There is now a professional duty on engineers to formulate systems, technologies and attitudes that will deliver a more sustainable society by adopting an applied sustainability approach across all sectors of engineering.Climate destabilization, resource depletion, inefficiency, wastefulness and pollution are some of the difficult problems we face as a global society. Engineers have a special place in being able to develop solutions and new strategies to deal with these critical subjects, whilst also providing the necessary tools to address global poverty and health issues to create a just sustainable society.
Programs and Courses[edit | edit source]
Courses[edit | edit source]
- At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the famous D-Lab
- ESD166J Sustainable Energy
- SP.721 D-Lab: Development
- SP.722 D-Lab II: Design
- SP.723 D-Lab III: Dissemination
- Sustainable Energy at MIT
- Introduction to Sustainable Development for Engineering and Built Environment Professionals
- MECH4400 - Engineering for Sustainable Development at the U. of W. Australia
- E242A: Sustainable Development, Stanford University
- 2103 Carbon Footprint & Sustainable Development, University of Toronto
- ENVI 436 Engineering for Sustainable Development Cape Breton University: Distance Education
- MECH836 Applied Sustainability, Queen's University, Canada
- MECH425 Engineering for Sustainable Development, Queen's University, Canada
- Sustainable Engineering BEng Hons The Sustainable Engineering course has a broad engineering background with a focus on sustainability issues to produce graduates with a strong sense of the relative impact of engineering processes on the natural environment. Lancaster University.
Programs[edit | edit source]
- MPhil in Engineering for Sustainable Development at the University of Cambridge This course has been specially designed to attract top flight engineers early in their careers to spend a year learning how to become more effective in delivering engineering for sustainable development, through enhanced technical skills, through better understanding of the issues surrounding Sustainable Development, and through an improved awareness of the commercial and management techniques to deliver more sustainable practices in their own working environments.
- Master's Program in Sustainable Development, Copernicus Institute for Sustainable Development and Innovation, Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands
- Sustainable Energy Engineering (SEE) - SEE is a Master of Science Degree Program with three specializations: Sustainable Power Generation, Sustainable Energy Utilization in the Built Environment, and Solar Energy. At The Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden.
- PostgraduateProgram in Sustainability Engineering, International Centre for Sustainability Engineering and Research (ICSER), University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- Stanford's Entrepreneurial Design for Extreme Affordability http://web.archive.org/web/20201229001537/https://extreme.stanford.edu/
- Bachelor of Engineering in Sustainable Energy Engineering at the University of Adelaide in Australia
- Applied Sustainability University of Arkansas http://web.archive.org/web/20120512222512/http://asc.uark.edu/261.asp
- Masters of Science in Sustainable Design - University of Philadelphia - http://www.philau.edu/Green/
- Science for Sustainable Development - Linköping University- http://www.liu.se/en/education/master/programmes/science-for-sustainable-development-120-credits?l=en
- Masters of Energy and Sustainability now offered at University of Denver http://www.universitycollege.du.edu/about/news_events/news.cfm?newsID=190
- Sustainability Institute Masters Program - http://web.archive.org/web/20120310195538/http://www.sustainabilityinstitute.net:80/masters-programme-mainmenu-11
- Masters in Sustainable Development - University of Stirling http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/postgrad/course_info/nat_science/aquacult/sus-dev.php
- Masters in Leadership for Sustainable Development http://web.archive.org/web/20121010073658/http://www.forumforthefuture.org:80/masters-course
- MSc Environment and Sustainable Development University College London http://web.archive.org/web/20100409082706/http://www.ucl.ac.uk:80/DPU/courses/esd.htm
[edit | edit source]
- SPeARTM Sustainable Project Appraisal Routine, a project appraisal methodology, to be used as a tool for rapid review of the sustainability of projects, plans, products and organizations.
- Best foot forward - Tools to measure and communicate environmental impact and sustainability, including an environmental measurement methodology called EcoIndexTM
- Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Development: Energy, Environment, and Health
- the Institution of Civil Engineers' Environment and Sustainability Activity
- Institution of Chemical Engineers Sustainability Metrics – indicators that can be used to measure sustainability performance of an operating unit.
- The Natural Step It provides a visionary blueprint for a sustainable world. As an international advisory and research organization, the Natural Step work with some of the largest resource users on the planet to create solutions, models and tools designed to accelerate global sustainability.
- Engineering for Sustainable Development: Guiding Principles - The Royal Academy of Engineering
- The Forum on Science and Innovation for Sustainable Development An attempt to outline the burgeoning field.
- World Business Council for Sustainable Development
- World Energy Council promotes the sustainable supply and use of energy
- UNESCO Portal for Sustainable Development