"Local authorities will not and can not sit around and wait, but Local ACTION 21 will be seriously weakened if national governments do not recognize our pivotal role in fostering sustainable development" Kaarin Taipale, Chair of the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI).
"We are entering the era of transparency" John Taylor / Community involvement
"Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person." Mother Teresa
"The proper role of government in capitalist societies is to represent the interests of the future to the present." Lester Thurow W - US Economist
"In democratic countries knowledge of how to combine is the mother of all other forms of knowledge; on its progress depends that of all the others." Alexis de Tocqueville
- "So the environment is not a luxury, not a Gucci accessory bag or a fancy silk tie affordable only when all other issues have been resolved.
It is the oxygen breathing life into all the Goals. It is the red ribbon running around our common aspirations for a healthier, more stable and just world." 
- "That in this globalized world “Every Man and Woman is Neither an Island nor a Continent" but ever increasingly part of a global community, mutually impacting on each other socially, economically and last, but not least, environmentally."
"One of the first conditions of happiness is that the link between Man and Nature shall not be broken." ~ Leo Tolstoy
"Please remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end" @TransitionLag
". . .if we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin." Ivan Turgenev
"Allowing ordinary people to participate in the policy-making process is a way of, if not overcoming, then greatly reducing a government's inability to see the bigger picture." John Turnbull / Community involvement
"A person is a person through other persons." Desmond Tutu  / Why grow community action for sustainability?
- "He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough" 
- "To see things in the seed, that is genius." 
- "A journey of a thousand [miles] starts with the first step." 
- "Above all, do not compete." 
- "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." 
Lao Tzu, Chinese mystic philosopher from about the 4th centruy B.C. 
"The good leader is the one the people adore;
the wicked leader is the one the people despise;
the great leader is the one the people say "we did it ourselves." Sun Tzu
"Too many people are against this or that, we want to be FOR something!" UNEP
"The twentieth century has transformed the entire planet from a finite world of certainties to an infinite world of questioning and doubt. So, if ever there was a need to stimulate creative imagination and initiative on the part of individuals, communities and whole societies that time is now. The notion of creativity can no longer be restricted to the arts; it must be applied across the full spectrum of human problem-solving." Our Creative Diversity, UNESCO / Arts, sport and culture
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." Alice Walker  / Community involvement
"Each time an elder dies, a library is burned." (Cultural heritage) Twitter @Jessica Wells
"Environmentalism can't succeed until it confronts the destructive nature of modern work - and supplants it." The Ecology of Work by Curtis White  / Sustainable livelihood
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate (but) that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, "who am I to be brilliant, talented, fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? As we let our light shine, we give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence liberates others." Nelson Mandela, after Marianne Williamson
- "We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom. The world henceforth will be run by synthesizers, people able to put together the right information at the right time, think critically about it, and make important choices wisely."
- "The more closely we identify ourselves with the rest of life, the more quickly we will be able to discover the sources of human sensibility and acquire the knowledge on which an enduring ethic, a sense of preferred direction, can be built."
E. O. Wilson
"By all rights this founding of a new peace is a spiritual mission and at the same time an economic mission, an environmental mission, and a humanitarian mission. It will require a collaboration of individuals and cultural organizations working together to succeed. Its sign of success will be the renewal of local communities around the world."
"Prayer for Peace (1)
Heal my wounded heart.
Grant me the courage to change my heart.
Let Peace live in my heart.
Fill me with compassion for those suffering in war.
Help me care for those in war.
Help me bring Peace to those in war.
Help me stop wars.
Help soldiers stop wars.
Help leaders stop wars.
Fill me with Peace and Justice.
Help me to work for Peace with Justice.
Let there be Peace with Justice among all peoples.
(1) Let each offer the prayer in accord with his or her religious beliefs, respecting the differences among the world's religions. May be reprinted in any form without permission, with attribution to World Conference of Religions for Peace (WCRP)." 
"Yet individual initiatives alone do not necessarily help to build strong, healthy communities (although they can free up time that could lead to greater community involvement), nor can they address the structural obstacles to genuine consumer choice the lack of organic produce in the supermarket, for instance. Some critics even argue that, pursued in isolation, individual initiatives can be counterproductive.
"An "individualization of responsibility", as political and environmental scientist Michael Maniates notes, distracts attention from the role that such institutions as business and government play in perpetuating unhealthy consumption. Moreover, to the extent that individuals see their power residing primarily in their pocketbooks, they may neglect their key roles as parents, educators, community members, and citizens in building a society of well-being." Worldwatch Institute
- "I believe in God, only I spell it Nature."
- "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."
Frank Lloyd Wright
"You can't have everything; where would you put it?" Steven Wright / Ethical consumerism
"Eat when hungry, sleep when tired" Zen proverb
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come." ~ Zen Proverb
"No snowflake falls in the wrong place." ~ Zen Proverb
"...we need to challenge ourselves to build toolkits that focus on the informal, the local and the conversational." @zenrainman