Pearce publications in education for sustainability and green pedagogy
|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing and recycling.
Pearce Publications: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Chelsea Schelly & Joshua M. Pearce. Bridging the Social and Environmental Dimensions of Global Sustainability in STEM Education with Additive Manufacturing. Chapter 8. In Ali, N., & Khine, M.S. (Eds). Integrating 3D printing into teaching and learning: Practitioners’ perspectives: Leiden, the Netherlands: Brill Publishing. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1163/9789004415133
- Pearce, Joshua M. (2018). How to Perform a Literature Review with Free and Open Source Software. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 23(9). Available online: http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=23&n=8 open access
- Joshua M. Pearce. Defense for Covert Administrative Techniques for Neutralizing American Highly Qualified Personnel. American Intelligence Journal. Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 126-136, 2016 (in print 2017). open access preprint
- Denkenberger, D., Way, J., & Pearce, J. M. (2015). Educational Pathways to Remote Employment in Isolated Communities.Journal Of Human Security, 11(1), 34-44. doi:10.12924/johs2015.11010034 open access
- J.L. Irwin, D.E. Oppliger, J.M. Pearce, G. Anzalone, Evaluation of RepRap 3D Printer Workshops in K-12 STEM. 122nd ASEE 122nd ASEE Conf. Proceedings, paper ID#12036, 2015. open access
- Chelsea Schelly,Gerald Anzalone,Bas Wijnen,Joshua M. Pearce, (2015). Open-source 3-D printing Technologies for education: Bringing Additive Manufacturing to the Classroom.Journal of Visual Languages & Computing. 28(2015)226–237. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvlc.2015.01.004 open access
- J. Irwin, J.M. Pearce, D. Opplinger, and G. Anzalone. The RepRap 3-D Printer Revolution in STEM Education, 121st ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Indianapolis, IN. Paper ID #8696 (2014). open access
- Irwin, J. L., Pearce, J. M., Anzalone, G. C., (2014) Implementing Self-Replicating Rapid Prototypers (RepRaps) into a Mechanical/Manufacturing Program. The Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (ATMAE) 2013 Conference Proceedings. pp. 387-406. For open access full text jump to page 387 here: http://atmae.org/conven/ATMAE2013ConfProc.pdf
|Angela R. Bielefeldt and Joshua M. Pearce, “Service Learning in Engineering” Chapter 2 in Thomas H. Colledge (Ed), Convergence: Philosophies and Pedagogies for Developing the Next Generation of Humanitarian Engineers and Social Entrepreneurs, NCIIA, pp.24-52 (2012). Free E-book pdf.|
|Rob Harrap, Sylvie Daniel, Michael Power, Joshua Pearce, Nicholas Hedley, “Design and Implementation of Mobile Educational Games: Networks and Innovation”, in Nicholas Chrisman and Monica Wachowicz (Eds). The Added Value of Scientific Networking: Perspectives from the GEOIDE Network Members 1998-2012, GEOIDE Network, Quebec, Canada. Chapter 8, pp. 157-187 (2012). Free E-book pdf|
- K. Branker, J. M. Pearce, J. Corbett, and J. Webster, “Hybrid Virtual- and Field Work-based Service Learning with Green Information Technology and Systems Projects”, International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering 5(2), pp. 44-59 (2010). open access
- Eleanor ter Horst and Joshua M. Pearce, “Foreign Languages and Sustainability: Addressing the Connections, Communities and Comparisons Standards in Higher Education”, Foreign Language Annals 43(3), pp. 365–383 (2010). open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Eleanor ter Horst, “Overcoming Language Challenges of Open Source Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Development in Africa”, Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 11(3) pp.230-245, 2010. open access
- R. E. Carbone and J. M. Pearce,“Connecting Mathematics and the Applied Science of Energy Conservation”, The Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations, 11, pp. 233-243, 2009. open access
|Joshua M. Pearce and Eleanor ter Horst, “Service Learning for Sustainable Development in Foreign Languages”, in Filho, W.L. Editor, Sustainability at Universities: Opportunities, Challenges and Trends 2009, pp. 73-85, 2009.|
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Appropedia as a Tool for Service Learning in Sustainable Development", Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 3(1), pp.47-55, 2009. Open access
- Joshua M. Pearce and Eleanor ter Horst, “Appropedia and Sustainable Development for Improved Service Learning”, Presented at the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education Conference, 2008.
- Eleanor ter Horst and Joshua M. Pearce, “Foreign Languages and the Environment: A Collaborative Instructional Project”, The Language Educator, pp. 52-56, October, 2008. open access
|Joshua M. Pearce, “Service-Learning in Engineering and Science for Sustainable Development”. In Service Learning: Perspectives and Applications, Ed. Shalini S. Hyderabad, India: Icfai University Press, Chapter 13, 2008.|
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Teaching Science by Encouraging Innovation in Appropriate Technologies for Sustainable Development", Proceedings of the 11th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference, pp.159-167, 2007. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Solar Photovoltaic Open Lectures" - Annotated Presentations on Solar Photovoltaics, Appropedia.org, 2007.
- "Solar Photovoltaic Physics"
- "Engineering Photovoltaic Systems"
- "Engineering Photovoltaic Systems II"
- "Economics of Photovoltaic Systems"
- "Environmental and Social Impact of Solar Photovoltaics"
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Teaching Physics Using Appropriate Technology Projects", The Physics Teacher, 45, pp. 164-167, 2007. open access
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Social Justice in Physics", Hand in Hand, Vol. 2(3), pp. 2-3, 2007.
- Joshua M. Pearce and Chris Russill, "Commissioned Assignments in Environmental Policy" Academic Exchange Quarterly, 10(1), pp. 80-84, 2006.
- Joshua M. Pearce, "Service Learning in Engineering and Science for Sustainable Development", International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Vol. 1(1), 2006. open access
- Joshua Pearce and Chris Russill, "Interdisciplinary Environmental Education: Communicating and Applying Energy Efficiency for Sustainability", Applied Environmental Education and Communication, 4(1), 65-72, 2005. open access
- Joshua Pearce and Chris Russill, "Student Inquiries Into Neglected Research For A Sustainable Society: Communication and Application", Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, 23(4), 311-320, 2003. open access
- D. Grigorovici, C. Russill, J. Pearce and C. Constantin, "Persuasive Environments: Consequences of Virtual Environments on Effectiveness of Persuasive Messages", Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Workshop on Presence.
- Joshua Pearce, "The Use of Self-Directed Learning to Promote Active Citizenship in Science, Technology and Society Classes", Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, 21 (4), 312-321, 2001. open access