To move (rename) a page:
- Go to the page
- Click the + icon near the top right
- Click Move
Note! Moving a page may break links to it from other pages. For this reason, you should generally check the box to create a redirect when moving a page, unless the page is very new and not linked from other pages.
Reasons to move a page[edit | edit source]
- The current title contains spelling errors
- The title doesn't follow our page naming conventions
- The title is ambiguous or confusing
- The topic has been shortened, extended, or changed from the original draft, and the title is no longer appropriate
- The page belongs in a different namespace
- Certain section of the page fits better as a section of a more complete page
- A page needs to be merged with another, either because both are too similar or complement each other
Reasons why you may not be able to move a page[edit | edit source]
- You're not logged in
- The page is protected
- There's already a page with the same title you want
How to move a section[edit | edit source]
To move only part of a page, simply cut and paste the text into a new page and summarize the reason and what content you are moving on the edit summary of the pages you're editing.
How to move a category page[edit | edit source]
Categories cannot be easily moved like other pages because every page in the category needs to be recategorized. If you want to move a category, please leave a message at the Village pump.