Free Open Source 3-D Customizer is a libre 3-D model customizer, which can be used in any design repository to democratize design using OpenSCAD. It i an extended library of libre3d/render-3d by Jonathan Foote to help interpret SCAD file, generate adjustable parameter inputs, and save to a new SCAD file. This is software for supporting the RepRap 3-D printer community, and was created by the Michigan Tech Open Sustainable Technology Lab (MOST).
- Source code: https://github.com/mtu-most/most-3-d-customizer
- See paper for detailed description and instructions
3-D printing has entered the consumer market because of recent radical price declines. Consumers can save substantial money by offsetting purchases with DIY pre-designed 3-D printed products. However, even more value can be obtained with distributed manufacturing using mass customization. Unfortunately, the average consumer is not technically sophisticated enough to easily design their own products. One solution to this is the use of an overlay on OpenSCAD parametric code, although current solutions force users to relinquish all rights to their own designs. There is thus a substantial need in the open source design community for a libre 3-D model customizer, which can be used in any design repository to democratize design. This study reports on the design, function, and validation of such software: the Free Open Source 3-D Customizer. It is demonstrated with a case study of the customization of 3-D printable external breast prosthetics. The results showed that novice users can adjust the available parameters according to their needs and save these to a new file on a website. This PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) library is free and open source and has potential for increasing the usefulness of online repositories to enable distributed manufacturing using consumer customized 3-D printable products.
Keywords[edit | edit source]
rapid prototyping; RepRap; 3-D printing; OpenSCAD; customization; open hardware; free and open source software; custom designs; distributed manufacturing; open design
See also[edit | edit source]
- Free and Open-source Control Software for 3-D Motion and Processing
- Multi-material additive and subtractive prosumer digital fabrication with a free and open-source convertible delta RepRap 3-D printer
- Mobile Open-Source Solar-Powered 3-D Printers for Distributed Manufacturing in Off-Grid Communities
- Open source 3-D printing of OSAT
- Distributed manufacturing with 3-D printing: a case study of recreational vehicle solar photovoltaic mounting systems
- Activation of customizer in latest build of OpenSCAD
Screenshot[edit | edit source]
Example[edit | edit source]
- Design and produce 3D printed, custom breast prosthetics - Opensource.com, Open Health News (reprinted)