Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Pearce publications in solar photovoltaic systems
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Khan, K.Y., Gauchia, L., Pearce, J.M., 2018. Self-sufficiency of 3-D printers: utilizing stand-alone solar photovoltaic power systems. Renewables: Wind, Water, and Solar 5:5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40807-018-0051-6 open access
- R. Krishnan and J. M. Pearce. Economic impact of substituting solar photovoltaic electric production for tobacco farming. Land Use Policy, 72, (2018), pp. 503–509. doi: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.01.010 open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, Jay Meldrum and Nolan Osborne. Design of Post-Consumer Modification of Standard Solar Modules to Form Large-Area Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Roof Slates. Designs 2017, 1(2), 9; doi:10.3390/designs1020009 open access
- Prannay R. Malu, Utkarsh S. Sharma, Joshua M. Pearce. Agrivoltaic potential on grape farms in India. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 23, pp. 104-110, 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.seta.2017.08.004 open access
- Anurag Anurag, Jiemin Zhang, Jephias Gwamuri and Joshua M. Pearce. General Design Procedures for Airport-Based Solar Photovoltaic Systems. Energies 2017, 10(8), 1194; doi:10.3390/en10081194 open access
- Ram Krishnan, Amber Haselhuhn, Joshua M. Pearce Technical Solar Photovoltaic Potential of Scaled Parking Lot Canopies- A Case Study of Walmart U.S.A. RISUS - Journal on Innovation and Sustainability 8(2) - 2017 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.24212/2179-3565.2017v8i2p104-125 open access
- Shan Zhong, Pratiksha Rakhe and Joshua M. Pearce. Energy Payback Time of a Solar Photovoltaic Powered Waste Plastic Recyclebot System. Recycling 2017, 2(2), 10; doi: 10.3390/recycling2020010 open access
- Adam M. Pringle, R.M. Handler, J.M. Pearce. Aquavoltaics: Synergies for dual use of water area for solar photovoltaic electricity generation and aquaculture. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 80, (2017), pp. 572–584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.05.191 open access
- Siddharth R. Wadhawan & Joshua M. Pearce,Power and energy potential of mass-scale photovoltaic noise barrier deployment: A case study for the U.S. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 80, pp. 125–132, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.05.223 Open access
- Aishwarya S. Mundada, Emily W. Prehoda, Joshua M. Pearce. U.S. market for solar photovoltaic plug-and-play systems. Renewable Energy. 103 (2017) pp. 255–264. DOI:10.1016/j.renene.2016.11.034 open access
- B.T. Wittbrodt & J.M. Pearce. 3-D printing solar photovoltaic racking in developing world. Energy for Sustainable Development 36, pp. 1-5 (2017). DOI:10.1016/j.esd.2016.08.001 open access
- Aishwarya S. Mundada, , Yuenyong Nilsiam , Joshua M. Pearce. A review of technical requirements for plug-and-play solar photovoltaic microinverter systems in the United States. Solar Energy 135, (2016), pp. 455–470. doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2016.06.002 open access
- Jephias Gwamuri, Dhiogo Franco, Khalid Y. Khan, Lucia Gauchia and Joshua M. Pearce. High-Efficiency Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Sustainable Development. Machines 2016, 4(1), 3; doi: 10.3390/machines4010003 open access
- Svetlana V. Obydenkova and Joshua M. Pearce. Technical viability of mobile solar photovoltaic systems for indigenous nomadic communities in northern latitudes. Renewable Energy, 89,253–267 (2016). DOI:10.1016/j.renene.2015.12.036 open access
