The use of cellular phones is now ubiquitous through most of the adult global population and is increasingly common among even young children in many countries (e.g. Finland, where the market for smart phones is nearly saturated). The basic operation of cellular phone networks demands widespread human exposure to radio-frequency radiation (RFR) with cellular phone base stations providing cellular coverage in most areas. As the data needs of the population increase from the major shift in the source of Internet use from personal computers to smart phones, this coverage is widely predicted to increase. Thus, both the density of base stations and their power output is expected to increase the global human RFR exposure. Although direct causation of negative human health effects from RFR from cellular phone base stations has not been finalized, there is already enough medical and scientific evidence to warrant long-term liability concerns for companies deploying cellular phone towers. In order to protect cell phone tower firms from the ramifications of the failed paths of other industries that have caused unintended human harm (e.g. tobacco) this Current Issue summarizes the peer-reviewed literature on the effects of RFR from cellular phone base stations. Specifically the impacts of siting base stations are closely examined and recommendations are made for companies that deploy them to minimize their potential future liability.
Highlights[edit | edit source]
- Cellular phone networks demand widespread human exposure to radio-frequency radiation (RFR).
- Cellular phone base stations density & power output increasing global human RFR exposure.
- Already enough medical-scientific evidence to warrant long-term liability concerns.
- To protect cell phone tower firms, companies should seek to minimize human RFR exposure.
Keywords[edit | edit source]
environmental externalities; ethics in organizations; corporate misconduct; public management; Radiofrequency radiation (RFR); Antenna arrays; Cellular phone base stations; Microwave sickness; Nonionizing electromagnetic fields; Environmental pollution; Cancer; RFR health effects
See also[edit | edit source]
- A Review of Greenhouse Gas Emission Liabilities as the Value of Renewable Energy for Mitigating Lawsuits for Climate Change Related Damages
- Towards Quantifiable Metrics Warranting Industry-Wide Corporate Death Penalties
- U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emission Bottlenecks: Prioritization of Targets for Climate Liability
- Detecting Covert Legal Killing to Stop A New Approach to Terrorist Intention
- Investing to kill: return on investment of tobacco companies compared to high-mortality and neutral industries
- Quantifying Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Human Deaths to Guide Energy Policy
News[edit | edit source]
- Siting Cell Towers Needs Careful Planning MTU News 14.7k
- How Dangerous are Cell Phone Towers? Labroots 66.9k
- Are Cell Towers Dangerous to Humans and Pets? Gloucester City News
- Businesses need to rethink where they put cell towers Futurity 54.8k
- 选址手机信号塔需要仔细计划 Ox 133k
- The installation of masts must be carefully planned The Media HQ 280k
- Siting cell towers needs careful planning: Health impacts? Long Room 231k
- L'emplacement des tours de cellules nécessite une planification minutieuse News Trotteur 442k