|Authors||Joshua M. Pearce|
|Designed in||United States|
|Hardware||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing and recycling.
RepRap 3-D printing has already been shown to be a versatile tool for fabricating novel photovoltaic racking designs, however, they can also be useful for installing conventional PV modules on conventional racking. In order to ensure appropriate spacing and well oriented array these open-source photovoltaic spacers can be printed. The design has been created to be parametric in OpenSCAD so this design can be used for any conventional array.
The concept and testing of the design was performed by SolarUP
The device is 100% 3-D printable and should be printed with a reasonable infill as this is a tool that will be used on a construction site. PLA is fine although other materials can be used.
Source Code[edit | edit source]
OpenSCAD[edit | edit source]
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been designed but not yet tested — use at your own risk.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been modeled.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been prototyped.|
|This Open Source Appropriate Technology has been verified by SolarUP|
All measurements in mm
- s=6.35; //1/4 inch spacing
- l=12.7; // 1/2 inch lip
- d=25.5; // 1 inch down
- x=127; //5 inch length
- cube([l+l+s,s,x], center=true); //lip
- translate([0,-d/2-s/2,0])cube([s,d,x], center=true); //spacer
- translate([0,d+5,0])cylinder(r=s, h=x, center=true);// handle
- translate([0,d/1.5,d*2.25-.25])cube([d,1.5*d,d/2], center=true);// handle connector
- translate([0,d/1.5,-d*2.25+.25])cube([d,1.5*d,d/2], center=true);// handle connector
See also[edit | edit source]
- Distributed manufacturing with 3-D printing: a case study of recreational vehicle solar photovoltaic mounting systems
- 3-D Printing Solar Photovoltaic Racking in Developing World
- Total U.S. cost evaluation of low-weight tension-based photovoltaic flat-roof mounted racking
- Design of Post-Consumer Modification of Standard Solar Modules to Form Large-Area Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Roof Slates
- Distributed manufacturing of after market flexible floating photovoltaic modules