- Harshavardhan Dinesh, Joshua M. Pearce, The potential of agrivoltaic systems, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 54, 299-308 (2016). DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2015.10.024, open access
- Z. Du, D. Denkenberger, J.M. Pearce, Solar photovoltaic powered on-site ammonia production for nitrogen fertilization, Solar Energy, 122, 562-568 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2015.09.035 open access
- Heidari, N., Gwamuri, J., Townsend, T.,Pearce, J.M. (2015). Impact of Snow and Ground Interference on Photovoltaic Electric System Performance. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5(6),1680-1685, (2015). doi: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2015.2466448 open access
- Andrews, R.W.; Pollard, A.; Pearce, J.M., "Photovoltaic System Performance Enhancement With Nontracking Planar Concentrators: Experimental Results and Bidirectional Reflectance Function (BDRF)-Based Modeling," IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 5(6), pp.1626-1635 (2015). DOI: 10.1109/JPHOTOV.2015.2478064 open access
- Kunal K. Shah, Aishwarya S. Mundada, Joshua M. Pearce. Performance of U.S. hybrid distributed energy systems: Solar photovoltaic, battery and combined heat and power. Energy Conversion and Management 105, pp. 71–80 (2015). open access DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.07.048
- Joseph Rozario and Joshua M. Pearce, Optimization of annealing cycles for electric output in outdoor conditions for amorphous silicon photovoltaic–thermal systems. Applied Energy, 148, pp. 134–141 (2015). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.03.073 open access preprint
- J.M. Pathak, P.G. Sanders, J. M. Pearce, Optimizing limited solar roof access by exergy analysis of solar thermal, photovoltaic, and hybrid photovoltaic thermal systems, Applied Energy, 120, pp. 115-124 (2014). Open access
- J. Rozario, A.H. Vora, S.K. Debnath, M.J.M. Pathak, J.M. Pearce, The effects of dispatch strategy on electrical performance of amorphous silicon-based solar photovoltaic-thermal systems, Renewable Energy 68, pp. 459–465 (2014). open access
- M.P. Brennan, A.L. Abramase, R.W. Andrews, J. M. Pearce, Effects of spectral albedo on solar photovoltaic devices, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 124, pp. 111-116,(2014). open access
- Andrews, Rob W.; Pollard, Andrew; Pearce, Joshua M., "Photovoltaic system performance enhancement with non-tracking planar concentrators: Experimental results and BDRF based modelling," Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 2013 IEEE 39th, pp.0229,0234, 16-21 June 2013. doi: 10.1109/PVSC.2013.6744136
- O. Ormachea ; A. Abrahamse ; N. Tolavi ; F. Romero ; O. Urquidi ; J. M. Pearce ; R. Andrews; Installation of a variable-angle spectrometer system for monitoring diffuse and global solar radiation. Proc. SPIE 8785, 8th Iberoamerican Optics Meeting and 11th Latin American Meeting on Optics, Lasers, and Applications, 87850M (November 18, 2013); DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2025480
- Z. Dereli, C. Yücedağ and J. M. Pearce, “Simple and Low-Cost Method of Planning for Tree Growth and Lifetime Effects on Solar Photovoltaic Systems Performance”, Solar Energy, 95, pp.300-307 (2013). open access
- R. W. Andrews, A. Pollard, J. M. Pearce, “The Effects of Snowfall on Solar Photovoltaic Performance ”, Solar Energy 92, 8497 (2013). open access
- H.T. Nguyen and J.M. Pearce, “Automated Quantification of Solar Photovoltaic Potential in Cities” International Review for Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development 1(1), 57-70 (2013).. Open access
- A.H. Nosrat, L.G. Swan, J.M. Pearce, "Improved Performance of Hybrid Photovoltaic-Trigeneration Systems Over Photovoltaic-Cogen Systems Including Effects of Battery Storage", Energy 49, pp. 366-374 (2013). open access.
