West Malling is an historic mediaeval market town based in West Kent. Malling, West Malling and hinterland consists of the parishes of Addington; Birling; East Malling; Kings Hill; Larkfield; Leybourne; Mereworth; Offham; Ryarsh; and Trottiscliffe.
The area is unusual in that East Malling, Larkfield and Kings Hill are substantial communities with their own shops and facilities – however they provide the main commercial and industrial estates, leaving West Malling as a traditional market town offering retail shops, services and hospitality to the surrounding area. There are more than 500 businesses in the Malling area.
The parishes are within the Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council (offices at Kings Hill). The town is actually closer to Maidstone, County Town of Kent, than to Tonbridge; however both are substantial centres within easy reach of West Malling. 
Malling community action[edit | edit source]
Sustainability initiatives[edit | edit source]
- Sustainable Malling on - Twitter @greenmalling - pinterest (sign in maybe required). This wiki page can also be viewed as a resource and information page for Sustainable Malling.
- Kings Hill and West Malling Eco Hub on facebook.com, added 13:04, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
Climate action[edit | edit source]
- Extinction Rebellion Tonbridge and Malling closed group on facebook
Setting Climate Committments for Tonbridge and Malling, Quantifying the implications of the United Nations Paris Agreement for Tonbridge and Malling, Feb 2020 carbonbudget.manchester.ac.uk
Opportunities to reduce energy use, stimulate economy, cut bills & reduce running costs of buildings, transport & industry thereby creating a happier, healthier, more prosperous place, & tackling climate change. pcancities.org.uk
Biodiversity[edit | edit source]
East Malling, Ditton and Barming, blog of wildlife sightings
Communities online[edit | edit source]
eastmalling.net, independent project providing information and news for residents and visitors of East Malling
East Malling - supporting community projects in East Malling
Community safety[edit | edit source]
Cycling activism[edit | edit source]
Tonbridge Bicycle Users Group, public group on facebook, added 16:24, 25 September 2020 (UTC)
West Malling on CycleStreets, plan a cycle journey
Environment quality[edit | edit source]
Food activism[edit | edit source]
Communigrow - Kent Community Supported Agriculture, aims include the current transformation to create a viable market garden run by the local community of Larkfield, Ditton and the Mallings.
- West Malling Farmers Market, usually on the 4th Sunday of each month, but may be different in December
West Malling group on LetsGrow, Landshare
Malling Harvest Festival Supper, 2010 
Health and wellbeing[edit | edit source]
- West Malling Wellbeing Index, communitywellbeing.coop.co.uk
Localism[edit | edit source]
Open spaces[edit | edit source]
Macey's Meadow, renovated community orchard - East Malling Residents' Action Group
Social inclusion[edit | edit source]
Pilsdon at Malling, community, based in West Malling. Christian-based Community with its ideals and ethos taken from the Pilsdon Community in Dorset. The first Pilsdon Community was founded in 1958 as a refuge for those in crisis.
Spadework, independent training organisation, based in Offham, which undertakes tuition in a number of subject areas for adults with Learning Disabilities.
Sustainable transport activism[edit | edit source]
traveline south and east, plan a journey
Live departures and arrivals - West Malling, National Rail Enquiries
Resources[edit | edit source]
Citizens data initiative[edit | edit source]
Thriving Places Index, Tonbridge and Malling, 2020 summary scores, thrivingplacesindex.org added 17:53, 19 March 2020 (UTC)
Automatic search suggestions for TheyWorkForYou, FixMyStreet, and WriteToThem, when you enter your postcode on www.mysociety.org. eg mysociety.org
Census data 2011, use drill down menus for ward and Census Output Areas
West Malling Poverty and Index of Multiple Deprivation data from the Church Urban Fund
Maps[edit | edit source]
Poverty Map from the Church Urban Fund. (Enter location eg 'West Malling, Egland', then zoom out to see whole and neighbouring parishes)
Video[edit | edit source]
More Video: Macey's Meadow Apple Fest 2015 on youtube
News and comment[edit | edit source]
Malling parkrun Event #200 includes "an amazing number of donated food bank items for the Trussell Trust". Read the "moving item" in Malling park run Event #199 
14% of Tonbridge and Malling is 'Built on', compared to 6% nationally, Nov 9 
Following West Malling Parish Council's decision to produce a Neighbourhood Plan, and the formal approval process, the Parish Council is asking residents 4 questions to help start the process. You can see a summary of answers from West Malling residents who attended the event on 3rd July, but also still give your answers via the PC website. See our talk page for a sample response, October.
Events[edit | edit source]
4th Sunday of each month (usually, but December sometimes different) - West Malling Farmers Market
Campaigns[edit | edit source]
- Protect West Malling, public group on facebook
- Ryarsh Protection Group, an action group working alongside Ryarsh Parish Council. "Our priority currently (2018) is to object to the proposed ‘West Malling Sandpit’ which is a large sand quarry located in Ryarsh."
Local concerns[edit | edit source]
Overdevelopment[edit | edit source]
In common with many areas across the the South East, the constant threat of overdevelopment or inappropriate development, for example locking us into yet more car dependency, pollution and carbon emissions, loss of green space, lack of genuinely affordable housing and imbalances against community interests in the current top down planning system is a concern for many people locally.
14% of Tonbridge and Malling is 'Built on', compared to 6% nationally, Nov 9, 2017.  Because of recent and planned new housing the disparity is likely to be growing, with even more of a disparity for some parts of the Borough. It wold be interesting to know what the figure is for Malling and how this has increased over recent years.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Kent, for initiatives in neighbouring areas, such as Maidstone and Tonbridge
- Towards a more democratic and climate friendly way of meeting housing need across England
[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia: West Malling
- East Malling Matters on Facebook
- Malling Action Partnership, community-based partnership leading to a community-developed vision for the future of West Malling as a market town.
- Tonbridge and Malling Friends of the Earth on facebook
- West Malling Neighbourhood Plan, 4 questions, westmallingpc.org
- Big Lottery Fund grants in Tonbridge and Malling, since 2010, UK Civil Society Almanac | Constituencies, via @ncvo
- West Malling Group Practice, includes maps of locations but unable to find related public transport information on the site Philralph (talk) 08:14, 8 January 2019 (PST)
References[edit | edit source]
- MAP Action plan 2009-2011, Introduction (link no longer available)
- link no longer available
- Communigrow - Kent Community Supported Agriculture