太阳能光伏技术是发展最快的行业之一，开源硬件运动（特别是RepRap 3-D 打印机）正在爆炸式增长。由于 Free Appropriate Sustainable Technology ( FAST ) 实验室处于两个热门领域的前沿 - 进入该组的竞争非常激烈。我们每周确实会收到几十封电子邮件申请。也就是说，我们一直在寻找与我们有共同研究兴趣的积极进取的优秀学生。有竞争力的研究生需要成绩和考试成绩在前10%（GRE 90th百分位数分数在verbal 162以上，quantitative 164以上，analytical writing 5以上。国际学生-托福成绩>100，雅思成绩>7.5).理想的申请人在我们的研究领域或密切相关的领域已经建立了历史和投资组合。
Potential Graduate Students
Pearce 博士目前正在寻找博士和硕士级别的学生，以研究开源太阳能光伏系统、分布式回收和增材制造 (DRAM)、自由硬件和开源适用技术 (OSAT) 以及弹性食品。有兴趣的申请人应具有深厚的学术背景，并对我们的目标研究领域表现出兴趣。
- Ph.D. and masters students are generally fully funded, both tuition and monthly stipends. Only the highest quality students interested in a masters degree will be considered. Students are generally ranked in the top 10% of their class or higher at an internationally-reputable institution and have undertaken some major project in applied sustainability before joining the group (e.g. organized Engineers Without Borders chapters at their former schools) or open hardware/software (e.g. founded a hackerspace).
- Dr. Pearce sometimes advises students on non-fully funded projects and in these case students are funded via hourly work or for 'bounties' (e.g. lump sums for the completion of a clearly defined deliverable)
Group Application Process
All of the work that our group does is in part or whole "free and open source" - see our category of Appropedia here. Appropedia is a wiki (editable website like Wikipedia) and the largest user-edited site on the web that concentrates on sustainability, poverty reduction, and appropriate technology. We work on developing a wide range of appropriate technologies and the reasons we use Appropedia are outlined in this paper
If after reading about our work you would like to join, please do the following:
- Set up your own user account on Appropedia (click the upper right on any page on the site).
- Create a user page to describe yourself by clicking on the red link of your username in the upper right after you have logged in, write about your background and projects that are relevant to Appropedia and FAST. Then add your picture. If you haven't used a wiki before see https://www.appropedia.org/Help:Editing. You can use these pages as examples.
- Use your page to experiment and learn wiki markup. After you know what you are doing with wiki editing - then I would like you to write up a formal page on Appropedia for your most relevant and useful project to date in solar or open source hardware with links back to your existing work. FOSS developers - just do a splash page for your best work and link to your github or similar account.
- When this is done - send Dr. Pearce (firstname.lastname@example.org) an email with the links to your user page, project page and your unofficial application materials grades/test scores. If you are qualified and a good match for an open funded project you will be contacted immediately.
- After you send it - if you meet all the requirements I will contact you for a Jitsi interview
- If the interview goes well I will encourage you to apply through the university here
We are both constantly looking for students and applying for funding - sometimes there is not match at the time - we are sorry that we do not always have positions.
Coming to Western and a top student?
- In addition, we sometimes accept volunteers, visiting undergraduate student projects and also sometimes pay via hourly work or for 'bounties' (e.g. lump sums for the completion of a clearly defined deliverable)
- We encourage non-UWO undergrads to visit for the summer, but they will have to apply for their own funding.
- Tech companies often prefer hiring those who have open-source experience — a preference that is only growing stronger.
- All undergraduates should be considering graduate school. Consider the following graph:
- Or consider: a survey by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and other engineering societies found that during the recession - from 2011 to 2013 - the average salary rose almost 5% for engineers.
- Or that engineering unemployment is just 1.9% and down to pre-recession levels, reports IEEE
- Capstones: For Software, Luiz Capretz. For Electrical/Computer Jayshri Sabarinathan. For Mechatronics Abbas Samani
Education Level Average Income  Data source: U.S. Census
- Less than 9th grade $26,293
- 9th to 12th grade, no diploma $27,987
- High school graduate (includes equivalency) $39,976
- Some college, no degree $48,555
- Associate's degree $51,161
- Bachelor's degree $80,478
- Bachelor's degree or more $91,892
- Master's degree $98,268
- Doctoral degree $141,178
Visiting Graduate Students
- We have openings for visiting graduate students. Internships are unpaid (you must have your own funding) and must last at least 3 months. If interested, please send your CV and a statement of your research interests to Joshua Pearce (email@example.com).
- Canada-ASEAN Scholarships and Educational Exchanges for Development (students from ASEAN member countries - Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, The Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam) https://international.uwo.ca/learning/staff_and_faculty/global_affairs_scholarships.html
- Protocol after we talk: Go here.
https://grad.uwo.ca/doc/academic_services/visiting_exchange/VGSForm_InternationalStudents.pdfVISITING GRADUATE STUDENT (Research Only) PLAN For INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS - University of Western OntarioVISITING GRADUATE STUDENT (Research Only) PLAN For INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Form revised March 2017 General Information Visiting Graduate Students (VGS) are allowed to conduct research at the university but do not fall under an approved grad.uwo.ca
So it would go something like this:
- Review this link ^^ and get the home institution to draft a letter with the required info
- Send the items in the checklist to me and I will send on to Courtney
- From there we'll have to craft the invitation letter using the official wording.
- ECE grad associate chair (Aleks) signs off and we sent it to Western International
Apply with the same Appropedia user page and email as a PhD student, then after an interview with me, I would encourage you to review the SGPS Postdoctoral Appointment process at: https://grad.uwo.ca/postdoctoral_services/the_appointment_process.html
The next step would be to complete the online application form at: https://grad.uwo.ca/postdoctoral_services/scholarappointment/
Industry, Visiting Faculty and Visiting Scholars
我们渴望在我们的研究中与行业合作，目前拥有三个访问学者职位和行业相关人员 (Christina Bobier)。如果有兴趣，请联系 Joshua Pearce (firstname.lastname@example.org)。访问学院的机会：https ://www.uwo.ca/research/funding/internal/wrc.html