Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Difference between revisions of "Extinction Rebellion"
|Line 128:||Line 128:|
Revision as of 04:47, 12 October 2019
Extinction Rebellion (abbreviated as XR) is a socio-political movement with the stated aim of using civil disobedience and nonviolent resistance to protest against climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of social and ecological collapse.
Extinction Rebellion was established in the United Kingdom in May 2018 with about one hundred academics signing a call to action in support in October 2018, and launched at the end of October by Roger Hallam, Gail Bradbrook, Simon Bramwell, and other activists from the campaign group Rising Up!.
Citing inspiration from grassroots movements such as Occupy, Gandhi's Satyagraha, the suffragettes, Gene Sharp, Martin Luther King and others in the civil rights movement, Extinction Rebellion wants to rally support worldwide around a common sense of urgency to tackle climate breakdown.
The movement uses a circled hourglass, known as the Extinction Symbol, to serve as a warning that time is rapidly running out for many species. Special Note: This is an abbreviated version of the introductory text from Wikipedia's article. You are encouraged to read the full version. W See also note below.
- 1 About this page
- 2 Manifesto
- 3 How to get involved
- 4 Local groups
- 5 Community aspects of Extinction Rebellion
- 6 XR and future democracy
- 7 Resources
- 8 See also
- 9 Interwiki links
- 10 Social media
- 11 External links
About this page
Although this article shares some content from the Wikipedia article of the same name, it is not meant to be encyclopedic in the same way. There is no need to duplicate what Wikipedia does. However you are encouraged to view the Wikipedia article in full, including for example sections such as Support and Criticism. As well as, of course Extinction Rebellion's own website.
Rather this article, and any subsequent offshoots, within Community action for sustainability (CASwiki), are an opportunity to explore and hopefully contribute to, or at the very least complement community aspects of the movement. (more to follow)
Extinction Rebellion's website states the following aims:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency W, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net-zero by 2025.
- Government must create, and be led by, the decisions of a Citizens' assembly on climate and ecological justice.
XR states the following on its website and explains the following in its declaration:
- "We have a shared vision of change—creating a world that is fit for generations to come.
- We set our mission on what is necessary—mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change by using ideas such as "momentum-driven organising" to achieve this.
- We need a regenerative culture—creating a culture that is healthy, resilient, and adaptable.
- We openly challenge ourselves and this toxic system, leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- We value reflecting and learning, following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action (learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences).
- We welcome everyone and every part of everyone—working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- We actively mitigate for power—breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation.
- We avoid blaming and shaming—we live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- We are a non-violent network using non-violent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- We are based on autonomy and decentralisation—we collectively create the structures we need to challenge power. Anyone who follows these core principles and values can take action in the name of RisingUp!"
How to get involved
- Join Us: Extinction Rebellion
- Local groups (UK and worldwide): Extinction Rebellion
Community aspects of Extinction Rebellion
- Communities page on Extinction Rebellion, includes Resources for local groups.
- historical archiving , but mentions:
- "Communicate a vision of a different world and to propose a draft manifesto of the changes needed, (drafts that can be improved)."
- "Making room for everyone to join in", etc.
- Rebel Starter Pack , contains links to eg spreadsheets, etc. , including:
- Visual Representation of the Communities Circle (?)/ Working Group, GlassFrog
- Mandates (?) spreadsheet: Community listed under Movement circle Mandate, Google Sheets
XR and future democracy
See separate article: XR and future democracy
Future Democracy Tools
see: Future Democracy Hub
How to start a student group for Extinction Rebellion, Google Docs
More video: Extinction Rebellion on youtube
- Climate action, Climate news
- Community climate action plan
- Participatory carbon budgeting
- Open CO2
- Biodiversity, Biodiversity news
- Community involvement, Community involvement news
- Community involvement UK, Community involvement UK news
- Citizens' assembly
- Networks, Networks, news and comment
- Occupy Sustainability