This article is an offshoot from Towards a more democratic and climate friendly way of meeting housing need across England and is for resources in that context.
Networks[edit | edit source]
- Community planning alliance, the grass roots group, "aim to bring together grassroots campaigns to do two things:- to lobby to improve the planning system and to support each other so that more of us can win our campaigns", added 16:22, 5 November 2021 (UTC)
- Data for Democracy, consider joining a network such as this to work on transparency of data and fair and reasonable estimates or projections of local housing need across the UK, particularly if concerned about Overdevelopment across the South, imbalance between North/South. If anyone interested... I'd love to hear from you Philralph (talk) 07:12, 5 January 2019 (PST)
- Student Co-op Homes, national member led co-operative controlled by student housing co-ops and investor supporter members, established to promote, enable and scale-up student co-operative housing in the UK. added 15:54, 17 December 2021 (UTC)
see also: Campaigns
How to's[edit | edit source]
- We Can Make, new website coming soon, "citizen-led housing"
- WikiHouse, modular, zero-carbon building system that aims to make it simple for anyone to design, manufacture and assemble beautiful, high-performance homes and buildings, even if they do not have traditional construction skills. Think Lego, but for real buildings.
- Checklist for new housing developments from transportfornewhomes.org.uk, Transport for New Homes, supporting new housing that promotes walking, cycling and public transport and avoids dependence on cars. added 13:19, 8 February 2022 (UTC)
- Community Led Homes: How to do it, communityledhomes.org.uk, added 16:27, 18 May 2021 (UTC)
Visions[edit | edit source]
- Joint vision for planning, Jan 2021 cpre.org.uk, developed and supported by 18 organizations
- ReThink 2025 - Robert Wood, robertwoodstudio.com, includes a section on post-pandemic housing and new construction
Citizens data initiative[edit | edit source]
- Planning Data, Find planning and housing data that is easy to understand, use and trust. added 12:03, 27 September 2022 (UTC)
- About 15% of the UK's total carbon emissions – 68 million tonnes – comes directly from homes, mostly from boilers burning gas for hot water and space heating. That's more than the entire agricultural sector at 10%.
- It's estimated that around 26 million of the UK's existing 29 million homes will still be around by 205O. These will all have to be retrofitted to net zero standard.
- The construction industry produces a huge amount of waste - indeed, construction, demolition and excavation accounted for an astonishing 62% of the UK's total waste in 2018, according to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Household projections for England, ons.gov.uk
- Cement making is responsible for about 7% of annual CO₂ emissions.
Maps[edit | edit source]
- National map of planning data, Planning Data, added 12:05, 27 September 2022 (UTC)
- Community planning alliance, grass roots map: google.com/maps
Policies[edit | edit source]
- Homes for all, letschangetherules.org
Inspiring quotes[edit | edit source]
- "...sprawling extractive land uses are a lethal threat to the living world. ...unless we count the hectares and decide together how best they should be used, we will lose the struggle to defend the habitable planet." , George Monbiot, Apr 21, 2023
- "There is an obvious link between the construction of homes, and climate change. How do the actions of these two movements relate to one another, and what cohesiveness, if any, exists between them to achieve both their aims simultaneously?", Ola Ayorinde, Feb 2, 2021
- "Some local authority planning officers "fell about laughing" when asked about the quality of community engagement by many developers", Tony Burton
- "We must not build housing, we must build communities." Mike Burton, politician
Video for community action[edit | edit source]
Other resources[edit | edit source]
- RUSS School of Community-led Housing, theruss.org, added 12:52, 23 November 2022 (UTC)
- Cities engaging in the right to housing, UIA and URBACT initiaitve, right2housing.eu, added 15:44, 22 June 2021 (UTC)
- Self Build Portal
See also[edit | edit source]
- Towards a more democratic and climate friendly way of meeting housing need across England
- Housing UK news
- Land activism UK
local information can be found, or shared, via our many UK location pages
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ theconversation.com, Sep 14, 2021
- ↑ theconversation.com, Sep 14, 2021
- ↑ bbc.co.uk/news, Sep 16, 2021
- ↑ theconversation.com, Mar 22, 2022
- ↑ Costa Rica restored its ravaged land to health. The rich UK has no excuse for such complete failure, George Monbiot theguardian.com
- ↑ sharedassets.org.uk
- ↑ @Tony4Place, twitter.com, Jul 22, 2020