Biography[edit | edit source]
Goutham Vishwanath Ravichandran | Michigan Technological University | email@example.com | +1 (906)-275-9914
I am a master's student at Michigan Technological University, pursuing graduate coursework under the Electrical and Computer Engineering department. I will be specializing in power systems and renewable energy technologies and am expecting to graduate by Summer 2018. The courses at Tech under eminent professors - Prof. Joshua Pearce, Prof. Bruce Mork, Prof. Sumit Paudyal and Prof. Anand Kulkarni have created a solid foundation in the line of Power Systems and Renewable Technologies. My life ambition of making this world a better place to live in has deeply influenced my career choices and hence I am a strong advocate for the use of renewable energies over conventional sources of energy. I hail from Chennai, India; Completed my Bachelor's in Engineering under the Electrical and Electronics Engineering department. I have actively participated in many national technical symposiums and presented various technical papers. I have excelled at technical quizzing events and won various accolades. I delegated at the the International Renewable Energy Conference, Chennai, conducted by the Energy Alternatives India where I presented a report on the role of corporate organizations toward a greener India 2025 to the representatives from the solar industry.
I have a two year professional working experience under Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), where I developed Mainframe programs for the banking and financial services, especially for the credit cards. I have been commended on my work ethic and won an award for my dedication towards project development and deployment as my team won the best Team award at TCS. Prior to working with TCS, I worked with Focus Academy for Career Enhancement where I traveled around India, training junior and senior students in quantitative and logical reasoning problems and helped them with their personality development. I was awarded the best Intern based on the feedback received from the students regarding the efficient training methods deployed.
Volunteering with Blue-Cross, I was a part of various adoption drives and rescue efforts to ensure the safety and welfare of animals. As a Volunteer with Bhumi, a Non Governmental organisation, I was able to educate underprivileged children. Later as Bhumi branched out its activities to improve the environment, I was made the green Champion where I help setup the 'Think Green' project. As a part of this, we collaborated with corporate companies and educational institutions and discussed the roles they could play in shaping a better environment. Various lake and beach clean-up drives were organized across the city which amassed hundreds of eager volunteers. These volunteering experiences have helped to immensely contribute back to the society.
I am an avid sports fan, audiophile, bibliophile, computer gamer, conversationalist and hence I will never run out of topics to talk about!
You can find additional details about me in my Resume If you would like to collaborate professionally, please connect with me on LinkedIn
Interests[edit | edit source]
Academic[edit | edit source]
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Solar Photovoltaic Technology
- Power System Analysis and Operation
- Power System Protection
Co-Curricular[edit | edit source]
- Soccer - I represent the Indian students Association team at Michigan Tech
Projects[edit | edit source]
Grid Isolated Solar PV system - TBD [Jan 2017 - Present]
Contingency Analysis on a standard 14-Bus IEEE system using Newton-Raphson method power flow studies [Sep 2016 - Dec 2016]
- As a team of two, we performed the contingency analysis on a standard 14 Bus IEEE system.
- Newton-Raphson technique was used to perform power flow analysis.
- The project exposed the vulnerabilities in the system based on the initially assumed parameters.
- contingency ranking highlighted the magnitude of impact due to a contingency on the nominal operation of the system.
- The algorithm to obtain the ranking and perform the load flow studies was implemented using MATLAB software and the results were verified using the ASPEN - Oneliner and powerflow software.
- This was presented as a part of the term project for the course EE5200 - Advanced Power System Analysis
Transmission Loss Allocation and Pricing using MW-Mile method for bilateral transactions on a standard 14 Bus IEEE System [Sep 2016 - Dec 2016]
- As a team of three, we determined the Transmission loss allocation and pricing for a set of bilateral transactions using the MW-Mile Method and Bailek's loss allocation algorithm.
- A standard 14-Bus IEEE system was considered involving two random bilateral transactions for simulation purposes.
- The transmission loss evolving from the introduction of the bilateral transaction was isolated and allocated appropriately.
- This was presented as a part of the term project for the course EE5230 - Power System Operation
Prepaid Energy Tracking System with Power Theft Detection in overhead transmission line systems [Nov 2012 - Mar 2013]
- As a team of two, we developed a system to keep track of the prepaid energy transactions which involved detection of power theft from overhead transmission line systems.
- Modified automatic metering instruments were used to simulate this system.
- The proposed system was predicted to curb the passive wastage of electricity.
- This was my undergraduate final project.
Publications[edit | edit source]
Portable Stand-alone Virtual Instruments [Jun 2013 - Nov 2013]
- As a team of two, we improvised the existing concept of Portable Virtual Instruments
- compared the algorithms to be used for the configuration of a Portable Stand-alone Virtual Instrument
- Portable — Standalone virtual instruments," in Engineering (NUiCONE), 2013 Nirma University International Conference on, vol., no., pp.1-5, 28-30 Nov. 2013 doi: 10.1109/NUiCONE.2013.6780170: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6780170&isnumber=6780060
Skills[edit | edit source]
- ASPEN - Oneliner and Powerflow
- ATP Draw
- Microsoft Office Tools
- Mainframes - JCL, COBOL, CICS
- DB2, SQL