|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.|
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- M. Marikkannan, A. Dinesh, J. Mayandi, V. Vishnukanthan, J.M. Pearce. Properties of Al-Doped Zinc Oxide and In-Doped Zinc Oxide Bilayer Transparent Conducting Oxides for Solar Cell Applications Materials Express. 222, (2018) pp. 50-53. doi:10.1016/j.matlet.2018.03.097 open access preprint
Novel aluminum and indium doped zinc oxide (ZnO) bilayer transparent conducting oxide thin films was fabricated by simple sol-gel spin coating method and post-annealed at 500 °C for an hour under nitrogen ambient towards solar cell applications. The structural, electrical and optical properties of both the as-deposited and annealed bilayer thin films were characterized. X-ray diffraction studies show hexagonal wurtzite-type structure of ZnO with (002) orientation, which enhanced with annealing. In atomic force microscopy studies, minimum surface roughness was attained for Al-doped ZnO (AZO)/In-doped ZnO (IZO) bilayer TCO film compared to IZO/AZO bilayer film. The AZO/IZO film sheet resistance improved to 0.057 M ohm/square after post-annealing, while the single layer AZO film sheet resistance degraded upon annealing in nitrogen atmosphere. All the films had an average transmittance in the visible region over 96%.
Highlights[edit | edit source]
- Synthesis of novel TCO electrodes using simple sol-gel method.
- Bilayer transparent conducting oxide based electrodes were prepared.
- Electrical and optical properties were investigated towards solar cell applications.
Keywords[edit | edit source]
Al doped ZnO (AZO); In doped ZnO (IZO); Sol-gel spin coating; electrical and optical properties; bilayer films
See also[edit | edit source]
- Effect of ambient combinations of argon, oxygen, and hydrogen on the properties of DC magnetron sputtered indium tin oxide films
- Micromorphology analysis of sputtered indium tin oxide fabricated with variable ambient combinations
- Advances in plasmonic light trapping in thin-film solar photovoltaic devices
- Plasmonic Perfect Meta-Absobers for a-Si PV Devices
- Limitations of ultra-thin transparent conducting oxides for integration into plasmonic-enhanced thin-film solar photovoltaic devices
- Influence of Oxygen Concentration on the Performance of Ultra-Thin RF Magnetron Sputter Deposited Indium Tin Oxide Films as a Top Electrode for Photovoltaic Devices
- A new method of preparing highly conductive ultra-thin indium tin oxide for plasmonic-enhanced thin film solar photovoltaic devices