- Citizens are hungry for change, ffcc.co.uk (Sep 25, 2023) — New report shows the UK public overwhelmingly back state intervention to improve the food system
- Half of Britain’s fruit and veg growers ‘may go out of business within a year’, wickedleeks.riverford.co.uk (Sep 19, 2023)
- New report reveals nearly a quarter of UK shopping basket at high risk from climate change, mediacentre.christianaid.org.uk (Sep 13, 2023)
This article is an introductory article focusing on networks and events. A separate spin-off article covers Food activism UK resources
Events[edit | edit source]
- Apr 21 - 24, 2023 (Fri - Mon) Good to Grow Day
- May 1 - 7, 2023 (Mon - Sun) National Gardening Week
- May 15 - 21, 2023 (Mon - Sun) National Vegetarian Week
- Jun 11, 2023 (Sun) Open Farm Sunday
- Aug 7 - 13, 2023 (Mon - Sun) National Allotments Week, nsalg.org.uk
Networks[edit | edit source]
- Good to Grow, network "all about getting people involved in their local community garden." A project of Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming. Map: goodtogrowuk.org, added 20:56, 14 March 2022 (UTC)
- Independent Food Aid Network UK, added 16:24, 24 May 2021 (UTC)
The Landworkers' Alliance are a UK-based union of farmers, growers, foresters and land-based workers founded in 2015 who work together to campaign for better food and land-use systems.
They also work internationally on topics such as food sovereignty through membership of Via Campesina, the International Peasant’s Movement, which represents over 200 million peasants, farmers and land-based workers through 182 member organisations.
They launched a manifesto for tacking rural inequality at the Oxford Real Farming Conference in 2016, and are twinned to US based Farm Hack to bring their model of supporting new farmers to the UK.
- Landworkers' Alliance
- The National food service, added 20:07, 19 December 2020 (UTC)
- Incredible Edible network, global network originating in, and with many members in the UK - 10 Steps Toward an Incredible Edible Town
- Open Food Network, "An open marketplace that makes it easy to find, buy, sell and move sustainable local food."
- Sustainable Food Cities
National Conversation about Food[edit | edit source]
- nationalfoodconversation.uk, asking citizens directly: "what do we really want from food?", added 12:17, 20 June 2023 (UTC)
Campaigns[edit | edit source]
- Save British family farms, getfairaboutfarming.co.uk, added 16:48, 25 September 2023 (UTC)
- End Child Food Poverty
- GM Freeze
- People's Food Policy, People's Food Policy on foodsovereigntynow.org.uk
- Refill - "...national, practical tap water campaign that aims to make refilling your bottle as easy, convenient and cheap as possible by introducing refill points on every street."
See also[edit | edit source]
- Food London
- Food UK news
- Food activism
- Food news
- A People's Food Policy, a series of (UK) articles
- 10 Steps Toward an Incredible Edible Town
- Young and beginning farmers
- Sustainable livelihood UK#Video
- Towards sustainable economies UK
- Commons UK
local information can be found, or shared, via our many UK location pages
[edit | edit source]
- Refugee Community Kitchen, serves hot, nourishing meals to displaced people in the UK and France, added 16:22, 13 April 2021 (UTC)
- Veg School Meals UK, Towards a self-sufficient school for every child, added 10:28, 10 April 2021 (UTC)
- Food bank W, Food waste in the United Kingdom W
- Food Citizenship, added 19:11, 17 May 2020 (UTC)
- Cooperation Town, new (Jan 2020) project set to establish a series of food co-ops on housing estates and community centres across Britain.
- Abundance Network, a group of volunteers passing on information and support between some of the fruit harvesting groups across the UK
- The Climate-Friendly Gardener
- FareShare, fighting hunger, tackling food waste.
- FareShare is an award-winning charity aimed at relieving food poverty and reducing food waste in the UK. It does this by rescuing good quality surplus food that would otherwise have gone to waste and sending it to over 700 charity and community projects across the United Kingdom.
- FareShare only redistributes food inside its best before and use by date; in 2012 they rescued 3,600 tonnes of food which would have otherwise gone to landfill. FareShare works with all sectors of the supply chain; producers, manufacturers and retailers. All of the major UK food retailers have encouraged their suppliers to work with FareShare to minimise food waste. FareShare has also run two successful food drives with both Sainsbury's and Tesco.
- FareShare contributed towards more than 8.6 million meals in 2012, which equates to feeding 36,500 people a day. This food is delivered to a broad range of grass root organizations all across the UK including homeless shelters, day centres, women's refuge centres and children's breakfast clubs. W
- The Food Assembly's Blog, The Food Assembly on Social Tech Guide
- Food For All, "...registered charity based in London (also in other parts of the UK), which distributes over 1,000, spiritually enriched nutritionally balanced vegetarian meals, to different groups of people, including the homeless, disadvantaged, financially challenged and the 'needy' on a daily basis, for free!"
- Gleaning Network UK
- Helping Britain Blossom, information about community orchards
- Pesticide Action Network UK
- Reclaim the Fields
- Soil Association, charity based in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1946, it has over 27,000 members today. Its activities include campaign work on issues including opposition to intensive farming, support for local purchasing and public education on nutrition; as well the certification of organic food. It developed the world's first organic certification system in 1967 – standards which have since widened to encompass agriculture, aquaculture, ethical trade, food processing, forestry, health & beauty, horticulture and textiles. Today it certifies over 80% of organic produce in the UK. W
- Sustain, the alliance for better food and farming
- The Orchard Project, added 16:42, 24 May 2021 (UTC)
- Community supported agriculture
- Social Farms and Gardens, UK wide charity supporting communities to farm, garden and grow together.
- National Allotment Society
- Food Foundation, charity working to influence food policy and business practice, shaping a sustainable food system which makes healthy diets affordable and accessible for all. "We work in partnership with researchers, campaigners, community bodies, industry, investors, government, and citizens to galvanize the UK's diverse agents of change, using surprising and inventive ideas to drive fundamental shifts in our food system. These efforts are based on the continual re-evaluation of opportunities for action, building and synthesizing strong evidence, convening powerful coalitions, harnessing citizens' voices, and delivering impactful communications."
- Seed Co-operative, the UK's community owned seed company
- foodfoundation.org.uk Jan 14, 2021