Bio[edit | edit source]
I obtained my PhD in Material Science and Engineering from Michigan Tech. My Ph.D. research was aimed at exploiting plasmonics and photonics to design and fabricate plasmonic - metamaterial based solar cells. The project aimed to explore the extent to which it is possible to manage solar radiation efficiently using plasmonic metamaterial perfect absorbers integrated in hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H)-based solar photovoltaic devices. This knowledge will contribute to increasing the efficiency and lowering the cost of production of solar cells. The project also included aspects of Solar PV devices fabrication, designing of open source ellipsometer and four point probe stations as well as off-grid and grid connected PV system designing and optimization.
I have been a member of Professor Joshua Pearce's Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology [MOST] Research Group since August 2012. My specialties include thin film characterization using Variable Angle Spectroscopy Ellipsometry (WVASE32 and completeEASY), Four Point Probe (4PP)systems, Scanning Electron Microscopy (FESEM/SEM), Atomic Force Microscopy and Profilometer techniques. My current skills also include thin film growth techniques using PECVD, PVD ( e-beam evaporation and sputter deposition systems), semiconductor/micro-fabrication processing, clean room techniques and 3D printing.
Research[edit | edit source]
|This user is a member of the Michigan Tech Open Sustainability Technology (MOST) Research Group.|
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of Photovoltaics.|
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of Open Source Hardware.|
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of 3-D printing.|
|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing and recycling.
Research Interests[edit | edit source]
- Solar PV Conversion Efficiency,
- Plasmonics & Metamaterials in Photovoltaics,
- Transparent Conducting Oxides (TCO (ITO, ZnO, AZO))growth techniques & characterization
- PV Systems Design and Optimization
- 3D Printing, Open Source Hardware and Appropriate Technology
- Snow effect on PV systems project, http://www.mtukrc.org/weather.htm
- 3D Printing of Solar Cell
- Renewable Energy Technologies and Energy Efficiency
- System engineering and integration
Research Activities, Tools used & Skills[edit | edit source]
Film growth/fabrication processes
- e-beam deposition- Federick system EB 12
- Thermal evaporation-Denton Vacuum E502
- Sputter deposition- Kurt J. Lesker Co (R301/MC2),Kurt J. Lesker Co utility sputter(ATX-600/RFX-600), Perkin-Elmer 2400 series
- PECVD cluster tool deposition for a-Si:H. - MVSystems.Inc
- Self-assembling Silver(Ag)nano-particles
- PV systems data monitoring and analysis
Thin film characterization
- 4 Point Probe measurements:- Lucas Lab Pro 4, MTU open-source 4-Point Probe system
- Thickness measurements:- Veeco Dektak 150 profilometer,Ellipsometry
- Ellipsometry characterization:- M2000 FI-ESM-200AXY SE, M2000 DI SE, VU-302 VUV VASE, VB-250 VASE, IR VASE
- Film morphology and compositional analysis:- JEOL 6400 SEM, Hitachi S4700 FE-SEM, FB2000 FIB, XRD
Solar PV devices characterization
- QE measurements-QEX10 PV Measurements, Inc"
- I-V measurements-Solar Simulator
Current Projects[edit | edit source]
- Optimization of Silver (Ag) nano-particles
- Fabrication of a-Si:H cells (PECVD)
- Characterization of a-Si:H cells (QE and I_V).
- Ag nanoparticles integration on a-Si:H cells and device characterization.
- Snow effect on PV systems study
Target Journals in My Sub-field[edit | edit source]
- Progress in Photovoltaics, 9.696 (2014), http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291099-159X, Ref Style. US$3,000
- Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 5.030(2014),http://www.journals.elsevier.com/solar-energy-materials-and-solar-cells/, Ref style , US$3,300.
- IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, 3.0 (2014), http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?reload=true&punumber=5503869, Ref style - IEEE, US$1,750
- International Journal of Photoenergy, 2.66 (2014), http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijp/, Ref style- IEEE, US$1250
- Scientific Reports, 5.078 (2014), http://www.nature.com/srep/about/index.html, Ref style - Nature, US$1,495
Publications[edit | edit source]
Book Chapters[edit | edit source]
- Solar Cell nanotechnology. Chapter 10: Advances in Plasmonic Light Trapping in Thin-Film Solar Photovoltaic Devices. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111868625X,subjectCd-NT10.html
Dissertation[edit | edit source]
- INCREASING SOLAR ENERGY CONVERSION EFFICIENCY IN HYDROGENATED AMORPHOUS SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC DEVICES WITH PLASMONIC PERFECT META – ABSORBERS.
