Michigan Technological University (commonly referred to as Michigan Tech, MTU, or simply Tech) is a public research university located in Houghton, Michigan, United States. Michigan Tech is known for academic excellence in engineering, natural and sciences, computing, technology, and environmental studies.
Programs[edit | edit source]
MTU has several innovative programs that would be of interest to Appropedia readers including:
- Peace Corps Masters International Program - the nation's largest Master's International campus.
- Michigan Tech offers a Graduate Fellowship to Returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
Research Groups[edit | edit source]
There are also several research groups at MTU that specialize in sustainability, renewable energy, and OSAT.
- Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Research Group uses Appropedia here
Free and Open Source Offerings at MTU[edit | edit source]
Courses[edit | edit source]
- MSE4777/MSE5777/EE4777/EE5777 Open-source 3-D printing - teaches OpenSCAD, FreeCAD, Blender, Arduino, and RepRap 3-D printing
- MY5490/EE5490 - Solar Photovoltaic Science and Engineering - teaches NREL's Open Source SAM
Research[edit | edit source]
- Digital Commons @ Michigan Tech is a digital repository offering worldwide access to research, scholarship, campus publications and other creative works by members of the Michigan Tech community. This repository is a service of the Van Pelt and Opie Library. Free access to over 5000 articles
Free Data[edit | edit source]
- KRC weather station - includes live, webcam and full archival weather data, for solar flux - Eppley PSPs not heated or aspirated. Note that the "Diffuse Solar" channel is actually recording albedo (upwelling radiation).
- Free Inactive Patent Search
Software[edit | edit source]
- Open Source Psychology Software
- The Comprehensive R Archive Network - R is 'GNU S', a freely available language and environment for statistical computing and graphics which provides a wide variety of statistical and graphical techniques: linear and nonlinear modelling, statistical tests, time series analysis, classification, clustering, etc.
- TFM (Traction Force Microscopy) - Open-source software for mechanobiology community from the Han Lab
- Astrophysics Source Code Library (ASCL) open repository. Housed at MTU and located online at http://ascl.net/, the ASCL now lists over 1000 codes and promotes greater research transparency. ASCL is indexed by ADS, making participating astrophysics codes easier to locate and cite.
Hardware[edit | edit source]
- Michigan Tech Open Source Hardware Enterprise -- A student organization dedicated to the development and availability of open source hardware.
Outreach[edit | edit source]
- The Physics Department sponsored a Research Experience for Teachers, which allowed the author(s) to partner with scientists and post-secondary students working in the Michigan Tech group of the larger HAWC (High-Altitude Water Cherenkov Gamma-Ray Observatory) collaboration on gamma-ray astrophysics. Free Lesson Plans
- Crazy Smart Summer: Girls Build Robots To Help People - Invent with Open-Source Software
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "MTU"
The following 8 pages are in this category, out of 8 total.