|Published by||Phil Green|
|License||CC BY-SA 4.0|
|Automatic translations||Français, Español, 中文, العربية, Русский, Kiswahili and others|
|Cite as "Berlin". Appropedia. 2021. Retrieved 2021-07-28.|
Berlin community action[edit | edit source]
Sustainability initiatives[edit | edit source]
- ufaFabrik, International Center for Culture and Ecology, Berlin
Arts, sport and culture[edit | edit source]
- New neighbourhood, Moabit, non-profit association founded in 2013. "Today we are one of the largest voluntary neighborhood initiatives in Berlin. With our large rooms and our daily program, we create a social and artistic platform for exchange, learning and engagement for the neighborhood from all over the world. We don't help, we learn from each other. Our goal is to influence society, to actively shape it, to create new opportunities for non-hierarchical political and social coexistence. Our work is voluntary." added 14:56, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- Cooperative for Urban Creativity
- Kulturlabor Trial & Error Berlin based non profit, working with crafts, D.I.Y. culture, sustainability, arts and media
See also: Community resources
Cycling activism[edit | edit source]
Ethical consumerism[edit | edit source]
Sustainable Berlin, information from visitberlin.de
Food activism[edit | edit source]
Berlin has a tradition of communal neighborhood gardens (Schraebergaerten) stretching back over 150 years. That tradition lives on in projects like the huge Prinzessinengarten (Princess Garden) in the multicultural Kreuzberg district and the Mauergarten (Wall Garden) in the shadow of the Berlin Wall. This list from Foodtank explores many similar projects.
foodsharing.de (in German) coordinates a network of community food fridges across the country and recruits groups of volunteers to "rescue" food which would otherwise be thrown out from willing shops and producers.
See also: Urban Foraging in Germany
Open spaces[edit | edit source]
- gruen-berlin.de, Green infrastructure and public open spaces for Berlin. "We create open spaces and green infrastructures for a more liveable, social Berlin that is barrier-free for all people and at the same time meets its ecological responsibility as a metropolis in the 21st century." added 15:05, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
Reduce, reuse, repair and recycle[edit | edit source]
- BerlinRepair, cherish, maintain, pass on, added 15:50, 30 April 2021 (UTC)
Sharing[edit | edit source]
The bustling German capital is an amazing city to visit for all sorts of reasons, but it has a lot to offer for those who are interested in cooperatives, squats, and other local sharing projects.
Köpi is a well-known squat where free alternative movie nights are organized three times a week. Discover new films and enjoy cheap drinks while meeting people and learning more about the Berlin squat scene.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Community resources[edit | edit source]
Baumhaus (Treehouse) project space (in German) in the Wedding district is a nonprofit project and event space dedicated to creating a hub for the development of neighborhood sustainable development projects. A repair café, an improvisational orchestra, and a vertical gardening program are just a few of their initiatives.
Leila Berlin (in German) is a thriving tool library in East Berlin that has spawned several imitators across the country. Their selection goes way beyond household carpentry tools. Need to borrow a bicycle helmet, a drill, or a set of wine glasses? Go see them.
Maps[edit | edit source]
News and comment[edit | edit source]
Berlin's Holzmarkt Shows the Incredible Potential of Urban Villages, Aug 23 
The Urban Common Spaces That Show Us We Belong to Something Larger, May 3 
Berliners finally dump the car for love affair with the bicycle, Apr 26 
In Berlin, a Model for Creative and Affordable Housing, Apr 12 
Coming Soon to Berlin: Bike Superhighways, Mar 6 
To engage citizens in planning technology must be matched with a participatory culture, Mar 
Berlin pulls funds out of fossil fuel companies, Jun 23 
Berlin 'borrowing shop' promotes the benefits of sharing, March 17 
30,000 show how fed up they are with industrial food, January 19 
Sehr gut: Why cycling in Berlin is a dream. Wide streets, bikes in parks, cycling culture ... 10 reasons why the German capital is a marvellous place to cycle, April 22
Reichstag to run solely on renewable power, March 21
[edit | edit source]
Wikitravel: Berlin, Get around