- There are many ways to create and edit 3-D models for printing. This page describes just one way of doing it. Experimenting with other methods is encouraged.
- Install Cura version 15.0.4 from .
- Other free and open source software that is worth installing is OpenSCAD, FreeCAD and Blender. These will not be covered in these instructions, but both have a lot of documentation available on the web.
The program to convert an STL file into G-Code is called a slicer. There are several options available. Cura is one of them. For extensive information there is a manual. A quick summary of steps to take for making it work with the Athena printer is below.
- After downloading and installing, start Cura. It will show the First Start Wizard. If it doesn't, you can manually start the wizard by choosing Add new machine from the Machine menu. You can later remove the original machine from the Machine settings menu.
- Layer height (mm): 0.25
- Shell thickness (mm) 1.0
- Bottom/Top thickness (mm): 0.5
- Fill density (%): 25
- Print speed (mm/s): 70
- Printing temperature (C): 210
- Filament Diameter (mm): 1.75
- Flow (%) 100
- Nozzle size (mm) 0.5 (Newer versions of Cura)
- Nozzle size (mm): 0.5 (Older versions of Cura)
- Retraction speed (mm/s): 80
- Distance (mm): 4.5
- Travel speed (mm/s): 200
- G21 (informs Athena to set the units to metric)
- G90 (informs Athena to use absolute positioning)
- G28 (informs Athena to seek its home position before starting - Franklin places it at park position instead)
- M104 S0 (informs Athena to set the hot end temperature to 0, effectively shutting off the hot end)
- G28 (home Athena)
Loading the FilamentEdit
- Once the extruder drive stops, find the extrude text box where +500 was previously typed in and click in it. Press enter again and the filament should advance another 500 mm. Press the Page Up key and increment the extruder by 10mm until the motor makes a grinding sound. The filament is now loaded.
Slicing a FileEdit
- The first file to print will be an Upper Michigan key chain. Right click on the following link, and open in new tab: Upper Michigan Keychain. Once there, find the yooper_peninsulaa.stl file and click on it to begin the download. If a dialogue box opens, select "Save As".
Starting a PrintEdit
- Using a gluestick, apply a thin layer of glue to the mirror that covers the whole mirror.
|Tandem assembly Athena Navigation|
|Green indicate workshop tasks|
|Athena Printed Parts Glossary|
|Assembling hot end|
|Soldering and tinning|
|Drilling Pilot Holes (Optional)|
|Person 1||Person 2|
|Connecting Rods||Epoxying Magnets|
|Motor End Assembly||Idler End Assembly|
|Extruder Drive and Spool Holder||End Effector|
|Firmware and Calibration|