|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.|
| Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
I. Zelenika and J.M. Pearce, “Innovation Through Collaboration: Scaling up Technological Solutions for Sustainable Development”, Environment, Development and Sustainability 16(6): 1299-1316 (2014). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10668-014-9528-7 open access
The open collaborative philosophy employed in the success of open source (OS) software can be applied to hardware design. Specifically, the development of OS appropriate technologies (OSAT) can improve sustainable development efforts worldwide. Yet, widespread OSAT use is far from ubiquitous. Given that lack of communication, access to information and poor collaboration are among the largest barriers to a more effective OSAT dissemination, this paper explores opportunities to overcome such obstacles using four techniques: (1) collaborative online platforms, (2) crowd-sourcing, (3) the concept of knowledge commons, and (4) enabled educational institutions through service learning and applied research. The results are analyzed, and conclusions are drawn that outline paths to higher multiuser collaboration for OSAT deployment.
Related work[edit | edit source]
- Pearce J., Albritton S., Grant G., Steed G., & Zelenika I. 2012."A New Model for Enabling Innovation in Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Development". Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 8(2), Published online Aug 20, 2012.
- Amy J. Buitenhuis, Ivana Zelenika and J. M. Pearce,. "Open Design-Based Strategies to Enhance Appropriate Technology Development" Proceedings of the 14th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference: Open, March 25-27th 2010, pp. 1-12.
- J. M Pearce, C. Morris Blair, K. J. Laciak, R. Andrews, A. Nosrat and I. Zelenika Zovko, (2010) “3-D Printing of Open Source Appropriate Technologies for Self-Directed Sustainable Development”, Journal of Sustainable Development open access
- Zelenika, I. and J.M. Pearce. 2011. Barriers to Appropriate Technology Growth in Sustainable Development. Journal of Sustainable Development. Vol 4, Number 6
- I. Zelenika and J. M. Pearce, “The Internet and other ICTs as Tools and Catalysts for Sustainable Development: Innovation for 21st Century”, Information Development Volume 29 Issue 3 August 2013 pp. 217 - 232. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0266666912465742
See also[edit | edit source]
- Open Source Appropriate Technology Literature Review
- Barriers to Appropriate Technology Growth in Sustainable Development
- Open source 3-D printing of OSAT
- The Case for Open Source Appropriate Technology
- A new model for enabling innovation in appropriate technology for sustainable development
- Open source 3D printers: an appropriate technology for building low cost optics labs for the developing communities