AthenaII Frame Assembly
Materials and ToolsEdit
|Fixed belt terminator||3|
|Free belt terminator||3|
|LM8UU linear bearing||6|
|M3 x 16mm socket head cap screw||12|
|M3 x 50mm socket head cap screw||12|
|M3 flat washer||18|
|GT2 belt, 133cm long||3|
|8mm guide rod, 590mm long||6|
|Limit switches with wires||3|
|M2 x 12mm socket head cap screw||6|
|M2 flat washer||6|
|NEMA17 stepper motor (short wires)||3|
|16 tooth GT2 pulley w/ 2 setscrews/each||3|
|#6 x 3/4" sheet metal screws||21|
|M8 x 40mm hex head cap screw||3|
|M8 flat washer||9|
|M8 flat washer||9|
|Small wire ties||several|
|Large wire ties||3|
|White lithium grease|
|5.5mm wrenches and/or nut driver|
|2.5mm hex key|
|3mm drill bit and holder|
|Small flat blade screwdriver|
|Screwdriver for sheet metal screws|
- DO NOT DRILL THROUGH MOTOR OR IDLER END GUIDE ROD POCKETS The 8mm holes the steel guide rods are pressed into is NOT a through hole! Mark the drill bit to help keep from drilling through the ends.
- The belt terminators (assembly steps detailed below) have a narrow passage that the belt passes through twice - that passage needs to be cleaned with the precision knife. (During printing of the terminators, small protrusions form, making it very difficult to slide the belt through the passage.) Additional insurance against loss of belt tension is afforded by the small wire ties on the belt tails.
- Remove sharp edges and strings from the printed parts with the precision knife.
- Wipe down the guide rods with a clean, dry cloth or paper towel to remove any abrasive dust that may damage bearings.
- The free belt terminator (shorter) has no special orientation. Slip the opposite end of the belt through the free terminator and make a loop around its end. Pulling the fixed terminator down and the free terminator up, position the belt loop such that it is 25 mm to 35 mm below the fixed terminator. Slide the free terminator towards the loose tail of the loop and hold it in place at the end of the tail. Slide the tail into the terminator and pull the terminator to the end of the loop.
- Repeat the previous five steps with the two remaining apexes.
|AthenaII Printed Parts Glossary|
|Assembling hot end|
|Soldering and tinning|
|Track 1||Track 2||Track 3|
|Connecting Rods||Frame||Epoxying Magnets|
|Epoxying Magnets||Connecting Rods||End Effector|
|Extruder Drive and Spool Holder||Epoxying Magnets||Frame|
|End Effector||Extruder Drive and Spool Holder||Connecting Rods|
|Frame||End Effector||Extruder Drive and Spool Holder|
|Final Mechanical Assembly|
|Firmware and Calibration|