Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Requests for 3-D printable open source appropriate technology
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
|This page is part of an international project to use RepRap 3-D printing to make OSAT for sustainable development. Learn more.
Research: Open source 3-D printing of OSAT • RecycleBot • LCA of home recycling • Green Distributed Recycling • Ethical Filament • LCA of distributed manufacturing • RepRap LCA Energy and CO2 • Solar-powered RepRaps • solar powered recyclebot • Feasibility hub • Mechanical testing • RepRap printing protocol: MOST• Lessons learned • MOST RepRap Build • MOST Prusa Build • MOST HS RepRap build • RepRap Print Server
|Winner of a the Gigabot social good contest|
Open source 3-D printing of OSAT is gaining traction as groups like Re:3D (makers of the Gigabot) have sponsored contests to encourage designers to think about using 3D printers for social good, Michigan Tech sponsored the 3D printers for peace contest, the Plastic Bank, Techfortrade and the Ethical Filament Foundation are developing a new social economy for recycled 3D printer filament and Tekla Lab sponsored a contest to make open source lab equipment.
Do you have a great idea for a open-source appropriate technology that could be 3-D printed? First check out all the existing designs here. If you can not find it then click the "edit" below and post your idea. If you have an Appropedia account you can tag it with your signature --~~~~
In the Fall of 2014, MTU will be offering a class in open-source 3-D printing. One of the assignments will be to design and prototype OSAT. The inaugural class of 50 students will be using this page for ideas.
Designers if you see a request for an item you would like to work on - you can tag it with your signature --~~~~ as well and leave a message for the requester or collaborators.
The requests for this class are closed as of Nov. 13, 2014 - but please feel free to add your requests to the list. To see what the results go here
- First check out all the existing designs here.
Corn sheller- done -- Joshua (talk) 16:05, 21 July 2014 (PDT)
Open source syringe pump- done --Joshua (talk) 14:20, 19 September 2014 (PDT)
- Treadle pump
- composting toilet
- Micro-Turbines for Water Power Emily Hunt (talk) 09:06, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Seed drill for efficient planting EgJmbrooki (talk) 07:32, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- high efficiency small wind turbine - use  EChe (talk) 14:52, 31 July 2014 (PDT)
- umbilical cord clamps  - Jayantchalke (talk) 18:55, 16 November 2014 (PST)
- limb prostheses Acroche (talk) 08:15, 16 November 2014 (PST)
- high efficiency water pumps, spare parts
- farming tools -- Goliath182 (talk) 07:42, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Lightweight Wrenches Jcmayros (talk) 07:31, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- low force mating gears
- hinges -- D4r3llo5 (talk) 07:45, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- clamps with gearing systems Bjholtz (talk) 07:47, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- low force buckles and snaps for easy assembly/dis-assembly of mating parts. Jcgerdt (talk) 07:42, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Parametric quick release buckles, similar to , but done in OpenSCAD and parametric. Only found 1 design that was adjustable, and that was in blender.Rmputzig (talk) 11:08, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- pulleys Lucas Wilder (talk) 07:36, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- high efficiency stove components
- thermometer (digital)
- blood pressure monitor <$20
- [stethoscope] --Bwbarker (talk) 07:45, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- otoscope with adult and children sizes Amwallis (talk) 06:57, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- small-scale wind turbine here and here and here
- Water filtration devices
- 3d printable and tuneable gravity powered LED light
- newspaper briquet maker Jwkubist (talk) 14:25, 17 November 2014 (PST)
- plastic bottle stripper - examples: http://www.utsumi.com.br/pet/English/filetador/index.html (particularly the bottom) and http://www.livedebris.org/Photos/Art%20photos/Tutorials/bottle%20cutter%20tutorial.pdf Zodvorak (talk)zodvorak
- Hydroponic halo ring - Top feed dripping device, Mvalessi (talk) 14:23, 15 November 2014 (PST)
- Chicken feed holder and drinker for small scale poultry projects Jephias Gwamuri (talk) 17:56, 16 November 2014 (PST) 
- Chain stay and seat stay
- Chain Tensioner Spoonless (talk) 07:55, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Brake pads Rivu (talk) 12:23, 17 November 2014 (PST)
- Bottom bracket
- PedalsRnmcfarl (talk) 07:34, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Front wheel (36 spokes)
- Rear wheel (42 spokes)
- Hub axle
- Brake set (stirrups and rods)
- Bearings (steer tube)
- Bearings (engine, hubs)
- Frame tubing
- Handlebar grips Ab91 (talk) 07:55, 13 November 2014 (PST)
- Rack Steven Helminen (talk) 02:52, 17 November 2014 (PST)
- Fork supports
- Mud guardRtgrady10