Welcome to CASwiki's London portal. Our focus is on Community Action for Sustainability. This includes community involvement through climate action, environmental action and many other sustainability topics.
The gift of climate and ecological emergency is that we all get to work together. Ordinary citizens and community groups naturally share what they learn, and what they know of what helps. Everyone can help, everyone has something to offer, everyone is welcome. We all need to design, make and grow a better future for ourselves, our communities and our world. Together we CAN. Yes we CAN.
News and comment[edit | edit source]
- Clean air ‘a right not a privilege’, says London mayor as Ulez is expanded, theguardian.com (Aug 29, 2023)
- The pedal-powered ‘zero waste’ grocer taking on London’s supermarkets, positive.news (Aug 03, 2023)
- Zimbabwe’s therapeutic ‘friendship benches’, coming to a city near you, positive.news (Jul 26, 2023)
- Cultural connections in the classroom, Wicked Leeks (Jun 08, 2023)
- Where property prices are set by what local people earn, BBC News (May 01, 2023)
What's here[edit | edit source]
London ( ) is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom, with a population of just under 9 million. It stands on the River Thames in south-east England at the head of a 50-mile (80 km) estuary down to the North Sea and has been a major settlement for two millennia. The City of London, its ancient core and financial centre, was founded by the Romans as Londinium and retains its medieval boundaries. The City of Westminster, to the west of the City of London, has for centuries hosted the national government and parliament. Since the 19th century, the name "London" also refers to the metropolis around this core, historically split among the counties of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Kent, and Hertfordshire, which since 1965 has largely comprised Greater London, which is governed by 33 local authorities and the Greater London Authority.
As one of the world's major global cities, London exerts a strong influence on its arts, entertainment, fashion, commerce and finance, education, health care, media, science and technology, tourism, transport, and communications. Its GDP (€801.66 billion in 2017) makes it the largest urban economy in Europe, and it is one of the major financial centres in the world. With Europe's largest concentration of higher education institutions, it is home to some of the highest-ranked academic institutions in the world—Imperial College London in natural and applied sciences, the London School of Economics in social sciences, and the comprehensive University College London. London is the most visited city in Europe and has the busiest city airport system in the world. The London Underground is the oldest rapid transit system in the world.
London's diverse cultures encompass over 300 languages. The mid-2018 population of Greater London of about 9 million made it Europe's third-most populous city, accounting for 13.4% of the population of the United Kingdom and over 16% of the population of England. The Greater London Built-up Area is the fourth-most populous in Europe, with about 9.8 million inhabitants at the 2011 census. The London metropolitan area is the third-most populous in Europe, with about 14 million inhabitants in 2016, granting London the status of a megacity.
Events[edit | edit source]
- July 2023-March 2024 How to Build a Low-Carbon Home, free display, no pre-booking required, designmuseum.org
- Sep 4 - 8, 2023 (Mon-Fri) Zero Waste Week, zerowasteweek.co.uk
- Sep 8 - 17, 2023 (Fri-Sun) Heritage Open Days
- Sep 15 - 24, 2023 (Fri-Sun) Great British Beach Clean, mcsuk.org
- Sep 22 - 24, 2023 (Fri-Sun) Big River Watch, theriverstrust.org
- Oct 01, 2023 (Sun) Silver Sunday, silversunday.org.uk
- Oct 2 - 8, 2023 (Mon - Sun) Good Money Week, goodmoneyweek.com
- Oct 08, 2023 (Sun) Homeless Sunday, housingjustice.org.uk
- Sep 15 & 17, 2023 (Fri & Sun) Global climate strike Friday, fightfossilfuels.net
- Sep 15, 2023 (Fri) Free Money Day
- Sep 21, 2023 (Thu) International Day of Peace
- Sep 22, 2023 (Fri) World Carfree Day
- Sep 23, 2023 (Sat) European Day of Sustainable Communities
- Oct 01, 2023 (Sun) World Vegetarian Day
- Oct 02, 2023 (Mon) International Day of Non-Violence
- Oct 07, 2023 (Sat) World Day for Decent Work
- Oct 10, 2023 (Tue) World Mental Health Day
- Oct 10, 2023 (Tue) World Homeless Day
- Oct 13, 2023 (Fri) International Day for Disaster Reduction
- Oct 14, 2023 (Sat) World Migratory Bird Day, worldmigratorybirdday.org
- Oct 16, 2023 (Mon) World Food Day
- Oct 17, 2023 (Tue) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- Oct 21, 2023 (Sat) International Repair Day, "Repair for Everyone", openrepair.org
Near you[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Co-create[edit | edit source]