Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Category:Practivistas Dominicana Program
This category is for Humboldt State University's summer immersion in Appropriate Technology and Spanish taking place in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. We are a group of U.S. and Dominican students working together with various community members to co-create sustainable solutions. You can see more program details or see projects from past summers at HSU Chiapas and HSU Parras.
In the summer of 2011, students studied appropriate technology and Spanish while working with community members of La Yuca to build a schoolroom from plastic bottles and concrete, lit with solar and homemade wind power from bike parts and newspaper press waste, that catches its own rainwater for cleaning and drinking.
In the summer of 2012, students returned to Santo Domingo to continue our learning and community collaboration. Students worked with community members of La Yuca to make the renewable energy system from bikeparts and newspaper press waste more hurricane safe and durable, and to make the rainwater catchment more potable and tested. In addition, students worked in Las Malvinas II to build a classroom from plastic bottles, concrete, sawdust, papercrete and industrial wood waste for 25 young students.
- TreeHugger article on the 2012 projects
- Spanish article from UNIBE
- Spanish article from Gikplus
- Article in Humboldt Now
In 2013, we will be working in La Yuca and in Las Malvinas. See Practivistas Dominicana Program invitation for more.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Practivistas Dominicana Program"
The following 70 pages are in this category, out of 70 total.
- La Yuca ecoladrillo schoolroom 2011
- La Yuca Energia Renovable a Pequeña Escala
- La Yuca rainwater 2014
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2011
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2012
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2013
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2013/Literature Review
- La Yuca renewable energy 2014
- La Yuca schoolroom renovation
- La Yuca schoolroom renovation/Literature Review
- La Yuca small scale renewable energy 2011
- La Yuca small scale renewable energy 2012
- Las Malvinas Botica Popular 2015
- Las Malvinas Botica Popular 2015/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas botica popular ecoladrillo 2013
- Las Malvinas botica popular fiber-crete 2013/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas botica popular hullkrete 2013
- Las Malvinas community center shade
- Las Malvinas destacamento
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom 2012/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom 2012/Timeline
- Las Malvinas hullkrete 2015
- Las Malvinas hullkrete 2015/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas rainwater 2014
- Las Malvinas rainwater catchment system
- Las Malvinas rainwater feasibility study 2014
- Plastering in Dominican Republic
- Practivistas Dominicana Program invitation
- Template:Practivistas Dominicana student projects header
- Practivistas Dominicana/Application
- Practivistas Dominicana/AT Gallery
- Practivistas Dominicana/handbook
- Practivistas Dominicana/How to deal with food culture shock
- Practivistas Dominicana/HW
- Practivistas Dominicana/literature review template
- Practivistas Dominicana/Page template and criteria
- Practivistas Dominicana/vocabulary
- Practivistas Dominicana/what to bring
- Practivistas projects
- Practivistas rainwater 2014/Literature Review
- Practivistas solar 2015