Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Thanks for suggesting the Interwiki collaboration month - I left a comment there.
Are you in/near London? One of Appropedia's directors is there (Andrew Lamb) and of course we have some other contacts. We've casually discussed some kind of event in London - unfortunately I'm not likely to be there for that one, but I'd love to see it happen. --Chriswaterguy 09:56, 4 November 2008 (UTC)
- 1 Would love to work with you
- 2 Hi Philralph
- 3 Welcome!
- 4 Great stuff
- 5 SCA template; blog post
- 6 'Facts about' links on location pages
- 7 Green vision link
- 8 Hi and Open CO2 project
- 9 Mini libraries
- 10 Congrats
- 11 African vernacular architecture
- 12 New Zealand ecovillage
- 13 CASwiki invitation
- 14 Front page news?
- 15 NZ News item
- 16 Young and beginning farmers
- 17 Resource Index for Bioregions
- 18 Segapedia
Would love to work with you
Re putting Sustainable Community Action pages here. In short: absolutely!
I think everything you're doing would be very welcome here. The only problem I could imagine is if you were covering political matters in a biased way, but as far as I can see you're not covering political activism as such (i.e. not focusing on particular parties).
We're also in the process of merging with Ekopedia, so things should be getting bigger and more active in the new year!
Is there anything that needs clarifying, or where you need help? Be sure to let me know.
PS looks like you didn't get the official welcome. Here it is...
Thanks for the invite. Of course I'm on board. I don't know my way around yet, but I'm here. Tried to put the box on my user page, to no avail. Flowergirl
- Great! To get the box to show, you just need to replace the space between 'User sca' & 'Flowergirl' with a '|' Philralph (talk) 23:56, 26 June 2015 (PDT)
Aussome. Will do. Can we talk? I'm flowergirl.donna "at" gmail.com I can see you're a busy man. My feelings won't be hurt if it takes you a while to get around to it.
- OK, but best keep it to these wiki talk pages. (I've taken the liberty of altering your address above. Straightforward adresses run the risk of being automatically 'harvested' resulting in spam coming your way) Philralph (talk) 23:50, 28 June 2015 (PDT)
Check your preferences. It's a good idea to verify your email address and turn on email notification - then you'll be notified when you get a message on your talk page, or when any page on your watchlist, is modified. You may want to upload a photo or information about yourself to your userpage (which is at User:Philralph).
If you have a particular interest or project in mind, go ahead and start it! If you have questions or suggestions, the best place to leave them is at our community discussion page, which we call the Village pump - you should get a fast response. Or, feel free to leave me a note on my talk page if you have further questions, need help finding your way around, have a cool idea for a project, or just want to chat. If you just want to know how things work here, check out Appropedia:Policies and Appropedia:FAQ. We're a relaxed and friendly bunch though, and you can also just pick things up as you go.
Glad to have you here!
Really great to see these place and event pages - these are important resources, and very complementary. I'll work on getting attention for these efforts - let us know if you need anything. --Chriswaterguy (talk) 04:29, 20 December 2013 (PST)
SCA template; blog post
One of my goals is to communicate much more about what Appropedia is doing, starting with our blog - I just wrote a post about your work with SCA. http://blogs.appropedia.org/2014/01/10/sustainable-community-action/
- Thanks Chris, replied at User_talk:Chriswaterguy#Could_Sustainable_Community_Action_contribute_to_Appropedia.3F
Re "I noticed the 'Facts about...' box which doesn't seem to appear in the edit box, and seems to disappear if the redirect is replaced. "
Don't worry about the boxes. I don't understand their purpose, but they're something to do with Semantic Mediawiki (which we are using). I hope to understand that better in coming months as we work on this.
"Unless I hear otherwise I'll name the affected pages as eg 'Costa Rica, sustainable community action'" - seems reasonable. One important thing is consistency, and I think you're being consistent. I wasn't sure about the comma, but if it's consistent, it's okay.
