Hammarby Sjöstad, Sweden
Font Awesome map marker.svg Angle down icon.svg Location data
Loading map...
Location Hammarby Sjöstad, Sweden

Hammarby Sjöstad is a Sustainable city located outside of Stockholm, Sweden. After Sweden faced an Oil crisis in the early 1980s, they started looking for alternative ways to produce energy for their cities.[1] The goal of Hammarby Sjöstad is to use less than half the amount of energy used in the average Swedish home, and it looks as if they are meeting that goal. The first residents moved into the city in 2000, and when completed in 2015 they hope to have over 25,000 residents.

About[edit | edit source]

Hammarby Sjöstad and their use of Sustainable energy is paid for by the city council and utility companies. The homes and apartments are attractive, low-rise flats that draw young families and couples. Combustible waste is siphoned through tubes throughout the city, and is then burned in a combined heat and power (CHP) plant to supply heat and electricity to the city.[2]   The collection points are centrally located throughout the city, in both apartment buildings and public areas. 

How The Waste Is Collected[edit | edit source]

  1. User lifts up the lid to a collection bin.  The user chooses between three different chutes, either combustible waste, organic waste, or paper.
  2. The trash builds up in the chute, and when the sensors detect that the bin is full, it is transported to a larger single collection bin.
  3. Fans help power the waste through a series of pipes, sorting the waste once again.
  4. Organic waste is used for anaerobic digestion and composting, paper is Recycled, and combustible waste is taken to the heat and power plant.

The combustible waste provides over 70% of heat to the city, while the rest is provided by bio-gas generated in an anaerobic digester at the wastewater treatment plant. The bio-gas provides the remaining 30% of heat to the city, providing gas that is used in cooking stoves and to help power local buses.

Links[edit | edit source]

For more imformation about Hammarby Sjöstad, Sweden, visit these sites:

  1. http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3110514
  2. http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3096706
  3. http://www.sustainablepittsburgh.org/NewFrontPage/EcoMunicipalities/Eco_Municipalities_Hammarby_Sjostad_%20Stockholm.html
FA info icon.svg Angle down icon.svg Page data
Part of JMC330 International Mass Communication
Keywords housing, green living, waste management, sustainable cities
SDG SDG11 Sustainable cities and communities
Authors Elizabeth
License CC-BY-SA-3.0
Organizations Cal Poly Humboldt
Language English (en)
Translations Polish
Related 1 subpages, 10 pages link here
Aliases Hammarby Sjöstad
Impact 887 page views
Created February 19, 2010 by Elizabeth
Modified May 22, 2024 by StandardWikitext bot
Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.