About Me[edit | edit source]
Justine Cook[edit | edit source]
I graduated with a B.A. in Biological Anthropology from Humboldt State University in 2013. Prior to that I earned an A.S. in Health Sciences. My interest in engineering and architecture merged with my backgrounds in anthropology and health studies when I was introduced to the field of Appropriate Technology. In the summer of 2013 I joined Practivistas Dominicana for a six week immersion program in Spanish and Appropriate Technology. During summer of 2014 I returned as a Teaching Assistant for Practivistas Dominicana.
Experience in Development Technology[edit | edit source]
I have the following experience, knowledge or skills relating to development technologies:
- Improved biomass cookstoves - StoveTec Rocket Stove
- Alternative construction - ecoladrillo, alternative concrete blocks (Hullkrete, Papercrete), bamboo, recycled billboard
- Practivistas Dominicana Program - Student 2013, Teaching Assistant 2014
- Humboldt State University - ENGR 535 Development Technology
- Organic Gardening/Farming
CCAT projects my team developed O&M materials for[edit | edit source]
- CCAT rocket stove - Improved biomass cookstove
- CCAT greenshed cob wall - Cob wall with lime plaster and glass "liters of light"
- CCAT greenshed cordwood wall - Cordwood and mortar wall
- CCAT greenshed west wall - Clay-straw slip wall with lime plaster and glass "liters of light"
- CCAT greenshed solar lighting - 100W solar panel on green shed roof that powers LED lights inside
- HEIF CCAT solar hot water system - Solar Thermal system
Appropedia Travel Internship[edit | edit source]
I began working as an Appropedia travel intern in July of 2014. Listed below are the places that I have visited and the pages that I have created and/or contributed to.
Haiti Communitere[edit | edit source]
Haiti Communitere is a non-profit resource center located in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. They provide a space for organizations and communities to experiment with and learn about appropriate technologies and community development ideas.
- Haiti Communitere aquaponics
- Haiti Communitere 3D printing
- Haiti Communitere biodigester toilet
- Haiti Communitere composting toilets
- Haiti Communitere earthship living space
- Haiti Communitere ecoladrillo house
- Haiti Communitere pallet houses
- Haiti Communitere cob plaster
- Haiti Communitere shipping container structures
- Haiti Communitere strawbale house
- Haiti Communitere tire benches
- Haiti Communitere the Elephant Foot
- Haiti Communitere Ubuntu Blox house
Rancho Mastatal[edit | edit source]
Rancho Mastatal is a non-profit environmental learning and sustainable living center located in Mastatal, Costa Rica.
- Rancho Mastatal Starboard Cork house
- Rancho Mastatal Ceiba lounge
- Rancho Mastatal earthen rocket oven
- Rancho Mastatal rocket stove
- Rancho Mastatal the Hooch bamboo house
- Rancho Mastatal the Hankey House
- Rancho Mastatal showers
- Rancho Mastatal composting toilets
- Rancho Mastatal biodigester toilets
- Rancho Mastatal manure biodigester
- Rancho Mastatal aquaponics
- Rancho Mastatal example of mortise and tenon
- Rancho Mastatal biochar stove