Biodiversity UK news
CASwiki news articles have a focus on news of community action for sustainability. This article is an offshoot from Biodiversity UK and is for news and comment in that context.
- Nature is a blind spot in economics that we ignore at our peril, says Dasgupta Review, Feb 2 
- The Review argues that nature is our most precious asset and that significant declines in biodiversity are undermining the productivity, resilience and adaptability of nature. This in turn has put our economies, livelihoods and well-being at risk.
- The Review makes clear that urgent and transformative action taken now would be significantly less costly than delay and will require change on three broad fronts:
- Humanity must ensure its demands on nature do not exceed its sustainable supply and must increase the global supply of natural assets relative to their current level. For example, expanding and improving management of Protected Areas; increasing investment in Nature-based Solutions; and deploying policies that discourage damaging forms of consumption and production.
- We should adopt different metrics for economic success and move towards an inclusive measure of wealth that accounts for the benefits from investing in natural assets and helps to make clear the trade-offs between investments in different assets. Introducing natural capital into national accounting systems is a critical step.
- We must transform our institutions and systems – particularly finance and education – to enable these changes and sustain them for future generations. For example, by increasing public and private financial flows that enhance our natural assets and decrease those that degrade them; and by empowering citizens to make informed choices and demand change, including by firmly establishing the natural world in education policy.
2021[edit | edit source]
‘Reservoirs of life’: how hedgerows can help the UK reach net zero in 2050, Feb 2 
2020[edit | edit source]
Calls for ‘wild belt’ land to be part of England's planning strategy.  Sep 17
Britain needs a National Nature Service to power a green recovery.  Jul 7
2019[edit | edit source]
Sir David Attenborough calls for new planning laws to protect nature.  Oct 7
More than a quarter of UK mammals face extinction.  Oct 3
2018[edit | edit source]
Wildlife Trusts calls for new housing 'to restore nature', Jan 11 
2017[edit | edit source]
2016[edit | edit source]
The Nature Reserve Built Through Facebook, Jul/Aug 
2015[edit | edit source]
How conservation is saving Britain's red squirrels, September 25 
See also[edit | edit source]
local information can be found, or shared, via our many UK location pages