Hi and Open CO2 project
Hi Phil, I just came across your page via the Appropedia active users list - great to learn about these projects you're working on.
The "Open CO2" definitely piques my interest in more open data, and deliberately using visualisations of complex issues to aid in public debate/engagement. Perhaps there is some parallel to work I'm doing to better visualise how transport systems work, especially in terms of weaknesses of public transport networks and how to effectively improve them - see Transport Informatics, e.g. Travel time maps as one example. Feel free to contact me via links on my userpage. --PatSunter (talk) 23:50, 14 March 2014 (PDT)
- BTW: if any of your Sustainable Community Action pages you're porting here are transport-focused, please let me know. I'm working on improving the several pages in the transport section of Appropedia at the moment.
Hi Phil (nice to internet-meet you),
I just created the article mini library. It seems like it would fit in well with the SCA material. If you could take a moment to categorize it, I'd appreciate it. Great job on all the work you've done on green wikis over the years! --Ethan (talk) 09:24, 15 May 2015 (PDT)
- Thanks, Ethan. Just the resources section, plus maybe a few more 'meta' type pages to go. Maybe finished overall by Xmas. Philralph (talk) 23:50, 2 September 2015 (PDT)
- Hi Ethan, yes, that'd be good. Bit more renaming of categories to come, but not a prority at present, Cheers, Philralph (talk) 00:45, 28 September 2015 (PDT)
African vernacular architecture
I ran across an interesting website that hosts images of natural material buildings across Africa: http://www.africavernaculararchitecture.com/ I'd like to post links to the various country pages on CAS. What would be the best place to put them? Maybe as a subheading under "Resources"? --Ethan (talk) 18:44, 9 October 2015 (PDT)
- Yes, subheading under "Resources" sounds good, "Images" as a sub-heading? Philralph (talk) 01:19, 10 October 2015 (PDT)
New Zealand ecovillage
Hi Phil, I posted some articles about the failed ecovillage at Dylan Evans' talk page. It sounds like a really bad situation. We might want to alter some of the language used there, but I can't blame someone in Dylan's position for blowing off some steam (assuming he was someone who bought into the village). --Ethan (talk) 05:30, 29 October 2015 (PDT)
- Great, thanks, Ethan Philralph (talk) 09:39, 29 October 2015 (PDT)
Hi Phil, Thanks for the invitation, it sounds great and yes, I'd like to take part. Can I just confirm how this works, is this a wiki within a wiki? And I just add topics here and mark them to CASwiki through categories? Just needing some guidance on that. Thanks! Felicity (talk) 23:48, 12 November 2015 (PST)
- Thanks for the explanation Phil, that has really helped me to better understand the approach being taken. I think it's wonderful to include all the community action here too. I'll add my name. And wow, you've brought across an enormous amount of information, that will be a fantastic guidance. I'll let you know if I have questions, I am bound to. Kind regards, 12:35, 13 November 2015 (PST)
Front page news?
A few years ago someone pitched the idea of having a news feed on the main page. At that time it didn't really make sense, but now that you've been updating CAS news, I think it's an idea worth pursuing. I can see a couple of benefits here: 1) shows that Appropedia has an active community of editors, 2) balances the more static material that typifies the main page, 4) potentially invites more user participation, 4) can drive more traffic to CASwiki. I've made an example of what it could look like. Is this something you'd be interested in? You'd probably be the one updating it the most. --Ethan (talk) 03:41, 23 November 2015 (PST)
NZ News item
Hi Phil, Could you please check that I've added the news item properly here: http://www.appropedia.org/Template:New_Zealandnews#News_and_comment. Cheers, Felicity
- Cool, thanks. :)
Young and beginning farmers
Resource Index for Bioregions
If you have access to a copy of the Permaculture Designers' Manual, you may want to read pgs. 511-513. Mollison & co. drew up an outline for a regional directory for all kinds of resources. It's a similar concept to CAS ("the system is best suited to computer retrieval" -- indeed!). --Ethan (talk) 03:36, 2 April 2016 (PDT)