The Sustainable Energy Applied Research Centre (SEARC) is an applied research centre under the school of Applied Science and Computing at St. Lawrence College.
|Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.|
SEARC Spectral Project=[edit | edit source]
Objectives[edit | edit source]
The objective of this project is to measure the full light spectrum (visible & infrared) at seven different angles, including direct and diffuse radiation. This is to simulate the sun striking the photovoltaic panels at seven different angles. This data will be used to better understand the spectral effects on PV, but also to optimize system and device design for a specific geographic location.
Background[edit | edit source]
This project was started by the Queens Applied Sustainability Group over the summer of 2011. On Wednesday April 11/12 Roger Gauthier & Quinn Bentley from SEARC assumed control of managing the equipment from Rob Andrews. SEARC, QAS, MOST and UBP are all collaborating on this project.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Avasoft Ver. 7.5.3 Arduino Uno Ver. 1.0
– Avantes NIR (near infrared fibre optic) Spectrometer
AVS-Rackmount-USB2: 19” Rackmount for USB2 platform multichannel AvaSpec, incl. channel synchronization, USB2-hub and 100 – 240 VAC power supply, supports max. 10 rackmount unit spectrometer channels.
User: Avantes Inc.Date: 04-05-11 Channel(s): 2 Software: Full, Irr
AvaSpec – USB2.0 platform – offers maximum modularity The AvaSpec – USB2.0 platform offers maximum modularity for multi-channel applications. For each channel a different wavelength range, detector and integration time can be selected, without losing the advantage of synchronization between the different channels. The AvaSpec – USB2.0 platform uses the USB2.0 bus to connect the different channels to the PC platform and supports up to 127 channels. Applications that can be realized with the AvaSpec – USB2.0 multi – channel platform:
- Different integration times or averaging settings per channel, still start each scan simultaneously for all synchronized channels - Different detector types, such as UV/VIS and NIR detectors possible to cover a wide wavelength range with one spectrometer system - More than 8 channels (even up to 127 channels) can be connected through USB2 hubs.
2 X Spectrometer Detectors
Sony-ILX554 Ser#1105019U2 Grating – (UA) - Sensitivity - From 200 to 1100 nm
Ham92XX Ser#1105020U2 Grating – (NIR100 – 2.5) - Sensitivity - From 1030 to 2500 nm
AC Power – 120 VAC / 60 Hz / 16VA Fuse T1A/250V (2 X Slow Blow)
USB to Computer 26 Pin D-Connector to Arduino Uno/Motor Apparatus
Start Up Procedure:
- Turn on the main power button on the Avantes NIR Spectrometer. - Start the Avasoft Software Ver. 7.5.3 - File --->Start New Experiment--->
See also[edit | edit source]
- The effect of spectral albedo on amorphous silicon and crystalline silicon solar photovoltaic device performance
- Spectral effects on amorphous silicon photovoltaic cells literature review
- Effects of spectral albedo on solar photovoltaic devices