Ystruder: open source multifunction extruder with sensing and monitoring capabilities
|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing and recycling.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
Source[edit | edit source]
- Ville Klar, Joshua M.Pearce, Pyry Kärki, Petri Kuosmanen, Ystruder: open source multifunction extruder with sensing and monitoring capabilities. HardwareX 6 (2019) e00080. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ohx.2019.e00080 open access
Abstract[edit | edit source]
Syringe pumps are widely used in a multitude of tasks where precise volumes of an extrudate need to be delivered at a specific flow rate. In the past decade various open source syringe pump designs have accelerated scientific research and exploration by reducing costs and introducing new ideas. To further expand the capabilities of open source syringe pumps we introduce a novel syringe pump design, the Ystruder. It features a load cell to monitor the piston force. This capability enables clog-detection as well as development of advanced dosing algorithms. The Ystruder can be monitored wirelessly through a browser-based interface that is integrated into the embedded system. The design is modular and simple which facilitates different syringe and motor configurations, to meet a wide range of use cases. Finally, the Ystruder is not limited to functioning solely as a pump as it can be integrated into a wide range of devices such as three-dimensional motion systems. Here the dosing accuracy and repeatability of the Ystruder are quantified, and we demonstrate its functionality both as a syringe pump and a paste extruder for 3D printing.
Keywords[edit | edit source]
3D printing; Open hardware; Open source hardware; Syringe pump; Extruder; Additive manufacturing; Paste extruder;Monitoring; Sensing
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Mechanical Properties of Ultraviolet-Assisted Paste Extrusion and Postextrusion Ultraviolet-Curing of Three-Dimensional Printed Biocomposites
- Open-source parametric 3-D printed slot die system for thin film semiconductor processing
- Open-source Wax RepRap 3-D Printer for Rapid Prototyping Paper-Based Microfluidics
- Open-source 3-D Platform for Low-cost Scientific Instrument Ecosystem
- Multi-material additive and subtractive prosumer digital fabrication with a free and open-source convertible delta RepRap 3-D printer
- Open-source syringe pump
- 3-D printed magnetic soft magnetic helical coil actuators of iron oxide embedded polydimethylsiloxane
News[edit | edit source]
- Ystruder: New Syringe System Offers Feature Rich, Open-Source Multifunction Extrusion 3DPrint 73.6k
- Ystruder: estrusore multifunzione open source con funzionalità di rilevamento e monitoraggio Stampare in 3D
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server