The term climate assembly is used here to mean any citizens assembly considering, either exclusively or otherwise, a response to climate change or climate emergency.
The list could be expanded to include also peoples' assemblies, or other gatherings, for example of the kinds listed on the Future Democracy Hub happening in response to climate emergency.
Global assembly[edit | edit source]
- Global Assembly, Address the climate and ecological emergency, added 18:35, 10 December 2020 (UTC) ...Get involved: Global Assembly
United Kingdom[edit | edit source]
- Climate Assembly UK, The path to net zero, Climate Assembly UK full report, Climate Assembly UK. climateassembly.uk/report
see also: How should the UK tackle climate change? involve.org.uk
Scotland[edit | edit source]
- Scotland's Climate Assembly, added 18:02, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
Glasgow[edit | edit source]
Wales[edit | edit source]
- Blaenau Gwent Climate Assembly, March 2021
Local assemblies in England[edit | edit source]
Brighton[edit | edit source]
Brighton & Hove climate assembly, brighton-hove.gov.uk
Cambridgeshire[edit | edit source]
- Climate workshop, Histon and Impington villages, Nov 2, 2019. The workshop will utilise Sweden's ClimateView, currently in use at the highest levels of the Swedish government. This is its first use in the UK to create climate solutions at local level. ClimateView provides an evidence-based methodology that encourages all sections of the community to come together to collaborate on tackling the climate crisis.
- "Regional Citizens Assembly for Cambridgeshire" planned by Cambridgeshire Climate Emergency. Proposal presented to Cambridge City Council on 20th May, 2019 
Cumbria[edit | edit source]
- Copeland People’s Panel on Climate Change, copeland.gov.uk, added 15:44, 5 January 2022 (UTC)
- Furness Climate Change Citizens’ Jury, Nov 2021 - Feb 2022  Barrow Borough Council unveiled its ambition for the borough to become carbon neutral by 2037 in its Climate Change Policy and Action Plan, published in 2020. added 09:58, 5 January 2022 (UTC)
- Kendal Climate Citizens' Jury, "the UK's first ever Climate Change Citizens' Jury at town level"
Devon[edit | edit source]
- Citizens Assembly devonclimateemergency.org.uk, Devon Climate Emergency. Devon Climate Emergency Response Group is proceeding to organise an online Citizens' Assembly with 70 participants in summer 2021.
East Midlands[edit | edit source]
- Climate Assembly Nottingham on Facebook, added 15:27, 28 August 2020 (UTC)
Lancashire[edit | edit source]
Leeds[edit | edit source]
- Leeds Climate Change Citizens’ Jury: Commissioned by the Leeds Climate Commission in 2019, the Citizens' Jury recruited 25 randomly selected citizens over nine sessions to answer the question 'What should Leeds do about the emergency of climate change?'
- An oversight panel of key stakeholders met to ensure the recruitment process was fair and robust and to agree which 'commentators' should present evidence to the jury. The twelve strong oversight panel included representation from The City Council, the Chamber of Commerce and Extinction Rebellion.
- The citizens' jury commenced on 12 September 2019 and will run for a total of 30 hours over nine sessions, ending on 3 November.
Leicester[edit | edit source]
- Leicester's Climate Emergency Conversation, leicester.gov.uk
North of Tyne[edit | edit source]
- Citizens' Assembly on Climate Change northoftyne-ca.gov.uk
Oxfordshire[edit | edit source]
- Oxford Citizens Assembly on Climate Change, oxford.gov.uk, held over two weekends in September and October 2019. Many videos on the website.
Somerset[edit | edit source]
- Frome Town council hosted a series of free climate panels, 2019
Warwick District[edit | edit source]
- Warwick District people's climate change inquiry warwickdc.gov.uk, recommendations to inform future Climate Change Action Plan to be adopted by the Council by May 2021.
West Sussex[edit | edit source]
- Adur and Worthing Climate Assembly, September and December 2020. 18 recommendations covering biodiversity, education, energy use, planning, transport, waste reduction and recycling put before leaders of Adur & Worthing Councils' at the Joint Strategic Committee, in January 2021.
