Definition[edit | edit source]
Agrivoltaics can be defined as the practice of integrating solar photovoltaics with agricultural practices, for siting photovoltaic production systems on or adjacent to cropland. It implies the symbiotic co-production of both agricultural goods and solar energy, with the intent of optimizing the combined outputs. An Ontario company calls Agrivoltaics "a perfect combination of solar panels and plants on farmland... to generate crops and energy simultaneously and without conflict."
The intent for this page is to provide an introduction to the topic, and then help users to find specific content based on geographic focus, climate type, crop or animal production type, and other factors.
- By geography: Japan, Netherlands, Philippines,
- By crop type -- plants, animals:
- Other specialty agrivoltaic opportunities, linked to research and case studies: greenhouses, aquaculture, hydroponics
Where does agrivoltaics fit within the context of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals?
Where does agrivoltaics fit within the context of the Pattern Language for a Conservation Economy and Reliable Prosperity?
Related pages on Appropedia[edit | edit source]
Scholarly literature about Agrivoltaics in General[edit | edit source]
- Barron-Gafford, G.A., Pavao-Zuckerman, M.A., Minor, R.L. et al. Agrivoltaics provide mutual benefits across the food–energy–water nexus in drylands. Nat Sustain 2, 848–855 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0364-5
- Harshavardhan Dinesh, and Joshua M. Pearce, "The potential of agrivoltaic systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 54, 299-308 (2016). DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2015.10.024, open access
- Majumdar, Debaleena, and Martin J. Pasqualetti, “Dual use of agricultural land: Introducing ‘agrivoltaics’ in Phoenix Metropolitan Statistical Area, USA,” Landscape and Urban Planning 170 (2018), 150-168, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2017.10.011 Open access
- Pascaris, Alexis S., Chelsea Schelly, Laurie Burnham, and Joshua M. Pearce. "Integrating solar energy with agriculture: Industry perspectives on the market, community, and socio-political dimensions of agrivoltaics," Energy Research & Social Science 75(2021), 102023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2021.102023, open access
- Pascaris, Alexis S., Chelsea Schelly, and Joshua M. Pearce, "A First Investigation of Agriculture Sector Perspectives on the Opportunities and Barriers for Agrivoltaics," Agronomy 10(2020), n12: 1885. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy10121885, Open access
- ScienceDirect search for more: https://www.sciencedirect.com/search?qs=Agrivoltaics
Scholarly literature about Agrivoltaics for Specific Crops and Animals[edit | edit source]
- Grapes: Prannay R. Malu, Utkarsh S. Sharma, and Joshua M. Pearce, "Agrivoltaic potential on grape farms in India," Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 23(2017), 104-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seta.2017.08.004.
- Rabbits: William Lytle, Theresa K. Meyer, et al., "Conceptual Design and Rationale for a New Agrivoltaics Concept: Pasture-Raised Rabbits and Solar Farming," Journal of Cleaner Production, 282(2021), 124476, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.124476, Open access
- Sheep: Kochendoerfer, Nikola, and Michael L. Thonney, Grazing Sheep on Solar Sites in New York State: Opportunities and Challenges Scope and scaling-up of the NYS sheep industry to graze ground-mounted photovoltaic arrays for vegetation management. Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, February 2021. https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs.cornell.edu/dist/c/9310/files/2021/02/Solar-Site-Sheep-Grazing-in-NY.pdf
Links[edit | edit source]
- American Farmland Trust: High-Level Guiding Principles for Solar Energy Development
- Coalition for Community-Solar Access, Community Solar And Farming Are Proving To Be A Perfect Match, April 2021 by Jean Haggerty.
- With funding from the U.S. Department of Energy, scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Argonne National Laboratory, and a growing number of universities are researching solar farm designs.
- NREL: Beneath Solar Panels, the Seeds of Opportunity Sprout
- Article in Ecosystem Services, Volume 47, February 2021, 101227: Modeling the ecosystem services of native vegetation management practices at solar energy facilities
- Article in Nature Sustainability Journal: Techno–ecological synergies of solar energy for global sustainability
- February 2021 Webinar Sponsored by Solar United Neighbors:
- Wikipedia Definition of Agrivoltaic
- Audiopedia Definition, on YouTube (Audio only), with links to additional videos about Agrivoltaics
- Search for agrivoltaics at U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Introduction to Agrivoltaics from University of Arizona
- Introduction to Agrivoltaics from Oregon State University
- Introduction to Agrivoltaics from AgDaily online magazine
News Media Reports[edit | edit source]
- Heckeroth, Stephen, and Carly Rixham, "Agrivoltaics: Have your kale and eat it, too" [Electronic article], Solar Today, Spring 2021, pp. 6-11. https://ases.org/solartoday/
- Prevost, Lisa, "Connecticut solar developers enlist sheep to cut grass and ease tensions [Electronic article], Energy News Network, 3 March 2021. https://energynews.us/2021/03/03/northeast/connecticut-solar-developers-enlist-sheep-to-cut-grass-and-ease-tensions/
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Floatovoltaics -- photovoltaics that float on water