- Appeal for water customers to be mindful when turning on the tap, southeastwater.co.uk (Jul 11, 2022) — South East Water is asking people to be mindful of the amount of water they are using as hot temperatures push up demand beyond levels expected for the time of year. Water latest, southeastwater.co.uk
- Building Community Action Through Climate Hubs, Transition Together (Feb 27, 2022) — guide to community-led climate hubs from Zero Carbon Guildford
Surrey () is a county in South East England which borders Kent to the east, East Sussex to the southeast, West Sussex to the south, Hampshire to the west, Berkshire to the northwest, and Greater London to the northeast. With about 1.2 million people, Surrey is the 12th-most populous English county, the third-most populous home county, after Kent and Essex, and the third-most populous in the Southeast, after Hampshire and Kent.
Surrey is a relatively affluent county. It has the highest proportion of woodland of counties in England. It has four horse racing courses, and golf courses including the international competition venue at Wentworth.
Guildford is popularly regarded as the county town, although since 2020 Surrey County Council has been based at Woodhatch Place in Reigate, having previously been based at County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames from 1893 until 2020. Surrey is divided into eleven districts.
Climate action[edit | edit source]
- Talking Tree, Climate Emergency Centre and cafe on Staines High Street, projects include a Community fridge, added 10:45, 10 February 2022 (UTC)
- What Next?, Godalming based environmental charity, added 10:22, 5 July 2021 (UTC)
- Dorking Climate Emergency, Surrey based Climate action group, added 17:48, 23 June 2021 (UTC)
- Zero Carbon Guildford, helping the borough of Guildford reach carbon neutrality by 2030. Currently acquiring a space to act as a Climate Emergency Centre. added 15:30, 13 May 2021 (UTC)
Surrey declare climate emergency, July 2019
- Staines, Guildford and Farnham have Climate emergency centre groups
- Extinction Rebellion Reigate and Redhill
- Horse Hill Rebel Alliance on facebook
- What is Surrey County Council doing about climate change? surreycc.gov.uk
- Surrey Climate Commission, a collaboration of organisations, launched in June 2019
Biodiversity[edit | edit source]
Open spaces[edit | edit source]
Wikipedia: Parks and open spaces in Surrey (category)
Community energy[edit | edit source]
In the United Kingdom the first sustainable community energy system was pioneered by Woking Borough Council, starting in 1991. The system uses traditional and a phosphoric acid fuel cell co-generation plants, thermal storage, heat fired absorption cooling and photovoltaics (over 9% of the UK's small capacity), to supply both residential and non-residential customers, as well as the Council's own facilities. By end of 2005 there were over 60 generating islands in the Borough.
Despite the investment in the plant, the system delivers cheaper energy than can be supplied from the traditional 'brown energy' suppliers, helping to tackle fuel poverty. It is part of a plan to cut local carbon dioxide emissions by 80% by 2050. Their initiatives won the Council the Queen's Award for Enterprise in 2002. W
Cycling activism[edit | edit source]
Food activism[edit | edit source]
Grace + Flavour, community fruit & vegetable-growing co-operative for East & West Horsley.
Reduce, reuse, repair and recycle[edit | edit source]
Farnham Repair Cafe on Facebook
Sustainable transport activism[edit | edit source]
Walking: Wikipedia: Footpaths in Surrey (category)
The River Wey Navigation and Godalming Navigation together provide a 20-mile (32 km) continuous navigable route from the River Thames near Weybridge via Guildford to Godalming (commonly called the Wey Navigation). Both waterways are in Surrey and are owned by the National Trust. The River Wey Navigation connects to the Basingstoke Canal at West Byfleet, and the Godalming Navigation to the Wey and Arun Canal near Shalford. The Navigations consist of both man-made canal cuts and adapted (dredged and straightened) parts of the River Wey.
- River Wey and Wey Navigations Community Site
- The Wey & Arun Canal Trust, Wikipedia:Wey and Arun Canal
Resources[edit | edit source]
Networks and sustainability initiatives[edit | edit source]
Events[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
News and comment[edit | edit source]
Six key issues Surrey County Council must address, Sarah Finch, Extinction Rebellion Reigate & Redhill, Feb 3
In July 2019, Surrey County Council declared climate emergency. Two months later, they gave the go-ahead to plans for four more oil wells at Horse Hill, near Gatwick. To highlight the dangers of more oil drilling in a time of climate emergency, there will be a demonstration in October. Sep 16
20 years of oil production at Horse Hill approved, Sep 11
Campaigners celebrate as oil drilling at Surrey Hills site is blocked, Sep 4
How Farnham UK's Repair Café Takes a Bite Out of Waste, Feb 23
Surrey moves away from incineration, Jan 6
Woking: Solar canopy is 'gateway' to town, Sep 11
Woking shines in providing renewable energy, Jan 26
Campaigns[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]