This category contains lab protocols for Western University's Free Appropriate Sustainable Technology (FAST) Research Group.
FAST method template[edit | edit source]
Purchasing[edit | edit source]
- Mustang Market
- Direct contact: Paul Sheller firstname.lastname@example.org
FAST recommended courses[edit | edit source]
Computer vision/ AI[edit | edit source]
- Data Analytics Foundations ECE9603/9063 - help understand the basics of machine learning.
- Machine Learning ECE 9039 - helpful for students interested in the field.
- Advanced Data Analysis SS 4850G/SS 9850 from statistical sciences,
Solar photovoltaics[edit | edit source]
- ECE9013 - Programming for Engineers
- ECE9048 - Modelling Power Systems
- ECE9054 - Optimization Techniques
- ECE9407 - Sensor Networks and Embedded Systems
- ECE9042 - Power Systems Protection
- ECE9403 - High Frequency Power Converters
- ECE9063 - Data Analytics Foundations
- ECE9039 - Machine Learning
- MME9617 - Energy Conversion
3D printing[edit | edit source]
Resilient Food[edit | edit source]
Useful software[edit | edit source]
- Open Science Framework - citable repository MOST repository (Figshare - another possible useful citable repository for data)
- MTU MOST Gitlab group and Gitlab Methods
- plagiarism checker
- AutoHotkey - a free, open-source macro-creation and automation software for Windows that allows users to automate repetitive tasks. It is driven by a scripting language that was initially aimed at providing keyboard shortcuts, otherwise known as hotkeys, that over time evolved into a full-fledged scripting language (also free but closed source AutoIt (for Windows)
- Veusz- scientific plotting and graphing package
- Dia - diagram editor
- Taverna - for workflows
- Open source engineering software
- Edrawings viewer
- Netfabb STL checker/fixer
- gcode viewer
- Mozilla's Science tools
- How to record screencasts with recordMyDesktop
- Engauge Digitizer
- QR Code generator
- Getting software from MTU http://support.it.mtu.edu/Software-Support/IT-Funded-Software-Requests-Available-Fall-2016-/84033968/What-is-the-Process-for-Requesting-IT-Funded-Software.htm
- Python https://www.anaconda.com/products/individual
- FreeCAD Academy https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeCADAcademy/featured
Software to install[edit | edit source]
- KiCAD EDA
- Arduino IDE
- SAM (solar advisor model) from NREL
- Lulzbot Cura
- Libre Office
- GNU Octave
FAST Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Space[edit | edit source]
The Pearce group has been allotted a lab and outdoor testing facilities. ...coming soon.'
- The optimal tilt angle for PV in London Ontario is 34°
Local electric data[edit | edit source]
Western Manufacturing Capabilities[edit | edit source]
- University Machine Services - Ian Vinkenvleugel email@example.com
- Engineering Student Shop
- OS med tech infographic
Western Characterization[edit | edit source]
- Western Surface Science - https://www.surfacesciencewestern.com/analytical-services/ fees
* Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) * Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES) * Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM) * Contact Angle * Corrosion and Electrochemistry * Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) * Dynamic SIMS (D-SIMS) * Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) * Laser Raman Spectroscopy * Microhardness Testing * Optical Microscopy * Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM/EDX) * Sample Preparation and Processing Facilities * Surface Profilometry * Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA) * Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (TOF-SIMS) * Weathering Chambers * X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) * X-ray Diffraction (XRD) * X-ray Micro Computed Tomography (Micro-CT) * Partner Facilities * Training and Courses
- Surface Science Western, www.surfacesciencewestern.com SEM rates are $120/hr for internal academic if someone operates the SEM for you. We do offer training and discounted rates if you would like someone to use the SEM instead of us. Please talk to Mark Biesinger if you would like to arrange that.
- DSC https://www.surfacesciencewestern.com/analytical-services/differential-scanning-calorimetry-dsc/ costs are $70/sample at Surface Sciences Western. https://www.surfacesciencewestern.com/about/analysis-request/
- The analysis request form can be found here. Details on their DSC can be found here.
- Advanced Materials for Clean Energy Group offers characterization services for an environmental SEM at $70/hour. They use a Hitachi 3400N.
Physics[edit | edit source]
As far as photovoltaic device testing is concerned, we have the following
- AM1.5 solar simulator (also in conjunction with measurements at variable temperature, 20-300K if required)
- External Quantum Efficiency (EQE)
- Photocarrier mobility measurements by Time of Flight (ToF) and Charge Extraction by Linearly Increasing Voltage (p-CELIV)
- Defect characterization (Electron Spin Resonance) under irradiation
As far as solar energy material testing is concerned, we have
- Atomic force microscopy (AFM): morphology
- Kelvin probe microscopy (KPFM): work function, electron energy levels
- Scanning near-field optical microscopy (SNOM): super-resolution luminescence and photoconductivity imaging (various excitations, I.e. 633, 532 and 405 nm)
- Photoluminescence spectroscopy (405 nm excitation normally, other possible)
- Photothermal deflection spectroscopy (heat evacuation, thermal conductivity in thin-film solar cell materials)
- UV-Vis spectrometry (transmission, reflection, optical band gap)
- Electrical transport measurements at low temperature (20-300K)
- Auger electron spectroscopy (AES): surface/subsurface elemental composition
- Scanning tunnelling microscopy (STM) at variable temperature (20-300K): morphology, electrical properties
- both an IQE setup (with variable stage temperature and bias light intensity),
- environmental chamber (for temperature and humidity cycling).
