About Me[edit | edit source]
- Jarod Maggio is currently a PhD student in Environmental Engineering at Michigan Technological University.
- During his undergraduate degree at Northeastern University Mr. Maggio participated in a number of research endeavors, including Gerace Research Center in San Salvador Bahamas, Sea Education Association in Woods Hole MA, and National Outdoor Leadership School in Washington state. After receiving his degree in Environmental Geology, Jarod worked for a small engineering company in Boulder CO as a geotechnical engineer. Realizing the importance of global development work and eager to make a difference from a hands-on approach to learning, he joined the geology program at Michigan Tech – known for having the nation’s one and only Peace Corps Master’s International program in Natural Hazard Mitigation. His Peace Corps service was carried out at the base of the Philippines’ most active volcano, Mt. Mayon, where he worked with governmental organizations and local communities in developing sustainable fishing practices and early warning strategies for volcanic hazards. His current research focuses on measuring the climate, environmental, and health impacts of household cooking in developing countries.
Founder of Household Cooking Innovations (HCI), Jarod is motivated to identify solutions to poor indoor air quality in developing countries. By combining social entrepreneurship, human-centered design, and quality engineering HCI provides holistic solutions to one of the most dangerous global problems.
Interests[edit | edit source]
- Indoor air pollution
- Human-centered design
- Sustainable development
- Appropriate technology
- Social entrepreneurship
- Solar Photovoltaics
Experience[edit | edit source]
- Geophysical mapping and analysis
- Geotechnical engineering
- 2 years living in the Republic of the Philippines and researching geologic hazards
- 9 months living in the Republic of Tanzania performing ethnographic studies, indoor air pollution research and participatory engineering design in order to improve public health
- MY5970 Solar Hacking: Photovoltaics
- Founder of Household Cooking Innovations (HCI)