media and part project management software. You can see a list of potential future projects for Tom Stanton there.
Major interests[edit | edit source]
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals of primary interest and emphasis:
- Donut Economics
- The Natural Step -- link to Canadian Chapter because they have good information introducing the concepts and good sources for additional information
- Open Space Technology, system for meetings where participants self-organize quickly and work together to accomplish things
- Pattern Languages:
Links[edit | edit source]
- Academia.edu — https://nrri.academia.edu/TomStanton
- LinkedIn — www.linkedin.com/in/tsstanton/
- Researchgate.net — https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tom-Stanton-2
Affiliations[edit | edit source]
- Appropriate Technology Collaborative -- volunteer, contributor, supporter
- Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association -- Member
- Michigan Energy Options -- former board member (1991-2005); current supporter
Friends and colleagues who are also Appropedia Contributors[edit | edit source]
- Michigan Technological University Professor Joshua M. Pearce