Journal articles[edit | edit source]
- Exchanging Ohmic Losses in Metamaterial Absorbers with Useful Optical Absorption for Photovoltaics (I.F-5.578). http://www.nature.com/srep/2014/140509/srep04901/full/srep04901.html
- Multi-resonant silver nano-disk patterned thin film hydrogenated amorphous silicon solar cells for SWE compensation (I.F - 2.183). http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/116/9/10.1063/1.4895099
- Design of Multijunction Photovoltaic Cells Optimized for Varied Atmospheric Conditions (I.F - 1.563).http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijp/2014/514962/
- Reversing the Trend of Large Scale and Centralization in Manufacturing: The Case of Distributed Manufacturing of Customizable 3-D-Printable Self-Adjustable Glasses http://www.librelloph.com/challengesinsustainability/article/view/cis-2-1-30
- Limitations of Ultra-Thin Transparent Conducting Oxides for Integration into Plasmonic-Enhanced Thin Film Solar Photovoltaic Devices. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40243-015-0055-8/fulltext.html#CR14
- Impact of Snow and Ground Interference on Solar Photovoltaic Electric System Performance (I.F-3.165). http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=7219369&sortType%3Dasc_p_Sequence%26filter%3DAND(p_Publication_Number%3A5503869)%26rowsPerPage%3D50
- High-Efficiency Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Sustainable Development.http://www.mdpi.com/2075-1702/4/1/3/htm
- Influence of Oxygen Concentration on the Performance of Ultra-Thin RF Magnetron Sputter Deposited Indium Tin Oxide Films as a Top Electrode for Photovoltaic Devices I.F-2.651). http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/9/1/63/html
- A New Method of Preparing Highly Conductive Ultra-Thin Indium Tin Oxide for Plasmonic-Enhanced Thin Film Solar Photovoltaic Devices (I.F - 4.784). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0927024816000416
- Open-source automated mapping four-point probe (2.654)." Materials 10, no. 2 (2017): 110.:http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1944/10/2/110/htm.
- Enhancement of Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Solar Cells with Front-Surface Hexagonal Plasmonic Arrays from Nanoscale Lithography (I.F - 2.054), Journal of Optics, 19, no. 7 (2017) 075901:http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2040-8986/aa7291/meta
- General Design Procedures for Airport-Based Solar Photovoltaic Systems. Energies (I.F -2.262) 2017, 10, 1194:http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/10/8/1194/htm
- A Study of Applications of 3D printing technology and potential applications in the plastic thermoforming industry (I.F - 1.645): http://iosrjen.org/Papers/vol7_issue8/Version-1/C0708011622.pdf.
Articles Under Review/Accepted/In-print[edit | edit source]
- Ambient-dependent Agglomeration and Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy Response of Self-Assemble Silver Nano-particles for Plasmonic Photovoltaic Devices. J. Phot. Energy
Conference Proceedings[edit | edit source]
- Controlling optical absorption in metamaterial absorbers for plasmonic solar cells. http://proceedings.spiedigitallibrary.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=2434713
- DESIGN OF PV SOLAR HOME SYSTEM FOR USE IN URBAN ZIMBABWE (Nov. 2010). http://www.appropriatetech.net/?q=content/icat-4-energy-paper-titles.
- The Viability of Nanotechnology-based InGaN Solar Photovoltaic Devices for Sustainable Energy Generation. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=9030478
- Open source 3D printers: an appropriate technology for building low cost optics labs for the developing communities: https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/10452/104522S/Open-source-3D-printers--an-appropriate-technology-for-building/10.1117/12.2269852.full?SSO=1.
- Open Source 3-D Printers: An Appropriate Technology for Developing Communities.https://osf.io/uq9g6
Other articles[edit | edit source]
- 3D-Printing Technology for Economic Revolution in the Developing World. http://theglobalscientist.com/2015/04/20/3d-printing-technology-for-economic-revolution-in-the-developing-world/
Slides and Vedeos[edit | edit source]
Additional pages to manage[edit | edit source]
- Spectrometric Ellipsometry Protocol Ellipsometry protocol: MOST
- Literature review Plasmonic Perfect Meta-Absobers for a-Si PV Devices
- Focused Ion Beam Protocol Focussed_Ion_beam_(FIB)_protocol: MOST
- E-beam deposition Protocol E-beam_Deposition_protocol:_MOST
- Four Point Resistivity and Conductivity Type Measurements_protocol:_MOST
- Perkin-Elmer RF Sputtering System-6 Inch_protocol:_MOST
- OSAT Project Chicken_Feed_Holder
- Solar Powered 3D Printer Solar_Panels_holders_(Solar_powered_delta)
- Chenlong Nanobeads Project