Appropriate technology resources for COVID-19 crisis
Description[edit | edit source]
The purpose of this article is to compile existing Appropedia pages, that can aid in COVID–19—related needs. This article is not focused on medical supplies.
Food security[edit | edit source]
As of March 2020, the mobility of a great percentage of the world population has been restricted. If sustained, we may face a crisis caused by the lack of sustained food distribution.
Food storage[edit | edit source]
- Food preservation and storage
- Provides overview of storage location selection and links to preservation techniques such as drying, canning, and curing.
- Food dehydration
- Food and Water in an Emergency
- Manual from FEMA and Red Cross
Local food production[edit | edit source]
- Organic and sustainable farming
- Description of sustainable water and soil management, and overview of organic farming techniques.
- Feeding Everyone No Matter What Book Page
- Book text not provided, but some alternate forms of caloric intake are listed.
- Farmer Managed Natural Regeneration manual
- Restoration of degraded lands
- Integrated cooking
- solar cooker, retained heat cooker, improved cookstove
Micro-Agriculture[edit | edit source]
- What is micro farming?
- Note the challenges of micro farming section: "Maintaining the health of the soil is essential for micro farming, especially given the size of the plots. Holdeman said that at the UT Microfarm, the student volunteers regularly plant nitrogen-fixing legumes like beans, rye and barley to bring nutrients back to the soil after a harvest."
- Compost improves soil health and diverts food waste: Composting
- Food not lawns
- Movement to convert lawns to gardens with native plants and food
- Abuelita's Garden Engr305 project 2020
- Four methods for vertical gardening
- Ron Finley - Gansta Gardener for the Urban Community
- Ron Finley TED talk
- "Ron Finley plants vegetable gardens in South Central LA -- in abandoned lots, traffic medians, along the curbs. Why? For fun, for defiance, for beauty and to offer some alternative to fast food in a community where 'the drive-thrus are killing more people than the drive-bys.'"
- How-to-Guide for Aspiring Urban Micro-Agricultural Entrepreneurs
- "Created by Sustainable Urban Development for residents of West Philadelphia..."
- "The guide contains information on building raised beds and maintaining healthy soils; zoning, code and permit requirements for community gardens; and business and market planning"
- Free download available
- Permaculture and bio-intensive micro-agriculture: the Bec Hellouin farm model
Water[edit | edit source]
- Water supply and purification for emergencies
- Helpful section on purification methods
Water filters[edit | edit source]
Rainwater harvesting[edit | edit source]
- Rainwater harvesting
- To Catch the Rain Free book on community rainwater harvesting by Lonny Grafman
- Student teams from the Category:Engr305 Appropriate Technology class at HSU developed the following projects:
Micro-hydro[edit | edit source]
- Practivistas Chiapas micro hydro feasibility study
- Describes micro hydro systems and provides a feasibility study that can be used as a basis for other locations
- Español: Practivistas Chiapas estudio sobre la factibilidad de microhídro
Hygiene[edit | edit source]
Shelter[edit | edit source]
- Organization providing emergency disaster relief