New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
Open-source 3-D Platform for Low-cost Scientific Instrument Ecosystem
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Chenlong Zhang, Bas Wijnen, Joshua M. Pearce. Open-source 3-D Platform for Low-cost Scientific Instrument Ecosystem. Journal of Laboratory Automation 21(4) 517-525 (2016). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2211068215624406 open access
- This project derived from: MOST Delta RepRap and the MOST Athena RepRap
- Bill of materials https://osf.io/5kev4/
- OpenSCAD code: https://osf.io/v2pwa/
- Open Source Software: Franklin
The combination of open-source software and hardware provide technically feasible methods to create low-cost, highly-customized scientific research equipment. Open-source 3-D printers have proven useful for fabricating scientific tools. Here the capabilities of an open-source 3-D printer are expanded to become a highly-flexible scientific platform. An automated low-cost 3-D motion control platform is presented having the capacity to perform scientific applications including: i) 3-D printing of scientific hardware, ii) laboratory auto-stirring, measuring and probing, iii) automated fluid handling and iv) shaking and mixing. The open-source 3-D platform not only facilities routine research while radically reducing the cost, but it also inspires the creation of a diverse array of custom instruments that can be shared and replicated digitally throughout the world to drive down the cost of research and education further.
- Full Bill of Materials https://osf.io/5kev4/
- Follow basic build instructions for MOST Delta RepRap and the MOST Athena RepRap and then fashion the Athena Mobile Tool Effector and Athena Fixed Tool Mount