Climate news 2021
CASwiki news articles have a focus on news of community action for sustainability. This article is an offshoot from Climate action and is for news and comment in that global or international context.
February[edit | edit source]
- Future generations bill sounds 'namby pamby' but it's start, says Lord Bird, Feb 20  ...UK Climate news 2021
- Landscape of subnational and non-state climate action in the EU: what science tells us today, Feb 2  Subnational and non-state initiatives play an important role in climate action, and the number of net-zero emissions pledges is increasing rapidly among subnational and non-state actors. A new report looks into the current landscape and emission reduction potential of such initiatives in Europe.
- Alongside targets and action at national level, action by subnational and non-state actors is increasingly significant in the EU. Data shows that in 2016, around 40% of EU greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions were covered by short- to mid-term targets (2020-2030) of individual actors, including cities, regions and companies.
- The number of net-zero emissions pledges is also increasing rapidly among EU sub/non-state actors. As of October 2020, 36% of the EU’s total population live in cities or regions with a net-zero emissions target. In addition, over 130 international cooperative initiatives focus on reducing GHG emissions across all sectors in the EU with ambitious, aspirational targets.
- The high emission reduction potential shows that there is willingness to act on the ground and that more ambition is possible, but enhanced collaboration between sub/non-state actors and national or EU-level policymakers is needed.
January[edit | edit source]
Climate change: Biggest global poll supports 'global emergency', Jan 27 
New Global Coalition launched to address impacts of Climate Change, Jan 25  Developed by the UK in partnership with Egypt, Bangladesh, Malawi, the Netherlands, Saint Lucia and the United Nations, this new Coalition will work to turn international political commitments made through the United Nations Call for Action on Adaptation and Resilience into on-the-ground support for vulnerable communities.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Climate news 2020
- Climate news 2019
- Climate news 2018
- Climate news 2017
- Climate news 2009-16
- Climate action
- Climate action by location (category)
- Extinction Rebellion
- Legal resources