- Omar Ormachea, Faviola Romero, Oscar Urquidi, Augusta Abrahamse, Joshua Pearce, Matthew de Vuono, Rob Andrews. Desarrollo de un sistema de monitoreo de radiación solar basado en un espectrómetro de amplio espectro y análisis de resultados preliminares. Procedings of the Simposio Nacional en Energías Renovables, Cochabamba, Bolivia, 2012. pages 97-104. open access
- R. Andrews, A. Pollard, J. M. Pearce, “Improved parametric empirical determination of module short circuit current for modelling and optimization of solar photovoltaic systems”, Solar Energy 86, 2240-2254 (2012). open access
- R. W. Andrews and J.M. Pearce “Prediction of energy effects on photovoltaic systems due to snowfall events", in: 2012 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC). Presented at the 2012 38th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), pp. 003386 –003391. open access
- Ha T. Nguyen, Joshua M. Pearce, Rob Harrap, and Gerald Barber, “The Application of LiDAR to Assessment of Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic Deployment Potential on a Municipal District Unit”, Sensors, 12, pp. 4534-4558 (2012). open access
- H. T. Nguyen and J. M. Pearce, “Incorporating Shading Losses in Solar Photovoltaic Potential Assessment at the Municipal Scale” Solar Energy 86(5), pp. 1245–1260 (2012). Open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, Adegboyega Babasola, Rob Andrews, “Open Solar Photovoltaic Systems Optimization” Proceedings of the 16th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference, Open 2012, pp. 1-7. open access
- Faviola Romero, Oscar Urquidi, Omar Ormachea, Augusta Abrahamse, Joshua Pearce, Rob Andrews, Matthew de Vuono, “DESARROLLO DE UN SISTEMA DE MONITOREO DE RADIACIÓN SOLAR BASADO EN UN ESPECTRÓMETRO DE AMPLIO ESPECTRO (DEVELOPMENT OF A SOLAR RADIATION MONITORING BASED ON A WIDE RANGE SPECTROMETER), INVESTIGACIÓN & DESARROLLO 11: pp. 73 – 84 (2011).
- Rob Andrews, Nabeil Alazzam, and Joshua M. Pearce, “Model of Loss Mechanisms for Low Optical Concentratioon on Solar Photovoltaic Arrays with Planar Reflectors”, 40th American Solar Energy Society National Solar Conference Proceedings, pp. 446-453 (2011).
- H.T. Nguyen and J.M. Pearce. “Towards Automated Quantification of Solar Photovoltaic Potential in Large Urban Areas for City-based Electric Utility Planning”. Proceedings of the International Conference 2011 on Spatial Planning and Sustainable Development. Kanazawa, Japan A31-3 (2011).
- Amir Nosrat and Joshua M. Pearce, “Dispatch strategy and model for hybrid photovoltaic and trigeneration power systems”, Applied Energy 88 (2011) 3270–3276. open access
- M. Mostofi, A. H. Nosrat, and J. M. Pearce, “Institutional-Scale Operational Symbiosis of Photovoltaic and Cogeneration Energy Systems” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 8(1), pp. 31-44, 2011. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic Evaluation and Mobile Energy Audit”, Report for CanmetENERGY of Natural Resources Canada, SET126373X (March, 2011).
- E. Lee, A. H. Nosrat, and J. M. Pearce, “Potential of Using Renewable Energy Technologies for Tehran’s Public Transportation Sector”, 18th Annual International Conference on Mechanical Engineering-ISME2010, 11-13 May, 2010, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, ISME2010-3643, pp. 1-6.
- H.T. Nguyen and J.M. Pearce, “Estimating Potential Photovoltaic Yield with r.sun and the Open Source Geographical Resources Analysis Support System” Solar Energy 84, pp. 831-843, 2010. open access
- L.K. Wiginton, H. T. Nguyen, J.M. Pearce, “Quantifying rooftop solar photovoltaic potential for regional renewable energy policy”, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 34, (2010) pp. 345-357. open access
- J. M. Pearce, “Expanding Photovoltaic Penetration with Residential Distributed Generation from Hybrid Solar Photovoltaic + Combined Heat and Power Systems”, Energy 34, pp. 1947-1954 (2009). open access
- J.M. Pearce, “Household-Scale Cogen + Solar Photovoltaic Hybrid Systems: Effects on Penetration and Storage for Eastern Ontario”, Proceedings of the 4th Annual Canadian Solar Buildings Conference. p. 2, 2009.
- P. Derewonko and J.M. Pearce, “Optimizing Design of Household Scale Hybrid Solar Photovoltaic + Combined Heat and Power Systems for Ontario”, Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 2009 34th IEEE, pp.1274-1279, 7-12 June 2009. open access