International Mass Communication (JMC 330) is a course taught through the Department of Journalism and Mass Communication at Humboldt State University by instructor Jessie M. Cretser-Hartenstein. This course covers:
- Comparative press systems and theories
- Problems of international and crosscultural communications
- International news reporting of foreign presses and other institutions
- Survey of publications and broadcast systems
Appropedia Assignment[edit | edit source]
For this experiential learning assignment you will employ your journalistic skills and adapt them to a global audience. You will publish your own work on an international forum and participate in the creation and consumption of international media. Through this process, you'll have the chance to explore, and better understand, the role that new media play in international mass communication and globalization from a grassroots level. The platform we will be using for this assignment is Appropedia, a locally founded non-profit organization with global reach.
- Choose a topic that interests you from your country of focus. The topic must be original, as well as relevant and applicable to Appropedia’s mission and our class. Your topic could be a specific project taking place in your country, a profile of a relevant organization that operates in your country, an overview of a city/region that excels in some area of sustainable development or green living, a profile of a city/region that has a specific issue relating to sustainability, etc. (see topics below for more information and examples)
- Research this topic and compose a 400-600 word wiki article
- Create an account and user profile and post your article to www.appropedia.org (see Technical Instructions below)
- Make your page appear palatable and appealing with proper headings, photos, layout, etc. Be sure to caption your images and only use those that you have permission to publish (see Help:Images for info on uploading images)
- Reference all sources properly with links (see Help:Footnotes for help on special wiki citation format)
- When your project is complete, add it to the Selected Topics section below and submit the URL to your page via the Wiki Article Assignment link on Moodle.
Topics[edit | edit source]
Here are suggested topics/themes with examples of past projects below each one. Please pick just one theme and find an appropriate, focused topic from within your chosen country.
- Sustainable organizations in chosen country
- Grootbos Foundation - South Africa
- 7iberINC (Jordan) - Jordan
- Village Earth - Nepal, Bangladesh, India, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Bosnia, Nigeria, Namibia, South Africa, Egypt, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Mexico, Columbia
- Sustainable projects in chosen country
- The Patagonian Grassland Conservation Project - Argentina
- Igherm restoration and library project - Morocco
- Proyecto Tití Cotton-top Tamarin conservation program - Colombia
- Sustainable government programs in chosen country
- Helsinki underground - Finland
- Electric Jeepney - Philippines
- Bicing - Spain
- Sustainable places
- Ekoviikki Suburb - Transition Town - Finland
- Hammarby Sjöstad, Sweden - Sweden
- Environmental/Community initiatives, etc.
- New Chums - Save our beach - New Zealand
- Bangladesh Wind Power -Bangladesh
Selected Topics 2016[edit | edit source]
Please type your selected project and your username following the example format below:
*[[Example Topic Page Name]] **[[User:JessieMisha]] Jessie M. Cretser-Hartenstein
- West korea
- User:Patricktrotter77 Patrick Trotter
- The Kaipatiki Project
- User:CPeters Cara Peters
- Heart For India Foundation
- User:dianacasteel Diana Casteel
- Skate to Great
- User:Axel_Bandro Michael Blackwell
Technical Instructions[edit | edit source]
If you are a student in this course, please do the following to start your project:
- Create a User Account by clicking on "Create Account" in the upper right corner of this page. Consider using a name that represents you in a professional manner.
- Create your userpage using these instructions at JMC330 post userpage assignment.
- After creating your userpage, type a unique name for your topic (see the examples above) into the search bar.
- Click go and then create this page.
- Copy and paste the following code into the very bottom of your page (including the brackets):
[[Category:JMC330 International Mass Communication]]
- Create the content for your page - include text of article, headings, images (remember that images must have the proper rights), etc. More help on coding is available at Help:Contents.
- Once your article and userpage are both finished, you will post your project under Selected Topics 2016 AND submit the link/URL to your page via the assignment page on Moodle to complete the project. You must do this in order to receive a grade for the work you've done.
Pages in category "JMC330 International Mass Communication"
The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 200 total.
- Safe and Sustainable Transport Project
- Sahara Conservation Fund
- Sahara Forest Project (Jordan)
- User:Sam Machado
- User:Sandi Rae
- Sao Paulo Transit
- User:Simon Neate
- Skate to Great
- Solar Nova Scotia
- Solar power in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan
- South Korea: Smartphone vs Sustainability
- Stockholm Environmental Institute
- Sustainable Ireland: Cultivate
- Sustainable sheep farming in Argentina
- Sweden's waste-to-energy
- Swinna Poreba Reservoir Project
- Syria's civil war and the environment
- Syrian Environment Association
- The Amazon Conservation Association
- The Kaipatiki Project
- The National Programme for Safe Use of Treated Sewage Water for Afforestation
- The panya project
- The Passive House Association of Ireland
- The Patagonian Grassland Conservation Project
- The Three Gorge
- User:Tim Moore
- User:Tina Sampay
Media in category "JMC330 International Mass Communication"
The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.
- Morocco.jpg 434 × 290; 45 KB
- Ph med1793 11769.jpg 640 × 428; 142 KB