If you wish to help maintain and improve Appropedia, the following links will help you. For example, you can:
- Make sure all articles are in suitable categories, using the links at Help maintaining the category structure, below.
- Join the Recent changes patrol.
- Check Category:Pages needing attention.
- View the templates in Category:Maintenance templates, and click "What links here."
- Admins: please check requests for an admin to check an original document
- Check that there are no double redirects.
- Very occasionally check Category redirects and delete any that have been in place for a few months. (Say 6 months? No great harm in leaving them for a while before deleting.)
Tracking changes[edit source]
There are a number of ways to keep track of changes.
- Click "Recent changes" in the left column of every page, to see the latest edits on all Appropedia pages. (If you're really keen, you can join the Recent changes patrol.)
- Add pages to your watchlist - click "Watch" at the top of the page.
- You can set your preferences so you're notified by email when pages on your watchlist are edited:
- Register your email address: When you're logged in, go to preferences (top right) enter your email address on the first page (user profile), and click "save". Click to verify it; after you click the link in your email, your email will be registered.
- In preferences, on the first page, select the box that says E-mail me on page changes; save your preferences.
- You may wish to keep your watchlist brief, and keep a separate list of pages that you only check occasionally. You can do this by creating links to these pages (writing the names inside double square brackets) on your user page, or on a separate subpage.
- Bookmark the pages in your browser.
- Click the history page on any page to see what changes have been made.
Help maintaining the category structure[edit source]
Here are some links that make it easy to ensure that the category structure is complete:
- Special:Uncategorizedpages - should be empty.
- Special:Uncategorizedcategories - should be empty, other than Category:Fundamental.
- Special:Unusedcategories - add suitable articles to categories, or (if you're an admin) consider deleting the categories.
- Special:Categories - should contain no redlinks. (When you create a category page, remember to put it in at least one other category, and add other info or templates as appropriate. See Appropedia:Category templates.)
- Special:Wantedpages should contain no categories. Sometimes categories show up here because a category has been moved and some redirects are not fixed yet.
- Category:Category redirects should have few or no pages. Pages should only be here temporarily, before being deleted by an admin.
Specific tasks[edit source]
Linking from other wikis[edit source]
When there are pages here which are worth linking from Wikipedia, we should add the link to the "External links" section of that article (or wherever appropriate). Of course we should only do this when it does add value to the relevant Wikipedia article, and not just to promote Appropedia.
As a general rule, link the editable pages - i.e. the normal pages, without (original) in the title, rather than original documents.
- The location of these links will vary if you have selected a different skin in preferences