Fanshawe[edit | edit source]
- Atonometrics Solar Simulator
Contains 52 – 400 watt metal halide bulbs (full visible light spectrum bulbs) Maximum light output 1200 W/m 2 Two test planes 2.3 m X 1.3 m each Does not perform UVA, UVB
- CEAST (Instron) 9350 Impact Test System /Thermal Chamber
Maximum energy transfer 1800 J Maximum speed 24 m/s Variable mass with the addition of mass plates Max chamber temp +150 C, Min temp -70 C Tensile Impact, puncture, izod, charpy
- Instron 5982 Tensile and Compression with Thermal Chamber
Maximum tensile strength 100 kN, Maximum compression strength 50 kN Maximum chamber temp o without grips +600 C, with grips +315 C Minimum chamber temp o without grips -150 C, with grips -73 C
- Tenney Environmental Chamber
Internal dimensions 762 mm X 813 mm X 914 mm Temp range -73 C to +200 C Humidity range 20% to 95%
- RHCSZ Environmental Chamber
Internal dimensions 1372 mm X 1372 mm X 914 mm Temp range -70 C to +180 C Humidity range 5% to 95% RH Stand alone or interfaces with shaker
- Cantrol Walk-in Environmental Chamber
Internal dimensions 3.66 m X 3.66 m X 2.44 m (12’ x 12’ x 8’) Temp range -35 C to +85 C Humidity range 20% to 95% RH Floor capacity of 454 kg (1000 lbs)
- Ascott Cyclic Salt Corrosion Chamber
Capacity of 2000 L (70.6 ft 3 ) Weight capacity of 200 kg Temp control +20 C to +70 C Humidity control 50% to 100% RH 4 atomizing spray nozzles, 4 spray down nozzles 2 X 100 L brine reservoirs, 1 X 150 L brine reservoir
- Singleton Corrosion Chamber
Capacity of 264 L (9.3 ft 3 ) Weight capacity of 50 kg Temp control ambient to +60 C Primarily use for ASTM B117 and MIL-STD-810H 509.7
- Data Physics Electrodynamic Shaker
Capacity 454 kg (1000 lbs) 3 axis (X, Y, Z) Sine sweep & dwell, random, classic shock, SRS Multimodal: Sine on random, random on random Raymond EMC Chamber 3 meter chamber Radiated emissions 10 Hz to 18 GHz Conducted emissions 10 Hz to 500 MHz Radiated immunity 80 MHz to 6 GHz @ 10 V/m ESD up to 25 kV
- Eckel Anechoic Acoustic Chamber
Dimensions 9.14 m X 7.62 m X 4.27 m (30’ X 25’ X 14’) Floor Capacity of 21 tons Background noise level 14 – 20 dB, 100 Hz cut-off Vehicle exhaust extraction system
- De-Ionized Water Treatment System
Produces water with < 5 microsiemens conductivity Provides water for all chambers humidity Provides water for corrosion test systems
- Spectrometer 200-1036nm
Outreach after[edit | edit source]
- Making good sci videos
- Best times to post on social media
- Synfig OS 2-D animation
- open clip art
- Free Music
- Unsplash free images
OS Videos[edit | edit source]
- Pixabay Videos - Copyright-free HD videos and footage released under Creative Commons CC0.
- Archive.org open-source movies - Movies under several licenses. Some licenses are accepted in the commons.
- Archive.org movies - Presentation of several collections of videos, some with free licenses.
- Prelinger Archives - over 2,000 public domain videos of "historic significance"
- Flickr Creative Commons videos - all assortments of videos.
- Flickr The Commons - a variety of videos licensed freely by many institutions
- European Southern Observatory videos - space and astronomy videos licensed under Creative Commons Attribution
- Open Images project, an initiative from the Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision. Many of the videos contain Dutch audio., so it's advised to remove the audio when uploading to Wikipedias other than the Dutch Wikipedia.
- NASA videos
- White House (Youtube channel)
- Kremlin.ru (Official Website of President of the Russian Federation) - All materials (fotos, texts, videos, audios, etc.) licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC-BY 3.0 Unported),
- Beachfront B-Roll - Constantly updated personal blog offering, for free, royalty free HD stock video, High Definition and HDR time lapse clips and HD animated looping backgrounds for any personal, corporate and commercial use. Downloads are a simple "Right Click Save" and the files are hosted by Archive.org.
- Free Stock Footage Archive Free glitch footage licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC-BY 3.0 Unported)
- Videvo Stock Footage Royalty-Free Stock Video Footage CC licensed (BY-3.0) or licensed by the company for easy use in non-commercial and commercial projects.
- Mazwai Stock Video Royalty-Free Stock Video Footage CC licensed (BY-3.0). Free to use, for commercial and non-commercial works, but you must credit the author of the clip.
Research Data Repository Approaches[edit | edit source]
- MTU citation search
- MOST Github stuff, MOST SCAD libraries
- Pearce Academia account
- Pearce/MOST Thingiverse account
- Pearce Research gate
- Figshare working with Github and Mozilla to enable 'Code as a Research Output' - See more at: http://figshare.com/blog/Working_with_Github_and_Mozilla_to_enable_Code_as_a_Research_Output_/117#sthash.JR5cCWxA.dpuf
- F1000Research and the Force11 Data Citation Principles - See more at: http://blog.f1000research.com/2014/03/10/f1000research-and-the-force11-data-citation-principles/#sthash.jWLW365U.dpuf
Open Educational Resources[edit | edit source]
3DP supplies Canada[edit | edit source]
Pages in category "FAST methods"
The following 17 pages are in this category, out of 17 total.