London[edit | edit source]
Brent[edit | edit source]
- Brent Climate Assembly, brent.gov.uk, Nov - Dec 2019
Camden[edit | edit source]
- Citizens' Assembly on the climate crisis, camden.gov.uk. Camden Citizens' Assembly held in July 2019. The Assembly proposals will inform a new Climate Action Plan for Camden to be published in 2020.
Croydon[edit | edit source]
- Croydon Citizens’ Assembly on Climate Change, meetings Jan - Feb 2020, added 10:56, 4 April 2022 (UTC)
Lambeth[edit | edit source]
Newham[edit | edit source]
- Newham Climate Now, newham.gov.uk, first session of Citizens' Assembly on Climate Change starting in January 2020.
Southwark[edit | edit source]
- Climate Change Citizens’ Jury, Nov 2021 to Feb 2022, , added 10:03, 5 January 2022 (UTC)
- European Assembly for Climate Justice W
The European Assembly for Climate Justice took place in Brussels from 26 to 29 November 2010. Over 250 people from ten European countries assembled for four days of debates, discussion, action and networking. The Assembly was organised following a call out from Via Campesina for 1000 Cancuns where people across the world would organise popular assemblies in the run up to the COP16. Activities included a Critical mass bike ride, workshops, a popular assembly, a conference and a "Sing for the Climate" event organised by the Belgian Climate Coalition.
Channel Islands[edit | edit source]
- Citizens' Assembly, Jersey Climate Conversation, The Assembly will meet for two months form the 13 March, with 9,000 randomly selected households receiving an invitation to join.
- Irish Youth Assembly
- Citizens' Assembly (Ireland) W
A Citizens' Assembly in Ireland in 2016 considered several political questions including climate change.
Recommendations, all passed by at least 80% of members, included: empowering an independent body to address climate change; Greenhouse gas (GHG) tax, including carbon tax and agricultural GHG tax; encouragement of climate change mitigation, electric vehicles, public transport, forests, organic farming, and natural peat bogs; reduction of food waste; microgeneration of electricity; ending subsidy of peat extraction; increasing bus lanes, cycle lanes and park and ride facilities.
The Oireachtas responded to the report by establishing a Joint Committee on Climate Action, which published its own report on 29 March 2019. On 9 May 2019 the Dáil endorsed the committee's report and symbolically declared a "climate and biodiversity emergency". The motion also requested a Citizen's Assembly to study the biodiversity loss emergency and how the state can improve its response. A "government action plan on climate change" followed on 17 June 2019.
As of November 2019, 4 local groups, see Map of climate assemblies, climateassemblies.org
Lisbon's Green PB: Starting in 2019 Lisbon City Council's first ever 'green' PB, part of Lisbon City's wider participatory budget, a €5 million budget to support climate change mitigation and adaptation projects selected by local citizens.
Starting in Oct 2012 a 56-member citizens' inquiry was commissioned by the city of Edmonton to help develop an energy transition plan.
- STATE LEGISLATORS ENDORSE AN INDEPENDENT CITIZENS' CLIMATE ASSEMBLY IN WASHINGTON
Assembly to be held remotely in early 2021. People's Voice on Climate
Resources[edit | edit source]
Networks[edit | edit source]
Other resources[edit | edit source]
Our Money, Our Planet[edit | edit source]
This report outlines some possible ways to make some progress, based on our experience and knowledge of participatory approaches, which put citizens into the driving seat of decision-making whilst improving transparency and governance at a local authority level.
One process is Participatory budgeting (PB). Another is Citizens' Juries and Assemblies. Both are discussed within this report.
We have also drawn on the findings of our series of 'Our Money, Our Planet' workshops. We held these workshops across the UK in 2019. Their aim was to explore how Participatory Budgeting might most effectively help to address our impending climate crisis, and its links to a Green New Deal. sharedfuturecic.org.uk
- Climate Assemblies, Includes guides to help start a climate assembly on a local level.
News and comment[edit | edit source]
see separate article: Climate assemblies news and comment
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Citizens' assembly W includes sections on disadvantages as well as advantages.
- Climate Assemblies, Includes guides to help start a climate assembly on a local level.
References[edit | edit source]
- update from website, accessed ~~~~
- sharedfuturecic.org.uk, Oct 2019, p. 7
- Adur and Worthing Councils, Jan 5, 2021
- Islanders encouraged to join Jersey's Climate Conversation, Feb 1, gov.je
- BBC News