We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia
This is a meta-list of the articles and projects related to the COVID-19 pandemic. For a complete list of articles, see Category:Flu pandemic.
- 1 How can you help?
- 2 Information resources
- 3 Technology research and development
- 4 Non-medical technology
- 5 References
How can you help?
Appropedia is looking to gather information on solutions that are appropriate and effective. We are looking for solutions that, despite any type of technology used, are low-cost, reproducible and resource-accessible to the vast majority of the world population. Developing great documentation is hard, but necessary for creating real impact.
If you want to support us, you can do any of the following:
- Edit and expand an existing literature review by adding sources. See MOST literature reviews for reference.
- Creating new literature reviews for open source projects.
- We need a process for peer-reviewing DIY projects for PPE.
- At least one third of the global population is currently under one or more forms of restriction in relation to COVID-19W. Help us devise a list of appropriate technology resources for people in isolation to solve basic survival problems with the use of appropriate technology.
- Help us search on Appropedia, for solutions to ensure a decent quality of life for the world population after the pandemic subdues.
Previous thoughts on pandemics
- Influenza pandemic, written almost 10 years ago, focuses on scenarios surrounding a (then—potential) pandemic.
- PandemicOSAT is an essay (based on Ebola), composed by User:LucasG, with a focus on the design of appropriate technology for use during a pandemic. For a more recent essay of his, see My Ideal Panflu.
- Collaborative COVID-19 initiatives is a list maintained by members of the worldwide fab lab network.
- Estrategias de FABLAT ante pandemia COVID-19 is a list of resources developed by the Latin American Fab Lab Network.
Technology research and development
Literature reviews and evaluation criteria
- A review of open source ventilators for COVID-19 and future pandemics is a relevant Pearce publication.
- Face mask reviews and DIY masks, are both pages dedicated to literary reviews about the fabrication, and use of, face masks.
PPE and medical equipment
- MTU 3-D printing PPE, provides a list of some of the medical equipment being produced at Michigan Tech, through the use of 3D–printers.
- Open source ventilator, is documenting the process of open source ventilator development at MTU.
- Tools for Fabric Mask Makers, is documenting tools that can be used for sewing fabric face masks, including creating printable templates for DIY tools.
- Handwashing, is an article (stub), for the technologies and other needs, for proper and effective hand hygiene.
- Tecnologia apropiada para lavado de manos (in Spanish), is a project by students of ESEN in El Salvador, dedicated to the designing of low-cost, hand–washing stations.
- DIY hand sanitizer has a simple recipe for hand sanitizer. Alternatively, Ethanol-based hand sanitizer provides a potato-based recipe, for use by citizens in areas where access to, or availability of, a thickening agent cannot be obtained.
- A Spanish–language resource, in regards to preventive OSAT, is available at Recursos sobre prevencion del COVID-19.
After the crisis
- We are in the process of developing a list of OSAT resources, that may assist in alleviating any negative after-effects on survival and livelihood, once the most-devastating wave of the pandemic, has subsided. To review and contribute to this resource, See: Appropriate technology resources for COVID-19 crisis.